Sponsored

JLT cover

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
So today my buddy came up and wanted to help address my it issues and reload my tune.
Some mod info:
2015 gt w/pp manual
Jlt intake
91 bama tune
Mrt h pipe
Roush ab
Mak cat delete (next week)

So since all mods and tune have been installed, I feel like the car had lost some power after loading the bama tune. I took the car down to the drags and made several passes. Sea level, 75*, street tires.
First pass ran a 2.2 60' & a 8.8 8th. Booo.
The next 5 or 6 passes were pretty consistent with the first. Rolling the clutch out and not trying to launch at anything above idle. I'd make 3 passes back to back and then let cool for 30mins or so in between passes. By the end of the night I was able to see an 8.2 8th and 8.6 with a 1.9 and 2.0 60'. So my buddy said it was driver mod and I needed to work on my launch and try and get my 60' down and I should improve my time.
Blah blah blah, what does this have to do with diy.
Well my iat Temps have been pretty high imo above ambient. For example today it was 85*f out at 10am and my iat"s when stopped at a light rose as high as 177*f, when driving they would drop down quickly to about 151*f but go no lower still felt like this was pretty high and way above ambient.
So we popped the hood and god damn, you could feel the heat just rolling out. We left the hood open and bs'd for about 20 min. During this time I reflash ed the stock tune back on and then reloaded the bama tune. Some other mustang owners said that my power loss could be from the bama tune resetting and I would have to reload it/happens all the time. So that is what we did, couldn't hurt.

After that was done we started looking in the engine bay, it was still pretty warm to the touch. Hot in fact but not as hot as it was 20 mins earlier. So we took off the engine shroud, yeah that thing was storing a bunch of heat, took off the valve shrouds and then decided to address the jlt heat box. Where the intake sits on the box, there is an area that is open and allows the engine temps to creep into the intake. Not good, basically turning my cai into a hai.

Now the diy, quick drive to the hardware store to test the tune upload and a 5$ piece of plexiglass and a roll of weatherstripping, we are in buissness. Time to make a jlt cai cover and weather strip the gaps. After an hour of bsing and crappy razor cuts we had a prototype. Lol, we put it on and went for a test drive.
Earlier when we went to test the tune reload and visit the hardware store, we got some base numbers with out the jlt cover under normal driving, stop light to stop light and wot pulls. Before the cover was on at 1800' 85*f, my iat were 175*f at stop light to stop light and dove down as far as 150*f under acell and wot.
After the cover was placed over the jlt cai and all gaps sealed, dust shroud removed as well as valve covers, we headed out on the same route we took for our base numbers. The outside temp has risen to 96* as it was almost 1pm. While driving normal, my iat's were between 103 and 113*f and at a stop to stop traffic rose only to 117-120*f. We thought, no way, so we drove around for another 20 mins switching between normal, wot and stop and go. Temps never rose above 120*f and that was sitting at a long light. I returned home and decided to let the car idle I. The drive way for an additional 10-15min. The highest temps rose to was 147*f.
Heat issues solved for the moment with a simple jlt cover and gap fill.
Couple pics to end this long ars post! Open to comments and criticism.

20150927_153156_zpsmn2leu9z.jpg

20150927_153216_zpsj7zlivur.jpg

Also this is just a prototype, my buddy plans.to help me make a cleaner version of this out of lexan and a vacuum form so that it can easily just slide right over the jlt box. Patient pending, Testing will commenced over the next month or so
Sponsored

Last edited:

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
interested.

OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Cover has been cleaned up and sanded down to fit and look better. Currently waiting on my buddy so we can use the vacuum machine to try and form one out of lexan or abs. So far just getting a run around. If he continues to bs me, I may just purchase a different air box with a cover and swap it out.

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Keep us posted. I had the same high engine temps when sitting in traffic.

OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
So far the lil $5 mod has solved my issues, it works. I drilled out the honey comb holes in the front where the jlt draws air in from and further reduced my temps. Now when cruising I'm averaging 4* above ambient. :)

Sponsored

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So far the lil $5 mod has solved my issues, it works. I drilled out the honey comb holes in the front where the jlt draws air in from and further reduced my temps. Now when cruising I'm averaging 4* above ambient. :)
I was planning on drilling out those holes in the grill also. In addition to a cover for the JLT.

:ford:

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT, PP/Prem
I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago before installing the 170 degree thermostat, but I made my cover out of a garage sale sign lol. That combined with drilling some 1/2" holes in 4 of the honeycombs was a pretty big difference.

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
JLT really needs to come out with an intake cover for those people in hot climates. I also saw my temp climb to 170 degrees while in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. I will be visiting Lowes or Home Depot this weekend and getting some plexiglass and weatherstripping in the meantime.

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Interesting info, thanks for posting.

We highly recommend opening open the honeycombs in the front of the grill. The grill delete also helps a bunch in getting more air to the box.

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vinny, It would be nice to have the option to take the cover off of the intake for track or "spirited driving", and leave it on to keep temps down during normal driving.

I will be drilling out those honeycombs for sure!!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Lil more info for those that are interested.
I used an automotive weatherstripping found at autozone. The thickest stuff they had, 3m tape on one side.
I also put some weatherstripping on the right side of the box to bring the side up so when the hood shuts it seals to it.
I did not have the proper tools to cut the acrylic. I made rough cuts with a razor blade, scoring the acrylic and then snapped it off on a clean edge. I did crack the lid on the final cut but luckily I had some acrylic glue on hand and was able to repair. A jig saw with the proper blade would work alot better. After a week of testing I pulled it off and did some cleanup on the edges with a Dremel and sanding wheel.
The lid itself is removable, what I did was place the acrylic over the box, traced out the outter dimensions and then cut it out. Then I placed the lid back over the box and traced the inner dimensions of the box with a dry erase marker. On the inner line I traced, I attached the weather stripping. By doing this it allows the lid to seal just inside the edges of the stock box when the hood is closed. After a week of it being on, I checked it out and the weather stripping in some areas came loose and was drooping down in the box. Turns out I did not press it onto the lid firmly enough for it to adhere properly. After resealing the weather stripping properly, it has held up and has not come loose since.
Here is a few more pics of the lid, not as ghetto looking but still ghetto, hahaha it works though, I swear.
20151019_162732_zpseo16lrsf.jpg

In this next pic, you can see how the weather stripping attaches to the under side of the lid and how it's removable.
20151019_162753_zpsai4dujii.jpg

Final pic shows how I built up the weather stripping on the right side of the box so it makes contact with the lid and seals when hood is shut.

20151019_162810_zpsqczv59pn.jpg

Hopefully I can get a lil more legit one made outta abs or lexan when my buddy stops bs'ING and hooks it up with some time on the vacuum form machine. Hope this helps, not the cleanest, but it's cheap and does the job.

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for the additional pictures and info!

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Since you're getting creative and off to a good start, what about insulating the tube and the box?

OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Since you're getting creative and off to a good start, what about insulating the tube and the box?
My buddy joked about putting some heat wrap on the intake tube. Haha.
I think, if I can get a decent cover made that looks alot cleaner, I will chalk it up to that and call it good. I know it's a ghetto mod on a nice car. Kinda feel a lil guilty about having it on there, but I swear it's working. If I can't get a lid formed up,.I may just swap out to a sealed inclosure

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I drilled the honeycomb grill out with the trusty dremel. Now I'm making a lid like yours.
Sponsored