Is my Digital Cluster Dead?

pts2grimm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konstantin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Hey guys, I am experiencing issues with the digital cluster on my 2018 Mustang GT. Car was left stationarry for a month or so, and now whenever I start it, the cluster doesn’t want to turn on, stays completely black, and after a while it will start showing some signs of life, as shown on the pictures. However, it’s totally unresponsive. I even bought a new battery hoping that it would fix the problem, but it didn’t. I tried resetting the module with Forscan, but it didn’t help either. There are no errors in the ICP whatsoever. Interesting fact, I can hear the sounds from the turn signals, chimes etc. coming out of it. Do you think it’s dead?
4AEE9850-7EE8-453F-9374-170F5E99D2E2.jpeg
0BC9D8EA-7701-4894-AFF5-43BFE56652F7.jpeg
Sponsored

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Maybe just the screen itself/pixels etc? Can't remember right now what tech was used for the screen on that. If possible I'd try just replacing the screen if that is even an option.

OP
OP

pts2grimm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konstantin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
A downside to digital dash is when they fail trouble shooting is a pain in the ass. Have you disconnected the battery?

Sponsored

OP
OP

pts2grimm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konstantin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
A downside to digital dash is when they fail trouble shooting is a pain in the ass. Have you disconnected the battery?
Yes, even bought a new one.
And this exactly why I purchased an ESP. Except, OP is in Bulgaria.
Yeah. The car is imported from the US. Sadly dealerships won’t help either because they refuse to service cars imported outside Europe.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
You could try pulling the dash trim and reseating cables on the screen/guage cluster, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

You could also go to analog, those clusters are cheap on eBay.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
quite often a bad ground connection, due to oxidation. As mentioned above pull cluster and look at connector pins, and separate ground lead if there is one.
Not sure how cold it would have to get to kill the display, or how much humidity for how long ..
If battery is good enough to start the car, not likely a battery issue.
However electronics fail like a light bulb - one sec OK, then dam.

Storing in a cold damp area isnt good. They need to be used.

Seems processor works as you do get messages. I've fixed a couple laptop display issues before cleaning the end of ribbon cable where it attaches to the display connector between display and motherboard.

OP
OP

pts2grimm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konstantin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
quite often a bad ground connection, due to oxidation. As mentioned above pull cluster and look at connector pins, and separate ground lead if there is one.
Not sure how cold it would have to get to kill the display, or how much humidity for how long ..

Seems processor works as you do get messages. I've fixed a couple laptop display issues before cleaning the end of ribbon cable where it attaches to the display connector between display and motherboard.
The car was actually stored in a warm place. I will try to remove the cluster and clean the connections as you said, and I’ll update you guys.

Sponsored
OP
OP

pts2grimm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konstantin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018

Today I pulled the cluster out only to find that there are no issues with the motherboard buut after total disassembly, I found out that the connection between the screen and the mobo was loose. I unplugged it from both ends and reattached it and voila, the screen is now working as it was before. However, I noticed that it is very easy to loosen that connector. I hope that I won't need to do this procedure again.

IMG_2679.JPEG
IMG_7844.JPEG
IMG_7850.JPG

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
Good job! That has to be a relief :)

Maybe there is some "electronic component adhesive" that would be safe to use on that connection to keep it from vibrating loose.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good info.

This may help others who have had a dead digital screen too...

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust

Maybe there is some "electronic component adhesive" that would be safe to use on that connection to keep it from vibrating loose.

work on navy equipment, and vibration is a constant concern. We use a 'blob' of silicone at the junction of the 2 connector halves (after connector is mated).

OP
OP

pts2grimm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konstantin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018

Yes, I’ll try to find something if it ever happens again..

Good info.

This may help others who have had a dead digital screen too...
Oh for sure.
Sponsored