Sponsored

JLT cover

coreystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thinking about doing this to my PMAS. It couldn't hurt......
Sponsored

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I copied 66sprint6’s design and drove around until I could find what he used, Lowe’s had this rubber pipe insulation that has adhesive on both sides (not that you really need it) and bends really well. Here are some before and after shots. This helped my iat’s stay low at idle and they would drop a lot faster then before. I have the Velossa funnel and drilled out most of the honeycomb in the triangle of the grill. So far I’d say this rubber insulation has been the biggest improvement for getting temps down vs the Velossa. They work together now and don’t let and cool air escape out of the top of the JLT box when you’re moving.
B754FC6C-A1C7-4BD3-BB93-BA1FDB9DA61B.jpeg
76DF3C88-2414-449B-B3C6-A40AA94B8DB8.jpeg
C9497EAD-811D-4DA5-B438-B6B16FD64C36.png
F5D4C282-1A5B-4F52-B10C-87A10E8ECBAC.jpeg

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I copied 66sprint6’s design and drove around until I could find what he used, Lowe’s had this rubber pipe insulation that has adhesive on both sides (not that you really need it) and bends really well. Here are some before and after shots. This helped my iat’s stay low at idle and they would drop a lot faster then before. I have the Velossa funnel and drilled out most of the honeycomb in the triangle of the grill. So far I’d say this rubber insulation has been the biggest improvement for getting temps down vs the Velossa. They work together now and don’t let and cool air escape out of the top of the JLT box when you’re moving.
Where did you get that little foam square that sits on the intake tube after the filter?

BTW. I'm going to try this. My IATs will stay 10-20 above ambient but as soon as I stop they will go up and it takes a long cruise to bring them back down.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Where did you get that little foam square that sits on the intake tube after the filter?

BTW. I'm going to try this. My IATs will stay 10-20 above ambient but as soon as I stop they will go up and it takes a long cruise to bring them back down.
That piece is from JLT directly, they include it in their new kits but I had to order it since I bought mine before they had it. This rubber seal will help your temps A LOT. Best part is it’s cheap!

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
That piece is from JLT directly, they include it in their new kits but I had to order it since I bought mine before they had it. This rubber seal will help your temps A LOT. Best part is it’s cheap!
Dude. IT REALLY WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!. HAHAAH

It stayed at around 8-10 above ambient. A a stop light it got up to 112-115* but it's 100* outside. Fuckin hot.
Normally it would get into the 130 at a stop light and would take forever to come back down.

Now I did run into a store to get a few things. Come back, turn the car on and the IAT's were at 130ish. So I guess it got heat soaked but it drop down into the teens after a short period of driving.

I'm curious to see what the JLT foam piece does. Should be here this week.

TJJZD6E1PxXvTAyU9_PoHq1szNVait20gSRluCOd_Qyb0goqqWoy5n5ZRubCVy9MoHi250H5-TgPBjA8FM=w1010-h757-no.jpg

2n8_YwREl2EiXZNhJnn_-nvqpVaEIf8bDFBNdwE-F0vCqa5xUTe3AwfwzfYfawjYjQCLWzQUVIh1JU1aGY=w1010-h757-no.jpg

oQyo0vzDL2DYNs2NO8DsorMw67J7YF7-yBERlRqv3DrE6nfZAiPOwsv1L7Vw9GkMZJmBMb6lmNQYntI2mY=w1010-h757-no.jpg

Sponsored

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Dude. IT REALLY WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!. HAHAAH

It stayed at around 8-10 above ambient. A a stop light it got up to 112-115* but it's 100* outside. Fuckin hot.
Normally it would get into the 130 at a stop light and would take forever to come back down.

Now I did run into a store to get a few things. Come back, turn the car on and the IAT's were at 130ish. So I guess it got heat soaked but it drop down into the teens after a short period of driving.

I'm curious to see what the JLT foam piece does. Should be here this week.
I was surprised how well it worked too! It's about 90-95 degrees here also, mine will stay at 6 degrees over ambient while cruising and then jump about 10-18 over ambient while at stop light depending on how long i'm sitting there and then drop really quickly. The JLT foam should help the creeping a little since it fills those semi large gaps. For $6 i'll replace the foam if it starts looking ratty in a year or so. I'm making the switch to the JLT Dry Filter as well, I feel like the paper wont hold heat as much as the oiled filter and i'm just tired of messing with the oiled filters.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I was surprised how well it worked too! It's about 90-95 degrees here also, mine will stay at 6 degrees over ambient while cruising and then jump about 10-18 over ambient while at stop light depending on how long i'm sitting there and then drop really quickly. The JLT foam should help the creeping a little since it fills those semi large gaps. For $6 i'll replace the foam if it starts looking ratty in a year or so. I'm making the switch to the JLT Dry Filter as well, I feel like the paper wont hold heat as much as the oiled filter and i'm just tired of messing with the oiled filters.
It actually looks almost factory and yeah I have enough left over to do another one. lol

It's hot as shit, so I didn't except much to change. But was really surprised.
Thanks again.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Made one for my JLT as well. My filter box is shaped different because of being FI and not N/A, but same good results. Dropped the IAT's across the board. I made the cover first, then drove it around for a few months. In these pics I just recently wrapped the snorkel coming into the filter box, (there was a little open gap between the VelossaTech big mouth and the JLT supplied snorkel), the big intake tube to the throttle body, and the inside of the filter box with heat resistant insulation. Didn't get to test it out yet, not expecting the world, but every little bit helps.
20190705_115406.jpg
20190705_115510.jpg

Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I thought about using the heat reflective wrap and tape. I used it on my old car a supercharged Grand Prix.

It seemed to work even with the open air intake, but I think it a lot more cooler air than the Mustang.

dZVilk4FhIKVqIk3cdOTzH3Uylp_L3XHOOC9SrqtnITVlCgqfhT9_ObY1bIOedcYbU1cWW6cfhHDziZBzI=w1204-h903-no.jpg

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I thought about using the heat reflective wrap and tape. I used it on my old car a supercharged Grand Prix.

It seemed to work even with the open air intake, but I think it a lot more cooler air than the Mustang.

dZVilk4FhIKVqIk3cdOTzH3Uylp_L3XHOOC9SrqtnITVlCgqfhT9_ObY1bIOedcYbU1cWW6cfhHDziZBzI=w1204-h903-no.jpg
I saw a guy at the track last week who has the heat tape/ wrap inside the box and outside the tubing just like WhiteyDog’s. If I were FI or tracking a lot more I would give it a try but for now I’m pretty satisfied with just the hood sealing better. All great ideas on here though!

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I did several other things to help with underhood temps and better overall cooling. I just like to fool with stuff to see if I can improve things. But closing off an open CAI definitely helps.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I saw a guy at the track last week who has the heat tape/ wrap inside the box and outside the tubing just like WhiteyDog’s. If I were FI or tracking a lot more I would give it a try but for now I’m pretty satisfied with just the hood sealing better. All great ideas on here though!
Just got the JLT foam piece in. I would test it out but we are about to get a Hurricane so maybe next week if the car is still around. hahaha

I agree I'm happy so far. I don't see the need for the heat tape and installation at this point.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I did several other things to help with underhood temps and better overall cooling. I just like to fool with stuff to see if I can improve things. But closing off an open CAI definitely helps.
Did you use plexi-glass for your lid? I still might want to do that.
Sponsored