Leaking differential (pumpkin)

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Hoping I am the only one with this odd issue. Went to go check the rear axle fluid level I noticed a small leak on the outside of the cover. 19 mustang gt 6 speed. Ive owned many stangs, none ever had this issue. Anyone else know about where axle leaks is it something to do with the independent rear suspension or just the factory not putting the gasket on correctly ? I have an appointment with Ford to fix whatever needs fixing next week .
Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Soooo, what was the problem and was it fixed????
Hoping I am the only one with this odd issue. Went to go check the rear axle fluid level I noticed a small leak on the outside of the cover. 19 mustang gt 6 speed. Ive owned many stangs, none ever had this issue. Anyone else know about where axle leaks is it something to do with the independent rear suspension or just the factory not putting the gasket on correctly ? I have an appointment with Ford to fix whatever needs fixing next week .

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Axle seals or pinion seal is what it is most of the time, Ford slaps them in, hoping the factory applied sealant will hold.....it does not in some cases. The other 2 spots are the drain plug and the diff gasket. All are very easy to fix except the pinion seal it’s a little more involved.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
My axle seals were leaking from the factory (albeit more of a sweat than an actual leak). I finally had time this past weekend to drop the rear cradle and swap them out (along with a bunch of other things that needed replacing) and noticed that both axle seals appeared to have been banged in with a hammer. They both had damage to the outer lip which allowed fluid to seep through. Needless to say I am highly disappointed with Ford's quality...

Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, my right side ( passenger ) axle seal is leaking. My dealer will replace the seal and the bearing next week under the 5/60 warranty. "Hopefully" they won't give me any grief about the car being lowered.

My "un-educated" guess is that because the factory diff bushings are kinda soft that allows for an unreasonable amount of diff movement under acceleration.
I may install the 80 durometer red STEEDA diff bushings in the future.

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yep, my right side ( passenger ) axle seal is leaking. My dealer will replace the seal and the bearing next week under the 5/60 warranty. "Hopefully" they won't give me any grief about the car being lowered.

My "un-educated" guess is that because the factory diff bushings are kinda soft that allows for an unreasonable amount of diff movement under acceleration.
I was concerned the Ford dealer would give me grief because of my blower, but no issue! The tech even complemented my setup :)

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd definitely say your Ford dealer is a...."WINNER"!! I hope mine is also!
I was concerned the Ford dealer would give me grief because of my blower, but no issue! The tech even complemented my setup :)

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had the R.Rear axle seal replaced due to leaking. The FORD tech bulletin also requires the wheel bearing to be replaced also. My dealer allowed the warranty work (5/60) to be done even though I had suspension mods to the car. I'm fortunate to have a "responsible" FORD dealer..............so far. :fistbump:

Sponsored