JLT CAI withOUT a tune?

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
I used to run the JLT. It's a good intake. If you have an aftermarket grille or one that's free flowing, I would go with a closed box set up. When I changed my grille, I ended up having a lot of MAF turbulence. The car would buck pretty good in cruise control on the highway. I ended up closing in the JLT box, turbulence gone.
Lol funny I wrapped a towel around the air filter and now it's running perfectly.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
It's Rob Shoemaker...he is supposed to be one of the best. He said he put the jlt MAF curve on there and that the problem is on my end.
My grill intake is fully open with a 114mm and tuned for the maf and it runs great, but during the tune download my battery was weak and didn’t realize it, thought tune downloaded, but it didn’t and it bucked and popped, called tuner and he made me realize tune did not download, did again hooked to the wife’s Cherokee while running and it was smooth sailing from there.

Sponsored

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
I used to run the JLT. It's a good intake. If you have an aftermarket grille or one that's free flowing, I would go with a closed box set up. When I changed my grille, I ended up having a lot of MAF turbulence. The car would buck pretty good in cruise control on the highway. I ended up closing in the JLT box, turbulence gone.
How did you close the box?
My grill intake is fully open with a 114mm and tuned for the maf and it runs great, but during the tune download my battery was weak and didn’t realize it, thought tune downloaded, but it didn’t and it bucked and popped, called tuner and he made me realize tune did not download, did again hooked to the wife’s Cherokee while running and it was smooth sailing from there.
I'm on an e85 tune also so if the tune didn't download I would have bigger noticeable problems

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
How did you close the box?

I'm on an e85 tune also so if the tune didn't download I would have bigger noticeable problems
You still have to tune for a larger maf if the maf increased? Just trying to help brother, I think JLT makes CAI’s with 2 different maf sizes. My point was that is exactly how my car acted with a larger maf without the tune downloaded.

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
You still have to tune for a larger maf if the maf increased? Just trying to help brother, I think JLT makes CAI’s with 2 different maf sizes. My point was that is exactly how my car acted with a larger maf without the tune downloaded.
Yeah I understand and I appreciate you trying to help more than you know. I got the 120 mm jlt cai with tune necessary. My tuner said that he put the correct MAF curve in the tune and that somehow there is too much air coming through the MAF. He said he has seen this problem with catch cans and when someone changes to a more free flowing grill. So after exhausting everything it could be I wrapped a towel around the air filter and it's running great 😂. Obviously I'm going to call jlt and see what they say.

Unvaxxed

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
It's Rob Shoemaker...he is supposed to be one of the best. He said he put the jlt MAF curve on there and that the problem is on my end.
Wait a minute, isn't that the guy whose background was a Toyota mechanic before he started tooning coyotes? 😂

Sponsored

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
Idk I'm new to the car scene so I just went with the tuner my buddies use. It was either him or lund.

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
How did you close your box?

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
Wait a minute, isn't that the guy whose background was a Toyota mechanic before he started tooning coyotes? 😂
I appreciate your help btw. Instead of trying to guide me in the right direction you laugh and make fun. You have to remember not everyone is as intelligent and as knowledgeable as you. Us morons need guidance.

Unvaxxed

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I appreciate your help btw. Instead of trying to guide me in the right direction you laugh and make fun. You have to remember not everyone is as intelligent and as knowledgeable as you. Us morons need guidance.
I already mentioned to put back your stock box. You make it sound like that hot air intake gave you another 40whp wot but gives you issues driving normally.

I guess you drive wot most of the time, kudos to you. 😂
Sponsored