Sponsored

Just a heads up

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
pretty sure wrapping the fob in aluminum foil will act as a faraday cage.
Definitely will work - a Faraday cage is just a totally enclosed metal barrier. Put the FOB inside a zip-lock bag first so the foil doesn't scratch it up.
Sponsored

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I don't think you can drive car for more than 10 or 20 meters, correct me if I'm wrong. Don't know for sure how much meters you can drive (or if you can drive).

Btw, can someone pinpoint what to search on ebay? My future father-in-law has Focus ST 2013, and we are curious to get that item to test on his car :headbang: ...i'm thinking he will get a pouch soon :D

Excellent thread :cheers:
I already did that test last summer. Had my friend drive my 2014 Focus ST from one end of a parking lot to another. He went well over 300 feet(about 91 meters) and the car didn't shut off or anything. Hell, he started the car as I was standing beside it. I have no doubt ge could have driven it until he ran out of gas.:crazy:

Now, you can't start the car if the key isn't right next to the car or inside it, but if it was running and someone drove it away, I haven't a clue how far they'd get, but 300ft is still too far in my book. :tsk:

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
It is ridiculous that car manufacturers are churning out vehicles that can be so easily stolen thanks to tech that we don't really need.

When I first saw the fob I was more concerned about having to carry such a bulky object in my trouser pocket rather than my nice slim 1998 BMW key.

Now I have to remember to leave my Mustang fob, whenever it finally arrives, in a foil bag or a microwave wherever I go.

Bit of a joke isn't it, especially as it's 2015.

The really big problem will be getting insurance here in London, UK, as there are various cars, including Range Rovers, that you can no longer get cover for as they are so easy to steal. Insurance is eye wateringly expensive if you live in the Greater London area and I expect to get raped when it's time to get a quote for the Mustang, but I certainly don't won't to find that no company will insure me.

Maybe my desire to own the newest American Muscle car will force me to move out of the city :D

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Maybe my desire to own the newest American Muscle car will force me to move out of the city :D
With my brief experiences of London I'm surprised you've not moved out sooner!

Come North, its cheap and has lots of nice roads. :cheers:;)

aschueler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, PP, 401a, MT, Guard, Ebony Int.
One of the advantages to living out in the country... There's a gate and several hundred yards of driveway before you get to my house. And our home security is a donkey, a large german shepherd, and a shotgun.

Sponsored

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Tell us how it works out, after seeing this I am going to get one, I found a good one for 32 dollars, but if this work, I rather spend a little less if possible.
Ok, the Faraday cage I ordered from Amazon came in today. Little green pouch that closes with Velcro and can fit approximately two key fobs. I placed my key fob into the pouch while on my key ring and still attached to the rest of my keys (it's key ring hanging partially out of the bag with the Velcro enclosed around it). Car will not open or start while in pouch. Pouch is small enough to be carried in pocket or folded into wallet, so overall I'm satisfied.

Going to buy a second one for my wife's key chain.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Ok, the Faraday cage I ordered from Amazon came in today. Little green pouch that closes with Velcro and can fit approximately two key fobs. I placed my key fob into the pouch while on my key ring and still attached to the rest of my keys (it's key ring hanging partially out of the bag with the Velcro enclosed around it). Car will not open or start while in pouch. Pouch is small enough to be carried in pocket or folded into wallet, so overall I'm satisfied.

Going to buy a second one for my wife's key chain.
Which one did you get?

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Which one did you get?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3FLYWG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Check out the link above. This is exactly what I bought and it works great. Door won't open with me next to the car; it can seal around your key fob while it is still attached to other keys; you can take it off and easily fold it into a pocket or wallet.

Little pricey for what it is... unless of course your car get's stolen...

Then $16 is chump change.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just order one of them. Better safe than sorry. :headbang:

Sponsored

humster21

Black Mustang Lover
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
15 Black EB Premium w/PP

pt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
Yeah this has been all over the web. Many autos with keyless entry using active fobs are vulnerable to this hack. IIRC there has even been word of class action suits.

The solution AFAIK is to use the aforementioned 'Faraday cage'.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Still no way to turn off the proximity thing? I guess if you could, then the car wouldn't start either. I will say this, though. Insurance on my 2015 Mustang is cheaper than on my 2012 Civic. Honda's are still the most stolen cars I think, but the Mustang has got to be worth 3-4X what the Civic is.

Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.
Sponsored