Sponsored

Interesting article

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You look her in the eye when you say that!
I have to admit it has grown on me somewhat. Initially I completely hated it, but your car is good looking. I like the blue color as well.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Not sure if this has been posted but didn't see it after a quick look through the different areas. The thing in the article that caught my eye the most was this statement: "We're in the midst of the biggest product refresh in our history," Thai-Tang said in an exclusive interview with MotorTrend after news broke of his promotion. By 2022, everything Ford sells will have been refreshed.

So it is confirmed of a new mustang chassis or at least a facelift for 2022?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...nd-mach-e-launches/ar-BBZLPzo?ocid=spartanntp

link for reference
In "industry-speak" the term "refresh" can encompass anything from fascia changes to interior upgrade. The term "upgrade", particularly "major upgrade" typically refers to chassis and structural changes, ie a new platform. Early information indicates that the transition from S550 to S650 has been downgraded to a "refresh" and that the "major upgrade" that will put Mustang on a new / different chassis will happen sometime in the 2025 - 26 timeframe.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
In "industry-speak" the term "refresh" can encompass anything from fascia changes to interior upgrade. The term "upgrade", particularly "major upgrade" typically refers to chassis and structural changes, ie a new platform. Early information indicates that the transition from S550 to S650 has been downgraded to a "refresh" and that the "major upgrade" that will put Mustang on a new / different chassis will happen sometime in the 2025 - 26 timeframe.
So, going by the most recent info:

"refresh" for the '23MY (S650)
"upgrade" for the '26MY (S750?)

What does that make the (extremely small) changes expected for the '21MY. "Facelift" seems to "big" a word for it as it seems its little more than a bumper change on the outside....although I suspect some small changes inside, too.

:)

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I think the newer face looks more modern, altho I definitely did think the profile of the pre facelift car looks better when I parked behind one once.

But the back end was improved tremendously. Beside the quad tips and jazzing up some elements, I honestly don't know what Ford was thinking with the body color things starting to wrap up over the rear from underneath.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/2017-mustang-vs-2018-mustang
I have no issues with the back, my issue is with the nose, in particular the headlights the nose itself and the fog lights. I have been in front of quite a few of the refresh units on the road and the one thing that always stood out to me was the tri-bar drl's you just knew what was coming up behind you or even at you when it was coming the opposite way. The tri-bars are way too angled and unless you are 20ft away they get lost at a distance, they blend way too much and the point of the drls are meaning less. To me those tri-bars stood out during the day anywhere from upclose to almost 1/2 mile away.

The nose does not have an angry look, its too rounded in my opinion, I know it has the gt 350 look, which I wasn't a big fan of the triangles on the side, but to me it looks more like a sheep than a stallion.

The fog lights on the 18, I cant see how they can be called fog lights being as small as they are, After adjusting my '16's fog lights (Most dont know they can be adjusted) I use to be able to drive with them on alone and see the road perfectly fine. With these I find that hard to believe.

4.jpg
How do those fog lights work to light up the road without the head lights compared to the pre-refresh model? I cant see those dots really making any impact on the road.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I prefer the headlights and grill of the 18 and the fog-lights and lower vents of the 17. And I do like the painted diaper on the 17 rear valance, but prefer the 18 tail-lights and quad tips. There is perfection somewhere in a blend of the two models.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hopefully the Tang refresh includes disposing of Hack-it and Farley... and erasing the Mustang name off the ME.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
To me those tri-bars stood out during the day anywhere from upclose to almost 1/2 mile away.

The nose does not have an angry look, its too rounded in my opinion,
Ah you have a good aesthetic point on the DRL's that I didn't notice before, the tri-bars were much more distinct before. Still there's light output, so they function as DRL's.

I think the refreshed face looks less angry because the previous headlight housing is shaped to look more like an eye. It slopes up as it heads towards the back after the headlight.

I think the newer looks more modern kind of like how the Charger went from a taller headlight assembly with the angry look to a sleeker one.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2014-vs-2015-dodge-charger-whats-difference-239026

And I do like the painted diaper on the 17 rear valance
:cwl:

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ah you have a good aesthetic point on the DRL's that I didn't notice before, the tri-bars were much more distinct before. Still there's light output, so they function as DRL's.

I think the refreshed face looks less angry because the previous headlight housing is shaped to look more like an eye. It slopes up as it heads towards the back after the headlight.

I think the newer looks more modern kind of like how the Charger went from a taller headlight assembly with the angry look to a sleeker one.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2014-vs-2015-dodge-charger-whats-difference-239026
Yes there is light output but from a distance it gets lost. You have to understand with my '16 I modified mine and changed the lighting structure. I made my tri-bars my my signal lights and my signal lights my drl's. With the refresh the use of it as a turn signal is useless IMO, because its tilted too far back to be noticed and even more so at night with the headlights on.

But see with the charger I hated the larger headlights, looked like bumble bee eyes. I like the newer sleeker lights on the newer charger.

Stealthfall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT
4.jpg
Nope still not good looking, but the headlights look great.

The body lines remind me too much of the 1998 refresh of the Camaro's front end and looks kinda squinty looking to me
and both remind me of a Catfish's face

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Can I just remind everyone of one of the forum rules:

3. Inter Model Bashing — The forum will not tolerate any bashing of another member's choice of vehicle, options/equipment, modifications, stock vs. non stock etc. Respect for all models and model years (EcoBoost, V6, GT, GT350, 2015-17, 2018+, etc) is expected of all members. Posting in a thread or section related to a specific trim/model/model year vehicle for the sole purpose of bashing the vehicle will not be tolerated on the forums.

Thank you. Now lets move on :like:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The wait for the Bronco will hopefully be the right thing. It took Ford a long time to get the Ranger out and that's with a model which is pretty much what has been sold in Australia for years. It is critical to get new models out quick as the competition is aggressive and ruthless.

Witness all the mid sized SUVs. I hope the Bronco gets out FAST. I personally know several people who are going back to Ford if they get the Bronco out SOON and it is decently off road as well as cool.

The older boxy escape had so many people that liked it. 3 people I know would have bought the Escape if it was not a cockroach like all the rest. Then there is the frustration of all the companies not making the rear window flip open. A utility that is sorely missed.

It's time for me to buy another Mid/Large SUV to replace my workhorse 2017 Explorer Sport which is an incredible vehicle. Getting tired of the wait, though. But I suppose with the massive amount of regulation, future warranty costs, testing, etc, etc, it has to take time...

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Now lets all hold hands and sing Kumbaya :D See what you did Stealthfall? TT had to get involved.

But seriously, No bashing here, what people choose is their choice, its all about preference. Personally I was originally looking to get the '19 Cali Special and trade my '16 in for it, but then when one of my clients told me why I wasn't getting the GT 500 I told him it would be way out of my reach (His uncle owns a fold dealership), but when it came out and I saw how it looked, I changed my mind. So no bashing of choice here by me, just discussing my likes and vision.

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Oh, I love the black mouth! I don't like the flat edged triangles on the corners under the lights. The sun does not hit it right. Dark colors hide the lines mostly.
This... it's grown on me, but I liked the fog light area of the front bumper on my 2015 better.

Stealthfall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT
I realised i forgot a word: as*. I meant to say "not as good looking", I was trying to be fair there are good aspects they nailed it on the refreshed headlights for looks.
But the real nail in the coffin i think was the word which will likely get me banned for saying again "Camaro"
Sponsored