Sponsored

Installing Kooks headers with green cats-a question and advice please

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey everyone! I'm going to be installing Kooks 1 3/4" headers with the green cats soon, and I had one quick question: Kooks says that they're not supposed to throw any codes and that I should be good to go for emissions (testing here is done via the OBD port). My question is this: has this been the case for those here that have them? My understanding is that a tune can turn any code off, but that the OBD scan will pick it up and fail the car. I'm not 100% set on a tuner, but I'm leaning towards Lund due to the feedback here. Do tuners automatically tune for codes to be turned off, or can I ask that they don't? I just want to check to make sure Kooks is correct and I'm not going to have issues with emissions.

I've tried to read up as much as I can on header installs, but if anyone else has anything to add, I'm all ears! I'm going to make sure I have ratcheting wrenches and plenty of patience!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
The Green cats are the closest you'll get to not needing a tune with a long tube header. From my discussions with Kooks, over 90% of Fords end up not throwing a CEL on the stock tune with their headers and Green cats. As far as the tuner goes, you'll have to discuss that with them to see if that's something they want to wrapped up in as there is a lot of liability if they get a car to force pass a readiness test. If you have any questions about the Kooks exhaust, let us know!

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Derek, I sent you a quick PM.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Green cats here and Whipple tune for over a year and not one code ever [emoji106]

Sponsored

dogpig66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Taking a stab with the AFE Twisted Steel Catted headers. They too claim to not drop codes... we'll see how they do. Oh, and I got them for a great price during Lethal's Easter sale!!!!

steviebee72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, FJG
i have the kooks and green cats. no tune.
check engine light has come on twice in 6 months. but will disappear after a few days of driving and go away. i have no clue if that would fail emissions, dont have to worry for 5 years. and i didnt bother to read the code. sry.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
i have the kooks and green cats. no tune.
check engine light has come on twice in 6 months. but will disappear after a few days of driving and go away. i have no clue if that would fail emissions, dont have to worry for 5 years. and i didnt bother to read the code. sry.
Interesting. Do you have any other mods? I'm guessing that I would pass emissions as long as there is no CEL since it's done by an OBD scan where I live, but I really don't know. Worst case scenario I have to swap headers before getting tested in another year or two (I can't remember when it starts).

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Did you guys reuse the factory studs with the Kooks headers, or use the supplied bolts? What about the gaskets?

steviebee72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, FJG
Interesting. Do you have any other mods? I'm guessing that I would pass emissions as long as there is no CEL since it's done by an OBD scan where I live, but I really don't know. Worst case scenario I have to swap headers before getting tested in another year or two (I can't remember when it starts).

borla touring catback. still with the factory connect, so probably not the best setup, but have the requirement to go back to stock headers at some point.
no tune, no intake, upr oil separator
GT350 wheel, but that only adds about 25 hp

I did reuse 2 or 3 of the factory studs, my kooks came with stage 8 locking bolts which are Awesome and expensive so i used them, last mustang i had i had to retighten header bolts a few times. used the front most stud to help position the headers.

Sponsored

RogerS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP 50th
Taking a stab with the AFE Twisted Steel Catted headers. They too claim to not drop codes... we'll see how they do. Oh, and I got them for a great price during Lethal's Easter sale!!!!
Would be interested in seeing your results. Afe is way less expensive than Kooks and if the cats don't throw codes, they would be a good option in my situation, too.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
borla touring catback. still with the factory connect, so probably not the best setup, but have the requirement to go back to stock headers at some point.
no tune, no intake, upr oil separator
GT350 wheel, but that only adds about 25 hp

I did reuse 2 or 3 of the factory studs, my kooks came with stage 8 locking bolts which are Awesome and expensive so i used them, last mustang i had i had to retighten header bolts a few times. used the front most stud to help position the headers.
Mine came with those bolts as well. Guess it might be worth using them then. Thanks for the help!

dogpig66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Got my AFEs for around $1350 and had a local shop ceramic coat them for $270. Finally had them installed this last week. The AFEs with MRT H-pipe and Borla S-type axle back is sounding perfect. Only drove it a couple of days so far, and no codes yet.

WojoRCPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, PP, Roush Charged
Had a local shop install my Kooks 1 7/8 headers with the green cats. Got the headers and cats for $1856 with a $500 install. I have a Roush Stage 1 supercharger with the Roush tune and I have no problems at all. No codes anywhere. Had the headers installed after the supercharger. The headers cam with gaskets and all hardware. Kooks have a complete package.
Sponsored