Sponsored

Is 325 squared worth the hassle over 305?

webspoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Code Orange
Understeer on exit - I tried the big fronts, more spring and bar on the front, more camber etc.

The solution that dropped segment and lap times for me was going back to a stiffer rear bar setting. By getting the car more neutral mid corner, the exit rotation did not require such a big shot of throttle. Off corner accel grip feels reduced, but you can go to the throttle earlier and the car arcs around noticeably better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
whatisgrip

whatisgrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Understeer on exit - I tried the big fronts, more spring and bar on the front, more camber etc.

The solution that dropped segment and lap times for me was going back to a stiffer rear bar setting. By getting the car more neutral mid corner, the exit rotation did not require such a big shot of throttle. Off corner accel grip feels reduced, but you can go to the throttle earlier and the car arcs around noticeably better.
I have a Steeda rear bar and when I adjusted from med to stiff to try and fix it I just got heavy snap oversteer so went back to med. Thinking about softening the front bar and seeing if that will help

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Interesting. My car tends to understeer on corner exits and I've been playing around with suspension changes but haven't found the balance I'm looking for. For that reason alone it might be tempting.

I believed they used a GT500 fender on their LS project car. Maybe I should reach out to Terry and see if they have recommendations.

I don't think fitment will be an issue I've seen a few post pictures of their 325 square setups but haven't seen any data comparing the two. Here's some images I found on TMO of 350s running this setup.

20220723_090540.jpg
20220723_090444.jpg

EA2151E6-.jpg
#109 is me. I run 325s all around, but don't have much time with narrower front tires to compare. The 325s fit well, I get 25% off the Goodyear SC3s with USAA discount, and I have been happy with the balance.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
#109 is me. I run 325s all around, but don't have much time with narrower front tires to compare. The 325s fit well, I get 25% off the Goodyear SC3s with USAA discount, and I have been happy with the balance.
What width wheels are you running thr 325's on?

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like both of those tires?
Yokes are stickier. Falkens are fine, but they’re slower, and dont run them too hard without adequate camber.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yokes are stickier. Falkens are fine, but they’re slower, and dont run them too hard without adequate camber.
Thanks. I'm not surprised the A052s are more sticky. From what I have read the RT660 are a RE71R replacement but not quite as good as the RE71R. But I do know there is a RE71RS out now, but I don't see them in 305 sizes.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I'm not surprised the A052s are more sticky. From what I have read the RT660 are a RE71R replacement but not quite as good as the RE71R. But I do know there is a RE71RS out now, but I don't see them in 305 sizes.
Just run the 295 RE71RS if you want that. The 10mm size difference is inconsequential.

FWIW I found the RT660 to be a bit better than the RE71R, but the yokes put power down better and work at colder temps. I have an old set of the last RE71R I’m stilll trying yo wear out lol, and I’ll probably replace that set with 295 RE71RS

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Just run the 295 RE71RS if you want that. The 10mm size difference is inconsequential.

FWIW I found the RT660 to be a bit better than the RE71R, but the yokes put power down better and work at colder temps. I have an old set of the last RE71R I’m stilll trying yo wear out lol, and I’ll probably replace that set with 295 RE71RS
Oh they have 295 in the 19" size for RE71RS? Great to hear your impressions of the RT660 are good.

Sponsored
OP
OP
whatisgrip

whatisgrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Since the topic of RE71R came up, don't be like me and run old ones no matter how good of a deal they are. Delaminated mine at Road Atlanta this weekend. When the RE71RS come out in GT350 sizes I'll be trying them

IMG_4786.JPG

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Since the topic of RE71R came up, don't be like me and run old ones no matter how good of a deal they are. Delaminated mine at Road Atlanta this weekend. When the RE71RS come out in GT350 sizes I'll be trying them

IMG_4786.JPG
Well the moral there is inspect your tires between each and every session. Once issues start to develop, then can go pretty quickly. This is extra true if you don't have enough camber and will be putting too much heat into the shoulders of a tire. Falkens can do this too, pretty much any tire can do this.

FWIW it doesn't look like your tire was extra hot, but the shoulders are definitely getting too much wear, which indicates not enough camber.

I ran like 8 sets of RE71R back in the day and did see one delaminate after a small chuck developed and then I continued to run the car. The other 7 sets were good to the cords. I was lucky, I discovered it was unzipping itself in paddock and not while on track.

OP
OP
whatisgrip

whatisgrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Well the moral there is inspect your tires between each and every session. Once issues start to develop, then can go pretty quickly. This is extra true if you don't have enough camber and will be putting too much heat into the shoulders of a tire. Falkens can do this too, pretty much any tire can do this.

FWIW it doesn't look like your tire was extra hot, but the shoulders are definitely getting too much wear, which indicates not enough camber.

I ran like 8 sets of RE71R back in the day and did see one delaminate after a small chuck developed and then I continued to run the car. The other 7 sets were good to the cords. I was lucky, I discovered it was unzipping itself in paddock and not while on track.
These are 2018 dated tires I bought new from Discount when they were getting rid of their remaining stock. Camber wasn't the initial culprit that came to mind since I'm running -3.2 in the front. I haven't had issues with other tires and these started to brown on the sidewalls after the first few sessions before letting go end of the day. This was also the front driver which gets murdered at Road Atlanta.

But yes always check your tires :)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase