Sponsored

Leaked: 2019 GT500 5.2L Supercharged Engine Wiring CAD Diagram from Ford!

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The previous car even though it was rated at 200 mph, tapped out at 196 or 197 mph on one of the test reviews. I am hoping the new beast to deliver that 200 mph mark.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The previous car even though it was rated at 200 mph, tapped out at 196 or 197 mph on one of the test reviews. I am hoping the new beast to deliver that 200 mph mark.
The new car is more aerodynamic and will have much more power. It'll pass 200.

Even the zl1 is doing an average of 197 as claimed by GM.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
197 was pretty good for the test conditions. Hitting a true top speed takes a ton of room. Don't forget if that last 3mph would take a minute of acceleration thats over 3 miles of road burned.

The high speed bowls produce lower speeds than a straight road too, but are kind of needed for having an infinitely long road without traffic to test on.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I understand 200 mph as a goal, but I'd rather see a car with more aerodynamic aids to help it turn corners rather than a super slippery shape that's set up for straight line speed only. I can't imagine Ford using active aero on the car - although that would be very cool.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
I understand 200 mph as a goal, but I'd rather see a car with more aerodynamic aids to help it turn corners rather than a super slippery shape that's set up for straight line speed only. I can't imagine Ford using active aero on the car - although that would be very cool.
active aero as in mechanically assisted/adjustable I'd highly doubt, Some of the Ferrari's have aero that changes with the pressure and deflection of wind at speed, that may be a possibility.

I'm interested in a LIFT or Driveway mode to help from ripping off whatever Aero they put on it.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
It is my understanding that active aero is what put weight back into the Ford GT. I doubt we'd see any on the GT500 as the S550 platform doesn't have any weight to spare.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Thinking Aero

I understand Ford's been aero testing this car and I'm sure it will come with a front splitter and aero tricks. If you combine the low aero front splitter with the magneride suspension will Ford have a "driveway" mode for the car/suspension?

I have a 2013 300 SRT8 and wish it had this feature, the new Ford GT has a mode such as this and I think would help negotiate drives and speedbumps. Any knowledge on this front?
Added weight and cost, not going to happen. The MR dampers use a fluid that allows variance in viscosity but not alterations in elevation.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
[ame]
Just what 750 hp can do in this chassis. Granted it’s proably less weight and has less drag, but have a hunch the GT500 will be over 200.
Since we’re gonna have a dct we can use a cord attached to a left pedal and it will raise and lower the wing this way. ;) J/K.
Kinda like using a parking brake. It’s the poor mans active aero.

Last edited:

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Added weight and cost, not going to happen. The MR dampers use a fluid that allows variance in viscosity but not alterations in elevation.
Thanks EP, how does the Ford GT do it? I get your point on the viscosity of MR dampers and that it changes response vs ride height.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Thanks EP, how does the Ford GT do it? I get your point on the viscosity of MR dampers and that it changes response vs ride height.
The GT also added weight with its adjustable suspension. It uses a torsion bar at the pushrod bellcrank, and on the opposite end of the torsion bar is a coil spring basically inside a hydraulic cylinder. In normal mode, both the torsion bar and coil spring are active, at normal ride height and provide a softer spring rate. In Track and VMax mode, the hydraulic cylinder compresses and locks out the coil spring. This lowers the car, and creates a new spring rate which only utilizes the torsion bar, making it stiffer. So essentially its hydraulically lowered/raised.

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
The GT also added weight with its adjustable suspension. It uses a torsion bar at the pushrod bellcrank, and on the opposite end of the torsion bar is a coil spring basically inside a hydraulic cylinder. In normal mode, both the torsion bar and coil spring are active, at normal ride height and provide a softer spring rate. In Track and VMax mode, the hydraulic cylinder compresses and locks out the coil spring. This lowers the car, and creates a new spring rate which only utilizes the torsion bar, making it stiffer. So essentially its hydraulically lowered/raised.
So it's got switches? Kidding. Great explanation - thank you.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me or did the gt500 take too long to come out that it lost it's luster?:shrug:

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Tom Petty - "The waiting is the hardest part".

It should be a great car for the money and the wait will be forgotten. I have a conversation going with my dealer - 1st in inline. I'll know the 18th of this month when I'm at the NAIAS if it's enough to part with my 03 and spend the $ for this one.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I don't know if it has completely lost its luster but it is trying my patience and greying my hair!!
When I sold my car a year and a half ago in anticipation of it I never figured I would still be waiting to see it unveiled! Hopefully the wait will be worth it!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I sold my GT350 in preparation for one as well. Really looking forward to it with quite a bit of anticipation.
Sponsored

Last edited: