Sponsored

LED Map light install - broken dome light housing tab (ugh)

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
For whoever does this mod in the future the way I did mine on my 14 was pulling the whole thing down then after that my leds didn’t fit I can’t quite remember why. Point being I just pryed the lenses off which was much easier.

The lense has three tabs I believe you can see them from the outside but take a long knife with a thin blade and slowly pry it out being careful. The lense is pretty sturdy so you shouldn’t have any issues but still be careful it does scratch sort of easy and you will put a small nick in the black housing plastic for sure not something huge but if you’re ocd then heads up you might wanna do the side towards the windshield if it’ll bother you.

This method is usually better for me since I don’t break any tabs on the housing and if anything I’ll go to a junkyard and pull a lense rather than a whole housing. Not to mention the led usually fits better going in this way because the thin part is all you have to get through. If you have a fatter led it won’t fit through the hole it has to if you take off the housing.

If by chance the leds don’t work it’s pretty easy to blow a fuse. I did on my 2014 and all the interior lights after weird so be careful of that.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
What made people pull the whole housing down? They saw someone do it on YouTube?

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
A reiteration of how dumb these clip designs are.

Those four little prongs that criss cross inside the clip digs into the plastic. Also the plastic posts on the housing itself don’t allow the clips to slide off. That’s why these break.

I’m about to wrap the plastic posts with electrical tape to make them snug when the metal clips are on and add some JB Weld Plastic. Fingers crossed this works.
061A63E1-6887-4DF0-934F-B2BC1A3063E3.jpeg
6FAAE347-2C51-4A07-BB70-2D373A8D1A98.jpeg

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I’m at a loss.

I can’t get the house to fit snug up against the headliner anymore.

I tried to JB Plastic Weld the broken piece off and then slide the clip back over it. Won’t stay.

I tried to line the clips and insert holes with electrical tape to create a more snug fit and while it at least keeps the housing from dangling from the wires (for now - until I hit a bump I’m sure) it still has about a 1/4” gap from the headliner and it loose.

I’m gonna have to buy a new one. Hopefully I can find just the housing and use my own guts and not have to buy the entire thing at some stupid high Ford price.

Swanny78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Guy's I feel your pain. I bought some ice blue LED lights yesterday, attempted to fit today. Passenger map light replaced No drama's.. Driver side the bulb housing pushed into the console housing. Spent 30 mins pulling the overhead console off.. Scared to death it would break . After much pulling it came loose.. Clips slightly damaged. Anyway pushed the connector back thru the gap and fitted the led. It came on made a buzz and went out. Tried another bulb and another... No joy. Passenger ones still works. As do glove and boot lights. Just damn driver map light seems broken. Any one had this any ideas. I checked the footwel fuse box and where I thought thee should be a fuse in slot 1 "on demand lighting" it's empty. Other interior lights seems to work so can't be fuse. It's a 2017 GT convertible .. .any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
A buddy sent me some diode dynamics bulbs for my 2018 GT. I watched the quick video from DD and tried it and realized there is something seriously different on this 18. I them found the AM video showing popping off the lens. I grabbed my picks and popped them out no problem. But couldn't get the bulbs out and I wasn't going to shatter the bulb trying with pliers.

Then I tried using picks to oress the sides of the clips... nada. I threw in the towel for the night because i dont want a brand new rattle or worse. I'm waiting for someone who's done it to post up - there either is a simple way im missing or it's one if those "new improved designs" ford implemented thats going to just stay stock.

Hoping for an update from those who have succeeded. Sorry to hear about all the busted plastic guys - that seriously sucks.

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have been put in the same situation anyone know what’s available out there to fix this the portion on my headliner is snapped in half but will hold together the dome light plastic piece is torn

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
It would be nice to hear from the Diode Dynamics rep if there is one on this forum. 18+ installs? What's the trick? We've got your parts but can't put them in.

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I’m pretty bummed out that I even snapped it I didn’t have this problem on my 14 I’m seriously hoping someone who has had the same problem I in can let me know what to do

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be nice to hear from the Diode Dynamics rep if there is one on this forum. 18+ installs? What's the trick? We've got your parts but can't put them in.
Agreed. The install vids make it look easy but it is far from it. I'm not joking when I said I had just about every ounce of strength into mine and it wouldn't pop free. I ended up super gluing mine back up ad there is still a little gap between it and the headliner. I will be buying a new one from Levittown soon though.

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
S
Agreed. The install vids make it look easy but it is far from it. I'm not joking when I said I had just about every ounce of strength into mine and it wouldn't pop free. I ended up super gluing mine back up ad there is still a little gap between it and the headliner. I will be buying a new one from Levittown soon though.
Same here my 14 came out like butter I couldn’t believe I actually managed to break it I have had the car since the 19th I couldn’t believe I had already broken something if levvittown would ever answer that would be great

Desertmedic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EB
I had it happen to me too today. Used some gorilla glue and let it cure. The key is to make sure the little ears are extended out to the sides properly. It seated with a nice click and so far so good.

I got the whole DD kit to swap out all the OEM interior lights for LED’s. Come to find out that the trunk light is already an LED strip light. Are the 18’s like this? Mines a 19.

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I had it happen to me too today. Used some gorilla glue and let it cure. The key is to make sure the little ears are extended out to the sides properly. It seated with a nice click and so far so good.

I got the whole DD kit to swap out all the OEM interior lights for LED’s. Come to find out that the trunk light is already an LED strip light. Are the 18’s like this? Mines a 19.
What portion and where did you apply super glue

Desertmedic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EB
What portion and where did you apply super glue
I put it on both sides of the tab and at the bottom of the tab. I think the bottom of the tab is key because when you push the clip onto the tab it seats against the bottom of the tab. Then I let it all cure for 24 fours before pushing the clips back into the headlinerf holes.
62B212E5-0799-4C3E-9385-F3B695BE82B8.jpeg
Sponsored