ShadowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey everyone,

I’ve got a 2016 GT that has some leakage, pics below. The car has had a rough life… built and shipped to Italy where I drove her HARD, then to Germany where I drove her even harder.

The first oil change ever done on the car was at an Italian Ford dealership and the kicker was they didn’t put much if any oil in when they changed it, didn’t realize till I was getting intermittent CEL and surging at highway speeds. Definitely drove it to Austria with that issue… anyway, that’s just some backstory of the poor life this car has had. Unsure if related to this leakage, though the burning oil probably is.

IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0864.jpeg
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Leak from inside of the bellhousing like that is almost guaranteed to be the rear main seal. Not a cheap repair.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Are you asking, or bragging that your car, with barely any oil in it, drove from Italy to Austria? I mean, that is quite a feat, and impressive to say the least! Shoot, I think there's some pretty good hills on that trip...

I'll defer to others on the leak.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I am with others on the leaks. Very likely a rear main seal leak. Not necessarily from running hard but possible. More likely as a WAG from running low on oil. Might have been some occasional starvation of reduced lubrication from low oil. More likely from loss of cooling effect with low oil. Oil is one of the ways an engine is cooled.
Will have to go deep to do the rear main seal as the transmission will have to be removed. Maybe the oil pan also. So may as well figure on a rebuild, a new long block or a replacement engine.
I am guessing it has an automatic and being a 2016 likely has an early version of the ten speed transmission. ( My ignorance may show here as I do not know when the 10 speed was introduced)
Lots of stories about the 10 speed tranny. Even a class action lawsuit I have read. It was a joint effort by GM and Ford so both brands use the same transmission.
I am curious if the flaws in the transmission have been addressed. Sometimes the aftermarket comes up with good solutions with replacement parts better than factory.

Last thing and not on topic. I have done my own oil changes since 1965. Never had a shop do one as yet. Seeing as how I loosen and retorque wheel lug nuts after a visit to a tire shop, I would also likely check the oil myself if ever had one done at a shop. Likely before I left the shop in front of the techs. Gues my question is how common is it that owners who take a car in for an oil change do not check the oil themselves?

OP
OP
ShadowFox

ShadowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are you asking, or bragging that your car, with barely any oil in it, drove from Italy to Austria? I mean, that is quite a feat, and impressive to say the least! Shoot, I think there's some pretty good hills on that trip...

Definitely not bragging lol, it makes me feel dumb knowing I didn’t check. Just giving context as to why I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a catastrophic failure.

I'll defer to others on the leak.
Hello; I am with others on the leaks. Very likely a rear main seal leak. Not necessarily from running hard but possible. More likely as a WAG from running low on oil. Might have been some occasional starvation of reduced lubrication from low oil. More likely from loss of cooling effect with low oil. Oil is one of the ways an engine is cooled.
Will have to go deep to do the rear main seal as the transmission will have to be removed. Maybe the oil pan also. So may as well figure on a rebuild, a new long block or a replacement engine.
I am guessing it has an automatic and being a 2016 likely has an early version of the ten speed transmission. ( My ignorance may show here as I do not know when the 10 speed was introduced)
Lots of stories about the 10 speed tranny. Even a class action lawsuit I have read. It was a joint effort by GM and Ford so both brands use the same transmission.
I am curious if the flaws in the transmission have been addressed. Sometimes the aftermarket comes up with good solutions with replacement parts better than factory.

Last thing and not on topic. I have done my own oil changes since 1965. Never had a shop do one as yet. Seeing as how I loosen and retorque wheel lug nuts after a visit to a tire shop, I would also likely check the oil myself if ever had one done at a shop. Likely before I left the shop in front of the techs. Gues my question is how common is it that owners who take a car in for an oil change do not check the oil themselves?
Used to change my own oil, became difficult to do in Italy and Germany with their rules and getting the proper oil and filters and disposal. It’s a 6 speed, but I definitely slack on verifying work others do.
Sponsored