Sponsored

Is a 1510 lb (650 kg) load-rated wheel ok for amateur track days?

trusktr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I'm considering these:

http://vsforged.com

They're all fully forged, but with a load rating of 650kg/1510lb.

What sorts of driving would I need to do to break them? I'm not a NASCAR driver, just a guy with a Shelby who wants to go to a track for the first time. In particular I want to go to the Sonoma and Laguna Seca tracks here in the Bay Area.

I've been reading that track-spec wheels have load ratings of 2100lb (950kg).

If I go to a track with sticky tires like Toyo R888Rs, and take tight turns, do you think the wheels can break? That would be bad!
Sponsored

OP
OP
trusktr

trusktr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Well apparently the load rating seems fine compared to, for example, Apex flow formed racing wheels (1550lbs and 1650lbs):

https://www.apexraceparts.com/our-wheels/classic-ec7.html

So it makes me think it may be fine for many racing situations (I know going off course can break any wheel so let's assume I'm not gonna do that).

I'm an amateur here, hoping someone with experience in this area can drop some knowledge.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What does the manufacturer have to say? I'd start there and ask if track use is suitable and covered under warranty.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Have you considered just sticking with the stock wheels for track days? No question there regarding track-readiness since they come with the car.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Unless they've changed their design for 19" wheels, I wouldn't bother. Back in 2016 when I got my car, I ordered a set of these. They were supposed to clear our big brakes, but they don't. The shop ended up using the set of wheels as wall ornaments. If you go 20's, then it's a different story. I ended up going with 19" BC forged. Pretty happy with the forged wheel/value ratio of them.

Last edited: