Sponsored

Kooks headers with Green cats and CEL

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
Same for me (New York). Just not worth the headache to me.
while i no longer live on long island, my car before my mustang was a wrx with a catless downpipe and external gate and passed ny inspection every year..at the dealer no less. as long as there was no cel, it passed, all that was adjusted in the tune, i imagine the mustang is the same. where i live now there are no emissions what so ever so i got nothing to worry about..

OP
OP

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It won't fly in VA. Newer cars aren't put on the machine. The inspector hooks up to the OBD port and looks for hard and soft codes and readiness tests. Any of those don't cut it, you don't pass. What alot of tuners are doing is disabling or fooling the ECU into thinking the rear O2 sensor isn't​ there or working fine. The problem is it won't pass a readiness test and that's a fail. There's also supposed to be a visual check for emissions equipment. It isn't always done, but if it is and cats aren't there, ya fail.

Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
I'm not 100% yet, but you should be fine the way I have mine. You could probably get away with other models with cats and spacers on the rear sensors. I've done this before on other cars. Readiness checks are fine and there shouldn't be any soft or hard codes.

The way they do it here in VA is they hook up to the OBD port, check for hard or soft codes and make sure the readiness checks have been completed. They're supposed to do a visual inspection, but it rarely happens.

The Kooks green headers have an EPA stamp on the cats and are 49 or 50 state legal, so you might get lucky like some of the others and not even have to fight the CEL gremlins. Even if you don't, the spacers are a 10 minute switch.
kooks has a 2 year warranty on their green cats. you should have been able to send them back for new ones.

stang9779

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
never mind.
Sponsored

Last edited: