Just leaving this here

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Maintenance is one thing, but I don't think maintenance has anything to do with poor quality headlight cover material that yellows very quickly. Also, I'm pretty sure that maintenance won't prevent a car from sagging on one side due to faulty springs or spring mounts.
Both of those issues won't prevent the car from reaching 200k miles. If you don't want yellowing headlights, buy glass lenses for your car instead of plastic/polycarbonate. I used to run glass lenses on a performance car. Never had an issue with them. They never turned yellow because... well... glass. That's why. The glass is very thick and it takes a lot to break.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Both of those issues won't prevent the car from reaching 200k miles. If you don't want yellowing headlights, buy glass lenses for your car instead of plastic/polycarbonate. I used to run glass lenses on a performance car. Never had an issue with them. They never turned yellow because... well... glass. That's why. The glass is very thick and it takes a lot to break.
For plastic headlights polish them when you polish your car our use plast x I use it on my Suzuki C50 windscreen

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Sweet idea, wondering where I could get the mustang glass lenses, can you give me the part number.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Somehow you seem to be missing my point that Kias are cheaply constructed. :frusty:

Yes you can replace the springs or whatever suspension components fail every so many miles, repeatedly polish or replace headlight lenses...OR YOU COULD BUY A CAR THAT ISN'T BUILT QUITE SO CHEAPLY!!

:doh:

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Somehow you seem to be missing my point that Kias are cheaply constructed. :frusty:
Well, I don't want to disparage your anecdotally based opinions, but JD Power disagrees, at least for initial quality in 2017.... I'm guessing their database is a little bigger? ;)

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Initial-Quality-Study-%28IQS%29-by-Make/2430ENG

How 'bout dependability for '16? Kia's rating isn't tops in that category, but still beats Ford...

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Vehicle-Dependability-Study-%28VDS%29-by-Make/846ENG

There's a lot of juvenile chest pounding going on in this thread... :crazy:

Just because someone compliments a car other than a Mustang, it doesn't mean they're demeaning the Mustang. Try to just appreciate the other guy's choice. :shrug:

Kia/Hyundai are doing things right. If they weren't, they wouldn't be as successful as they are. And they're getting better about making performance cars. You should be happy about that. As enthusiasts we should be applauding a car maker that gives us a performance sedan like the Stinger. I personally think it will be great for the market that Germany has some Asian competition. We'll all get better cars for it.

Just look what's happened with the Mustang since GM got serious about the Camaro. I never even considered buying a Mustang (and my '17 is my third Mustang) between '99-09. Even the S197 Coyote cars didn't really grab my interest. Today you can buy a Mustang that runs 11s off the showroom floor. Do you think Ford would have done that without Chevy and Dodge doing what they're doing?

I'm old enough to factory V8 Mustangs with 150hp, and I know what a fantastic time it is to be a car enthusiast. How 'bout we just enjoy it? :cheers:

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Been over 100 here the past few days and my air conditioning is working. It also worked last summer too.

Figured I'd contribute here with my crappy Ford. :popcorn:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
All the manufactures know that the buying public see and award and think its means something it doesn't. The JD Power award is bullshit a advertising gimmick they can buy and exploit when sales aren't good.

https://jalopnik.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-jd-power-a-1818818969
Well, that didn't take long.

Did you even read that article?

Advertising is advertising, and mfgrs are always going to parse the language to make them look like a winner... "best in class" and all that.

What's important about JD Power surveys is that the data is collected from the customer, not how the mfgrs use the results.

Here's a quote from the article you linked (my emphasis added):

There are two key measures J.D. Power uses to judge quality and, hence, the award winners: the Vehicle Dependability Study, and the Initial Quality Study. VDS asks car owners about problems in the first three years of ownership, while IQS asks owners about problems in the first 90 days of ownership. Of the two, IQS is far and away most prominent.
So, what about that, is bullshit?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, I don't want to disparage your anecdotally based opinions, but JD Power disagrees, at least for initial quality in 2017.... I'm guessing their database is a little bigger? ;)

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Initial-Quality-Study-%28IQS%29-by-Make/2430ENG

How 'bout dependability for '16? Kia's rating isn't tops in that category, but still beats Ford...

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Vehicle-Dependability-Study-%28VDS%29-by-Make/846ENG
Possibly you aren't understanding what I was saying, so I will try to clarify for you. I think that new Kias may be just fine. Wait until they are 5+ years old and things may be different. I'm sure the Kia I see in my work parking lot (and those I see driving on the road) looked much better when they were brand new.

If you are saying that Kias were garbage 5 years ago and now they are great, I don't think there is any evidence of that change yet.

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Possibly you aren't understanding what I was saying, so I will try to clarify for you. I think that new Kias may be just fine. Wait until they are 5+ years old and things may be different. I'm sure the Kia I see in my work parking lot (and those I see driving on the road) looked much better when they were brand new.
Again, anecdotal... any car can be a POS after 5yrs if it's not cared for. Which is what EBM was trying to get across. I see plenty of Kias driving around here that look fine at 5yrs, since that seems to be your criteria. I also see plenty of 5 year old 'nicer' cars that look like crap because they're not cared for.

My 1st point was, given a standardized metric (JD Power owner surveys), Kia is doing well with the people that actually own them, better in fact than Ford is with Ford owners.

My second point was that bashing a brand on stereotypes is pretty ignorant, and we should be happy for the choices we have in the market. After all, the general public's stereotype of Mustang drivers is pretty poor. We should be trying to improve it, not confirm it. :cheers:

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Again, anecdotal... any car can be a POS after 5yrs if it's not cared for. Which is what EBM was trying to get across. I see plenty of Kias driving around here that look fine at 5yrs, since that seems to be your criteria. I also see plenty of 5 year old 'nicer' cars that look like crap because they're not cared for.

My 1st point was, given a standardized metric (JD Power owner surveys), Kia is doing well with the people that actually own them, better in fact than Ford is with Ford owners.

My second point was that bashing a brand on stereotypes is pretty ignorant, and we should be happy for the choices we have in the market. After all, the general public's stereotype of Mustang drivers is pretty poor. We should be trying to improve it, not confirm it. :cheers:

It is not anecdotal.

You are trying to say cheap steel and cheap plastic, THOUGHT INTIALLY looks good, stay the same over time. Do understand, that KIA's materials are not the same quality as many brands.

Initial quality is almost a gimmick, for "under-aged" buyers, or first time buyers looking for their first cheap car. They have nothing to base their QUALITY opinions on, except the "used cars" they have been buying. (So these buyers/leasers are more than happy to have a car with cold air conditioning and give high praise for their cheap car.)

And yes, JD Powers has been used and manipulated over the years successfully by foreign car manufacturers and dealer reports.

Initial quality… It doesn't account for maintenance and cost of maintenance, or quality of maintenance after 5 years.

KIA owners are typical first time buyers... and much younger than discerning Ford buyers. This is not stereo typical, these are known metrics in the industry. You seem to be fooled by marketing, without understand their metrics.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
The KIA has its place, for what it is I like it, is it comparable to the Mustang, not even a little. Completely different markets even if they ran similar numbers, which they don't no matter how much 2 idiots try to make it so.

If I were in the market for a sedan the Stinger would be in the running. If I didn't have this Mustang and was in the market for a 2 door sports car, the Stinger wouldn't be on the list for obvious reasons.

As for the comment that the Mustang is the cheapest V8 out there, even if it was, in no way is the car "cheap" except where Ford decided to save the leather covered console for the PP option. Good grief man PP has a lot of goodies, the Premium option should mean all Premium, not hey lets put all soft surfaces in except the console, we'll save that for the "Performance Pack" option. :crazy:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's not anecdotal when a headlight yellows faster than other cars. Cheap materials aren't a maintenance issue, they are just cheap materials.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
dudes got 24 posts. Pretty clear hes not a mustang guy. No mustang owner would go to bat so hard for a kia.