OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
oh yes, forgot to mention I've replaced PCV valve as well just in case. No difference. And when I tested my intake system with a smoke machine that included PCV fittings as well. No leaks.

My oil catch can does not collect much oil. I do not emty it until I replace oil. And I replave oil when indicator suggests 30% or less oil life left.
Sounds like the Ford power packs are more headache than fun if you’re experience is the norm.

Have you attempted to return the product? Is Ford Performance responsive to return/warranty/support requests?
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Sounds like the Ford power packs are more headache than fun if you’re experience is the norm.

Have you attempted to return the product? Is Ford Performance responsive to return/warranty/support requests?
You should hope for best outcome. Based on my personal stats chances are 50%\50%. Not too bad. And I also think that pp3 has better chances to have no pinging. The pinging happens in the 2-3k rpm area where they have that big bump in hp\tq for pp1\2 that pp3 does noy have.

As far as returns go, it was mostly my fault I did not return the kit. They reluctantly and slowly followed up with me explaining all the issues and finally started asking questions like where I bought the item etc. which usually precedes the return sequence, and at that exact time covid has hit. A bunch of changes, etc. When I finally got back to them much later I guess I missed timeline. Besides me at least one forum member successfully returned his pp.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The problems are not the norm.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
The problems are not the norm.
sounds very credible.

here's the poll i opened awhile ago.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ng-detonation-poll.133075/page-3#post-2775457

it includes a "i do not have a power pack" option which is around 45 % of voters, which shouldn't be there....

if we rescale 7.7 + 7.7 % where those 45% are excluded the poll would say - out of those who instaled power packs 28% had detonation.

P.S. I realized later that it would be nice to have the poll based on pp 1 2 3, but somehow never made it.

Last edited:

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I’m pretty sure the shorter runners on the GT350 manifold soften the torque curve down low compared to the stock gen2. But pp3 makes slightly more torque down there because FP is able to be more aggressive with timing since the customer agrees to use 91+ octane only.

but that’s on 93. I had pp3 and am in CA, and on 91 I needed “octane adjust” (setting when installing the FP tube) ON. That drops the power a bit but it still screamed at high rpm. The power curve felt a little tamer, honestly. Smoother and no bumps. But the 6000+ rpm performance was great.

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Google “motoiq power pack”, great writeup, but not intended to criticize ford

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
If you get no ping when it’s foggy that leads me to think that the higher humidity is helping to cool the intake charge and lower the potential for ping (detonation). So then, and I believe that you have tried some of this, cooling the intake charge may be one avenue. Better insulation of the air box and tube to tb may help. One member has installed a DEI product to the air box and managed to get slightly lower IAT’s. I am going down this path. I also think that the gold reflective tape on the duct between the air box and TB could help. And, finally, although I am not completely familiar with it’s use on gasoline engines, a Snow Performance water/meth (the good kind) system may be able to be tuned to inject at the lower RPM range to cool the intake charge.

I know that many diesel truck owners use the system to lower EGT’s when they tow heavy or the engine is turned way up. It even adds some power and is not very expensive to run. The greatest cost will be to install. Tuning would be another cost, if it required dyno tuning, to be 100% sure that it has eliminated the problem.

Bummer that you are dealing with this. I have the PP2 on my car and it works flawlessly and it is the same MY as yours. I hope this helps in some way.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
What type of ping ?
An occasional rattle or full blown nonstop rattle ?
Are we talking about a possibility that Ford Perf. desensitized the knock sensors a bit and kick in later into the knock event just to extract a bit more power.
Seasoned engine Dyno operators know there’s a big difference between a few knock events vs full blown catastrophic uncontrolled knock.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
From what I have heard and looking at the tunes in both HP tuners and PCMtec I believe it to be tip in knock and it is nothing to worry about.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ping mostely with manual ? auto ? both equally ?
IF mostly manual I think it cause users see the 20 hp 'mid-range' gain the decide to floor in in 4th. With auto it could be something as simple as the tune is delaying the downshift, or peeps are manually holding it in a less than optimum gear.

or they still think 87 octane is the best thing since sliced bread. Haha.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
or they still think 87 octane is the best thing since sliced bread.
Or the petrol octane dispensing out of the nozzle doesn’t match the octane button selected on the pump….. 😬

Fuel delivery driver says to Fuel depot attendant; hey buddy hate to say your premium and reg got switched mistakenly ….
Attendant; no worries we move a few tankers of fuel a day, no one will ever know !

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Or the petrol octane dispensing out of the nozzle doesn’t match the octane button selected on the pump….. 😬
True.. I checked my logs after running shell 91 v-power from 3 different stations.. my engine hated it. Kills timing.

Did the same with DOMO 91+ car loved it. gives it all the timing sauce repeatedly.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
What type of ping ?
An occasional rattle or full blown nonstop rattle ?
Are we talking about a possibility that Ford Perf. desensitized the knock sensors a bit and kick in later into the knock event just to extract a bit more power.
Seasoned engine Dyno operators know there’s a big difference between a few knock events vs full blown catastrophic uncontrolled knock.
Extended knock in 2000-3500 rpm range with octane adjust switch ON during even moderate accelerations. This is consistent with other people experiences. Just search this forum. It is best to drive by some obstacle with windows down to hear. Like next to parked cars would be enough. Some people might not realize they have the knock until they follow above procedure. Engine bay provides some good isolation in this car.

Shadowdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 1994 Corvette 1984 Corvette 2015 Kawasaki ZX14R 2000Suzuki TLR1000
I have a 16 MT82 car that was equipped with the PP2 set up when my intake failed . I was very pleased with the gains and drivability from the ford kit to that point. No complaint , i run Exxon and Shell 93 here in Houston.
The Gen2 intake was on national backorder and is not updated to correct its issues, and a used one would be a grenade waiting so i went with the GT350. Without any change to the tune the car ran great , no CEL and very responsive. No issues in 2 weeks of driving .
I had it dyno tuned 2 weeks later and it makes power to 7500 with a 8k limit. 430/395 rwhp/tq. It revs noticably quicker and def likes to be spun up. I shift at 7500 and its well worth the upgrade. My experience so take it for what its worth to you.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
I have a 16 MT82 car that was equipped with the PP2 set up when my intake failed . I was very pleased with the gains and drivability from the ford kit to that point. No complaint , i run Exxon and Shell 93 here in Houston.
The Gen2 intake was on national backorder and is not updated to correct its issues, and a used one would be a grenade waiting so i went with the GT350. Without any change to the tune the car ran great , no CEL and very responsive. No issues in 2 weeks of driving .
I had it dyno tuned 2 weeks later and it makes power to 7500 with a 8k limit. 430/395 rwhp/tq. It revs noticably quicker and def likes to be spun up. I shift at 7500 and its well worth the upgrade. My experience so take it for what its worth to you.

Love to hear it, we have the same concerns.

To be clear, you’re using the PP3 tune and not the just the PP2 with the GT350 mani added right?
Sponsored