crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Emissions is the only thing that is holding me back from LT headers. I believe my state only checks via OBD port. In that case my rear O2 sensor needs to remain active and have no codes.
I'm not 100% yet, but you should be fine the way I have mine. You could probably get away with other models with cats and spacers on the rear sensors. I've done this before on other cars. Readiness checks are fine and there shouldn't be any soft or hard codes.

The way they do it here in VA is they hook up to the OBD port, check for hard or soft codes and make sure the readiness checks have been completed. They're supposed to do a visual inspection, but it rarely happens.

The Kooks green headers have an EPA stamp on the cats and are 49 or 50 state legal, so you might get lucky like some of the others and not even have to fight the CEL gremlins. Even if you don't, the spacers are a 10 minute switch.
Sponsored

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB PP 6MT Navi 401A.
Emissions is the only thing that is holding me back from LT headers. I believe my state only checks via OBD port. In that case my rear O2 sensor needs to remain active and have no codes.
Same for me (New York). Just not worth the headache to me.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Same for me (New York). Just not worth the headache to me.
Which is why I may just put the money towards a super charger and just run the stock cats.

Chris@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
A lot of people are not getting a CEL and then there are a few people that dude throw the CEL. Kooks has seen about 80% of customers with the green cat not throw a CEL, so it is hard to say if your CEL would illuminate or not.

EvilRoosterJr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver 2015 V6
so from what I've read, you could get the non green kooks if you've got a tune or buy the angled CEL fix and be fine until emissions if thats a problem in your area, or spend the extra $500 and get the green and run the risk of having to buy the angled CEL fix or tune in the future?

I'm not sure if $500 is worth a maybe. the inspection is not my concern at all as I have many mechanics in my family, I just feel that if you're one of the people who get the codes the only thing you've gotten out of the $500 is that it doesn't smell quite as bad as the other high flow cats. Am I correct in assuming this or can anyone provide more clarification to the benefits?

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
so from what I've read, you could get the non green kooks if you've got a tune or buy the angled CEL fix and be fine until emissions if thats a problem in your area, or spend the extra $500 and get the green and run the risk of having to buy the angled CEL fix or tune in the future?

I'm not sure if $500 is worth a maybe. the inspection is not my concern at all as I have many mechanics in my family, I just feel that if you're one of the people who get the codes the only thing you've gotten out of the $500 is that it doesn't smell quite as bad as the other high flow cats. Am I correct in assuming this or can anyone provide more clarification to the benefits?
Smell is better than performance cats in my opinion. Unfortunately I'm in the unlucky 10% that get the catalytic converter code. :(

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I'm curious if my tuner can just tune the CEL out and keep my rear O2 sensors active. If that can be done I should be fine with any catted header for NJ inspections. If I'm wrong then someone can tell me.

OP
OP

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm curious if my tuner can just tune the CEL out and keep my rear O2 sensors active. If that can be done I should be fine with any catted header for NJ inspections. If I'm wrong then someone can tell me.
You'd have to do some research. Some tunes just suppress the rear sensors, some fool the ECU. Then look into NJ and see what the criteria is for passing. Things such as readiness tests may or may not important to passing.

Sponsored

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I completely forgot to update. I haven't had a CEL since I put the spacers in the O2 sensors. I think an inspector doing a quick inspection will miss them even being there, so I'm happy.
How is this going? still no CEL with the spacers?

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
How is this going? still no CEL with the spacers?
Mine went away for a few weeks and then come back again. I don't have spacers though.

I managed to talk to the manufacturer of the catalytic converters. They suggested that exhaust leaks can cause too much oxygen to get into the exhaust stream and cause the process to not function. They suggested sealing the system really good to ensure there is no code.

Mine isn't leaking but I still have the code. The thought is that the system is very sensitive and mine just weren't sufficient.

OP
OP

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Mine went away for a few weeks and then come back again. I don't have spacers though.

I managed to talk to the manufacturer of the catalytic converters. They suggested that exhaust leaks can cause too much oxygen to get into the exhaust stream and cause the process to not function. They suggested sealing the system really good to ensure there is no code.

Mine isn't leaking but I still have the code. The thought is that the system is very sensitive and mine just weren't sufficient.
It is possible. If you decide to reseal, use muffler cement. The stuff's a huge mess, but it works.

Without going into huge amounts of details, the easiest way is the spacers.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
It is possible. If you decide to reseal, use muffler cement. The stuff's a huge mess, but it works.

Without going into huge amounts of details, the easiest way is the spacers.
Likely it is or have a tuner turn them off. Personally, I'd like to see them work as that is the reason I bought them. If all else fails, then I'll likely find a work around like spacers.
Sponsored