Sponsored

Keeping car post warranty... extended warranty a must?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,
Would you buy and extended Ford warranty if you would keep the car past expiration? Mine expires in May, and I am on the fence on what to do...

Is there something cheaper and better than Ford's, or would you go with them as they will also fix the car if something happens.

I never ever bough warranties for cars so I am a bit hesitant. It seems to be around 95 bucks a month for Basic care which covers most of engine, transmission and steering, up to 2021, 36k miles .

Many thanks for any input.
Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I bought the online flood ford with deductible for 1k. I believe it is 84 months or 70k miles (GT). Certainly for peace of mind.

Only the genuine Ford warranty is the one to get.

And you certainly can’t mod the car in any HP increase sort of way. I’m only using the X pipe and nothing else. In other words if you’ve done say a tune don’t bother.

Last edited:

ace_gt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
I recently purchased a 2017 GT350 with 2,000 miles. The original bumper to bumper has about 2 years left. I do plan to keep this car for a long time and definitely plan to buy an extended warranty for it. Like you, I have never purchased an extended warranty but I think it would be a good idea for these cars. Please let us know if you decide to go for it and what mileage/year extension you bought!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hold on to your hat. Warranties have increased dramatically over the last year or so.

If you are a person who can work on his own car and do this stuff yourself, I would not get the warranty. If you are not capable of things like an engine refresh or rebuild, I'd get the warranty.

edited to add:

Keep in mind, the powertrain warranty is 5yr/60K miles. The rest of the car is fluff if you ask me. The factory service manual covers all the systems of the car and diagnostics to get it done.

Prepare to write a big check if you move forward with the warranty.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Hold on to your hat. Warranties have increased dramatically over the last year or so.

If you are a person who can work on his own car and do this stuff yourself, I would not get the warranty. If you are not capable of things like an engine refresh or rebuild, I'd get the warranty.

Prepare to write a big check.
Tom, I imagine that is 95% of the people on this forum...

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Another thought....

All this "oh my god" oil consumption hysteria has scared a lot of people into a false concern. It is widely believed that leaky valve seals or valve assemblies are the reason for the oil consumption on some of these engines. Even if you can't do it yourself, to pay someone for that kind of work would be what? 3K? That's a hell of a lot cheaper than the $6K extended warranty that they quoted me for JR357.

Edited to add: When the powertrain warranty is expired, replace the OPG.

Put a $100 bill in a jar every month and if something like that should come along, it will hurt a lot less.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

edited to add:

Keep in mind, the powertrain warranty is 5yr/60K miles. The rest of the car is fluff if you ask me. The factory service manual covers all the systems of the car and diagnostics to get it done.

It cost me 1000 to add 3 years to powertrain. Not bad.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
upload_2019-2-25_11-44-32.png
upload_2019-2-25_11-47-33.png
For those of us who do not drive all year long, Flood Fords ExtraCARE is affordable.Covers all the big ticket items. I too will be buying and have been following the prices for 6 months now and they have not changed.

View attachment 343626

View attachment 343627

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It cost me 1000 to add 3 years to powertrain. Not bad.
Post your details. When did you buy the extended warranty? From who? Is it a Ford warranty? Details please.

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Post your details. When did you buy the extended warranty? From who? Is it a Ford warranty? Details please.
Flood Ford. Simply go online now and get an estimate. I agree though makes no sense spending more than that. 1k was acceptable to me and I’ll likely never even need to use it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
$6k for ext warr? tom i think you need to inquire with flood ford.
I live in FL. I cannot buy from flood ford.

I was quoted $6326 for JR357 for a premium care 96 mo/75k miles. I paid $3104.48 for HR871 for a premium care policy with 96 months and 75k miles.

I was quoted lower premiums, however they were "wrapper" policies that did not include powertrain.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind, the powertrain warranty is 5yr/60K miles.

Is this true about powertrain warranty? It does not state that in the online warranty description at ford owner site... If that's the case, I am not worried about anything else at all, I can do anything but a whole engine rebuild on my own.
How do I confirm about the powertrain?

The thing with the big check is actually wrong, sorry, that Ford site shows 990 dollars for 5 years warranty (going to May 2021 for me) for premium care... That's what I would get, with a 100 bucks deductible.

Many thanks
Sponsored