Sponsored

Keeping car post warranty... extended warranty a must?

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
You just have to wait 40 years:). There is no doubt in my mind that if you manage to keep your GT350 in good shape for 40 years it will sell way above sticker, and you probably don't have to wait that long..
My job is a major supplier to the automotive industry, and we had a discussion today about this relating to long term value. The way things are going, most likely within 20 years there will be legislation to obsolete driver controlled gas power vehicles as alternate powered autonomous vehicles will be the only vehicles allowed on the roads. The industry is quickly moving in that direction driven by what is developing in Europe and Asia. I am plan on keeping my GT350 for a long time, but am concerned this trend will make our cars worthless. There will always be a collector market, but the value of any car would most likely be be devastated if driving them on the roads is regulated, or worse case outlawed.
Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
My job is a major supplier to the automotive industry, and we had a discussion today about this relating to long term value. The way things are going, most likely within 20 years there will be legislation to obsolete driver controlled gas power vehicles as alternate powered autonomous vehicles will be the only vehicles allowed on the roads. The industry is quickly moving in that direction driven by what is developing in Europe and Asia. I am plan on keeping my GT350 for a long time, but am concerned this trend will make our cars worthless. There will always be a collector market, but the value of any car would most likely be be devastated if driving them on the roads is regulated, or worse case outlawed.
Interesting for sure. I am pretty sure that a transition period will include a grandfather clause for people who have gas powered cars time to get whatever type of car that is required. The complete move to non gas cars will upheaval several markets, one being the traditional mod market.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Heck, they made over half a million '65 Mustangs and V8 fastbacks with partial restorations are selling for $30K. I really don't think there is any doubt that the GT350 and R will be classics, the only real question is when and if you can wait that long. If you're thinking it's going to turn classic in the next 5-10 years, you are wrong. 15-20, maybe, but probably not. 20+, almost for sure.
I would agree with you a few years back but the more I think about it...and see the accelerated hybrid/electric schedule...non-car-guys running Ford...government attempting to insert electronic controls in new cars.... It makes me wonder if these last rounds of drivers cars will get a boost in value sooner, than later.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
That's one theory. I think there are many ways this can go...many technologies that could disrupt how car-people look at the hobby and values across the board. A huge swing to work-from-home jobs would reduce traffic substantially...maybe someone will figure out the flying thing... All of the self-driving technologies still lean towards interstate driving as their bread and butter - perhaps it will only be required there? People will hold out - they don't want to be forced to get rid of that Toyota in 10 years just because it's old - they spent their money on it. We have a 15yo Tacoma that my wife loves and I cant imagine being told that I cant use the car I paid for, in America. I think any kind of FULL driverless society is a waaaays off. 20 years plus.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That definitely could happen. There are people in office right now who want to outlaw beef. So crazy.

A lot of that same side of the aisle wants to regulate almost everything, and fast cars of any kind - even for off-road use only - could be made illegal. It all depends on who we vote for.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That definitely could happen. There are people in office right now who want to outlaw beef.
That's a smoke screen. Technically, they say they want to eliminate cow flatulence. The proposed law is secretly being pushed by the powerful Bean-o lobby.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Boils down to did you buy to drive or play the waiting game?
We will all be driving electric cars in a blink of the eye...or a generation of time.
A petro ingesting 32 Valve v8 will be a thing of beauty in a few years.

This. Recent auctions are showing that even 90s fox body mustangs are bringing ridiculous prices for cars that were bought and barely driven. What's the point of buying an amazing car like the GT350 and never driving it?? I bought mine to drive, don't plan to sell it and don't care what it's worth in 20 years.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
My factory warranty was expiring last May when I bought the FloodFord esp...I have an average of 5,000 mi driving each year so I bought the 6/36,000 pkg for 600-700 dollars...did that alone for peace of mind should a future a/c issue arise. .

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That's a smoke screen. Technically, they say they want to eliminate cow flatulence. The proposed law is secretly being pushed by the powerful Bean-o lobby.
Funny post, but I have trouble laughing when there are people actively talking about enslaving us.

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Any company who offers an extended warranty is in the business to make money. They have an actuary team who sets the prices based on past repairs and a forecast for future repairs. They set the prices to make money. If you pay their price for the warranty and buy it for all your cars, they are sure to win in the long run. Personally, I'm against buying any sort of extended warranty. Just save all the money you would spend on extended warranties in a rainy day fund and you will come out ahead. I'm not sure why this car should be any different from any other car regarding the extended warranty. The extended warranty price tells me the GT350 is good. Yes, there have been a few engine problems here and there. Some on this forum would have you believe all of them are going to blow and the sky is falling. If that were the case, the extended warranty would cost a lot more.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Any company who offers an extended warranty is in the business to make money. They have an actuary team who sets the prices based on past repairs and a forecast for future repairs. They set the prices to make money. If you pay their price for the warranty and buy it for all your cars, they are sure to win in the long run. Personally, I'm against buying any sort of extended warranty. Just save all the money you would spend on extended warranties in a rainy day fund and you will come out ahead. I'm not sure why this car should be any different from any other car regarding the extended warranty. The extended warranty price tells me the GT350 is good. Yes, there have been a few engine problems here and there. Some on this forum would have you believe all of them are going to blow and the sky is falling. If that were the case, the extended warranty would cost a lot more.
I normally agree with you for daily driver type stuff, but tracking it regularly changes my outlook for this car...

Blue_Voodoo5.2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Shelby GT350
Anyone have any experience with Zurich as a warranty company through Ford? I live in FL and Flood Ford ESP was not an option for me. I went ahead and pulled the trigger for a Zurich warranty offered on my 2017 CPO through a ford dealer last week. The package I bought was 6 year/75k mile bumper to bumper from the time of purchase if I remember correctly. On the off chance this thing needs a motor, does anyone have experience dealing with Zurich on the GT350 power train? The company has excellent customer satisfaction ratings, and I made sure to specifically verify that power train was covered in the terms of my agreement on the warranty.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I would not buy an extended warranty. It's a scam.

My insurance covers flood, vandalism, hurricanes, and other stuff.

Blue_Voodoo5.2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Shelby GT350
I would not buy an extended warranty. It's a scam.

My insurance covers flood, vandalism, hurricanes, and other stuff.
Does your insurance cover blown $17,500 5.2 voodoo engine failures?
Sponsored