Key Fob

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Only have one key fob for my car, I should really get another. For those who have gotten replacements, is it best to go to a dealership? Anyone had any luck with local shops? I ordered one from OEMcarkeymall.com or something like that and it was not the right key, even though I was assured it was correct.

what did you pay? im guessing around $300 for the key, and having it cut and programmed. I suppose i can program it myself but obviously cannot cut a blank myself. suck it up and go to a dealer or try my luck at a local shop?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Only have one key fob for my car, I should really get another. For those who have gotten replacements, is it best to go to a dealership? Anyone had any luck with local shops? I ordered one from OEMcarkeymall.com or something like that and it was not the right key, even though I was assured it was correct.

what did you pay? im guessing around $300 for the key, and having it cut and programmed. I suppose i can program it myself but obviously cannot cut a blank myself. suck it up and go to a dealer or try my luck at a local shop?
Recent thread on this subject.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/program-key-fob.157795/

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I didn't read the link above but a couple things.

You can't program a fob yourself with only one active fob.

The dealer I bought mi e from uses a local independent locksmith. The one that made my 2nd fob had everything needed in his van, key cutter (by VIN) and software/interface to clear old fobs and program new. Took about 20 minutes.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
I didn't read the link above but a couple things.

You can't program a fob yourself with only one active fob.

The dealer I bought mi e from uses a local independent locksmith. The one that made my 2nd fob had everything needed in his van, key cutter (by VIN) and software/interface to clear old fobs and program new. Took about 20 minutes.
Thanks for the info. It was a local shop who pointed out to me that the fob I got online was a ford fob that likely had a mustang cover put on a fob for a different Ford model. I forget what was different, maybe the fcc number. He said there was a chance it would work fine, and a chance certain functions wouldn't work, and recommended returning it.

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I bought my car from an out-of-town dealer with one fob (lesson learned! *smack* I coulda had a V8!) and had been scraping by with the FordPass app that can open my doors if I really needed it. But then, the car is pretty smart about not letting you lock the keys inside as long as neither the car's nor the fob's battery is dead.

I looked into local locksmith programming coupled with ebay purchase, and decided it wasn't worth it - I eventually went to a local dealership and plonked down my $200 for a fob that now sits in my change dish just in case.
Fob.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
I bought my car from an out-of-town dealer with one fob (lesson learned! *smack* I coulda had a V8!) and had been scraping by with the FordPass app that can open my doors if I really needed it. But then, the car is pretty smart about not letting you lock the keys inside as long as neither the car's nor the fob's battery is dead.

I looked into local locksmith programming coupled with ebay purchase, and decided it wasn't worth it - I eventually went to a local dealership and plonked down my $200 for a fob that now sits in my change dish just in case.
Fob.jpg
i bought mine from a dealer about 2 hours away from me in WI, they said they never received the 2nd fob and theyd call me if they did. this was april, so i think it's safe to say it aint comin...

i have noticed that about the vehicle not allowing you to lock your key in it-but that is a great point about the battery in either the fob or vehicle battery being dead. i didnt think of that. i had an 18 explorer prior to this mustang that had the ford pass app where i could remote lock/unlock, remote start, set a timer/alarm for remote start... all of that and it worked great. with the mustang, i dont have that anymore. i can look up the basic info, vehicle VIN, oil life, mileage. i think that's about it, and half the time it doesnt even work from my phone. even when it does work, it never had the remote lock/unlock/start engine like it did on the explorer. i am guessing this is part of an electronics package that my mustang does not have? it's a GT Premium PP1, but i dont know exactly how it was optioned out. The explorer was a Sport and had most of the available options, eg. adaptive cruise, lane keeping system, mirrors that alert to blind spot traffic, etc. the mustang has none of that. im guessing that's all part of a specific package, and maybe that's why my ford pass no longer can do the fancy remote start/lock/unlock.

anyways, im rambling. sounds like i need to suck it up and take it to a dealership.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red

Fob.jpg
Had a buddy that kept spare keys on hooks near the front door. He was gone one day and had a break in. They got some big fancy SUV and a Lexus sports car.

I keep my spares hidden.

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
I bought my GT used from a Jag dealer across the state. I didn't check the second fob, and the next day noticed it had a Ford emblem rather than the Mustang, and didn't work. I took it to a local dealer, who reprogrammed it under warranty. But the physical back-up key to unlock the doors was wrong. Dealer said that wasn't their fault, and did not have the equipment to fabricate the key. They sent me to another nearby Ford dealer, who fixed it up for $50.
All very puzzling, but now I have two operating fobs. And I can tell them apart, because one says "Ford", and the other has a pony on it.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
I bought my GT used from a Jag dealer across the state. I didn't check the second fob, and the next day noticed it had a Ford emblem rather than the Mustang, and didn't work. I took it to a local dealer, who reprogrammed it under warranty. But the physical back-up key to unlock the doors was wrong. Dealer said that wasn't their fault, and did not have the equipment to fabricate the key. They sent me to another nearby Ford dealer, who fixed it up for $50.
All very puzzling, but now I have two operating fobs. And I can tell them apart, because one says "Ford", and the other has a pony on it.
the way that is was described to me is that they can switch the plates to the regular "FORD", to the Horse, or maybe the shelbys have a snake, etc. and the fob shape and buttons may be the same, and they switch the plate. the guy who looked at mine said it may have been from a Fusion or an F150. it had all the same buttons, lock, unlock, remote start, trunk, panic. all the same. but a small number on it was different. he said that it was for a different model, something other than a mustang, and i guess depending on how the vehicle it came from was optioned, it may work for my car, or it may not. he told me starting the vehicle with the fob inside the car would work regardless, but features such as remote lock/unlock/remote trunk open may or may not work. he cautioned me and said return it, otherwise i may pay him all the money and not have important features that i wanted.

i mean, what good is the key fob after all if you cant stand behind it and start it with the fob, and get a front row seat to that nice 5.0 cold start.... :cwl: :rockon:

bit of a pain in the balls here, but live and learn i guess.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
first. these numbers on the inside determine if it will work or not. Doesn’t matter what Ford it came from.
second. I purchased mustang 2015 with one key. Purchased a spare on eBay with matching numbers then programs it my self even though I only had one working fob. You just have to know what you are doing and have forscan. Now cutting the key you are on your own. Also any locksmith worth his salt can program afob in 10-20 minutes

5AF5805B-21F7-4411-A1A7-9DBD87047D79.jpeg

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
i bought mine from a dealer about 2 hours away from me in WI, they said they never received the 2nd fob and theyd call me if they did. this was april, so i think it's safe to say it aint comin...
Next time, I'll just work that into the deal and get it over with right away. "Throw in another fob, or I walk" and all that. đź—ť

i had an 18 explorer prior to this mustang that had the ford pass app where i could remote lock/unlock, remote start, set a timer/alarm for remote start... all of that and it worked great. with the mustang, i dont have that anymore. i can look up the basic info, vehicle VIN, oil life, mileage. i think that's about it, and half the time it doesnt even work from my phone. even when it does work, it never had the remote lock/unlock/start engine like it did on the explorer. i am guessing this is part of an electronics package that my mustang does not have? it's a GT Premium PP1, but i dont know exactly how it was optioned out.
I also have a GT Premium PP1, and I do think it was part of the premium package. I did have to futz with the app some, and there is probably a way to disable some of the communications stuff from within the car's configuration menus - that might be something to explore.

sounds like i need to suck it up and take it to a dealership.
Only if you're lazy like me. :like: As others have mentioned, there are cheaper ways to go that require greater effort than I expended.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Next time, I'll just work that into the deal and get it over with right away. "Throw in another fob, or I walk" and all that. đź—ť

I also have a GT Premium PP1, and I do think it was part of the premium package. I did have to futz with the app some, and there is probably a way to disable some of the communications stuff from within the car's configuration menus - that might be something to explore.

Only if you're lazy like me. :like: As others have mentioned, there are cheaper ways to go that require greater effort than I expended.
i tried that with the dealership, they wouldnt budge, and i did like the car a lot. the way prices have gone lately, it ended up working out, i havent found another similarly optioned car with similar mileage and condition since, so paying a few hundred extra for a fob if i have to works out in the end.

Ill look into the menus a bit more when i get a chance, thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
first. these numbers on the inside determine if it will work or not. Doesn’t matter what Ford it came from.
second. I purchased mustang 2015 with one key. Purchased a spare on eBay with matching numbers then programs it my self even though I only had one working fob. You just have to know what you are doing and have forscan. Now cutting the key you are on your own. Also any locksmith worth his salt can program afob in 10-20 minutes

5AF5805B-21F7-4411-A1A7-9DBD87047D79.jpeg
Gotcha. maybe I misunderstood as he was explaining it, definitely possible. thanks for the info though, good to know there are some options.
Sponsored