Sponsored

Interesting Discovery (oil filter related)

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I was playing around in the garage this evening and wanted to check the car for any leaks. I purchased it in October with 6,800 miles on it and I have driven it about another 350 miles. I purchased it from a Ford dealer who changed the oil (appeared on the car fax). I noticed that the oil filter trap door had some oil around it and removed it to make sure the oil filter was not leaking.

Upon visual inspection I did not see any seepage around the filter but I thought I would throw the torque wrench on it to make sure it was within spec. Much to my surprise it turned dam near one full revolution before the wrench clicked at 16 pounds !

Wow am I glad I checked it. I question the Ford dealer's work now and am going to just change the oil in it now. The previous owner told me he used Amsoil and never had any consumption issues so that is where I plan to go back to.

From what I have read there is no way that filter could have loosened up in 350 miles if it had been installed correctly, especially since I have not been that hard on the car.

Word of caution- don't trust even the dealer to do it right!

Dan
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And that is the reason I do my own oil changes. No offense to the techs that work on our cars, but time is money and each job only pays so much.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I hope they put 5W-50 in there.

Sponsored

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
That is what I am worried about !
Wouldn’t be the first time, unfortunately. My two cents: get a kit from k-manparts and redo it yourself. It’ll give you peace of mind.

I suppose you could send a sample to Blackstone but that’s 1/3 the cost of a full change.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wouldn’t be the first time, unfortunately. My two cents: get a kit from k-manparts and redo it yourself. It’ll give you peace of mind.

I suppose you could send a sample to Blackstone but that’s 1/3 the cost of a full change.
I send every oil change into blackstone. It's documentation with analysis.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
The tech doing the oil changes is probably the lowest paid with the least experience. I will always do my own oil changes. After the filter is installed I mark the 6 o'clock position on the top of the filter with a Sharpie. Every few runs I peak through the driver's wheel to confirm filter has not moved.
Sponsored