Input on Forced Induction

SpaceCityS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yeah... I know, I know, another one of these shitty threads. Bear with me.

As I'm starting to wrap up the wheel and suspension mods on my 15 GT/PP, I wanted to get some opinions on the forced induction options.

The original plan was to do a sleeper TT kit, and the car is currently setup with ported 18 manifold and 47lb injectors running on e-85. However, the other side of my brain is thinking this will be a pita to try and get through emissions here in Texas.

At the moment I'm thinking either the new gen Whipple when it's released or a stage 2 Procharger with the P1X unit.

The car is a manual PP model with 3.73 currently, will be swapped to 3.31 when I add the FI. The car is daily driven and I'm not looking to set any dyno or strip records. I do take it out for some back road twisties on the weekend, and will probably see some occasional strip and road course use in the future. Once again, nothing too serious, if the car pulls 10's at the strip with proper tires I'd be more than happy.

Mostly I just want the car to be exciting to drive when it needs to be. Literally every video and review of the Whipple that I find screams this. But like I said I already did the manifold swap in preparation of the TT originally, so it feels like a centrifugal unit makes logical sense.

Anyone that has driven both, have any input in their preference for a daily and semi corner carver? Any concern about heat issues running the Whipple in Texas summer?

Also, if anyone has input about emissions in Texas with a TT, feel free to speak up, as I haven't really found a solid answer on this other than "know a guy".

Thanks, dudes and dudettes, sorry for the millionth repeat question(s).
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Ive thought about this for months and kind of settled on whipple for least maintenance, good power, most reliability, atleast on the 2018 setups from what ive seen.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Leaning towards the stage 2 p1x (d1x is calling too lol). Pretty bolt on for an fi solution. Do have to change the blower oil every 6k miles or so but is pretty easy. Haven't seen any blown motors recently on those either so that's a plus. And the driveability. But I think almost anyone on here could make a compelling argument for almost any FI solution. It's a great platform to build on.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with AZyote, I started with the 18 mani then went with a p1sc , I know I should used the px . The procharger compliments the 18 mani well .

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Had a blast with my 2 PD setups running a stick. Had a blast with my two autos running a PD. I'd personally stick with a PD setup for a stick shift, and would consider a Vortech or Paxton setup if I were to have not bought my current setup with the PD setup already on it...if for anything a change up. Not a big fan of Procharger. They aren't very stealthy. I don't like pulling in and everyone hearing the whine advertising what's under the hood.

Ran into a buddy I hadn't seen in about two years today. He showed me his little 2008 GT he just picked up for 9K. Opened the door to see a 2011+ GT500 interior. He grinned and said, "It doesn't stop there". He popped the hood and there sat a stock 2011 GT500 swap in this 2008. It was so cool. He's getting ready to turn it up and tune it. He did the whole thing. Tranny instrument panel, ECU...the whole thing. Runs like a sewing machine.

Sponsored

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Also look at VMP Gen 3 blowers which are putting out major power.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Had a blast with my 2 PD setups running a stick. Had a blast with my two autos running a PD. I'd personally stick with a PD setup for a stick shift, and would consider a Vortech or Paxton setup if I were to have not bought my current setup with the PD setup already on it...if for anything a change up. Not a big fan of Procharger. They aren't very stealthy. I don't like pulling in and everyone hearing the whine advertising what's under the hood.

Ran into a buddy I hadn't seen in about two years today. He showed me his little 2008 GT he just picked up for 9K. Opened the door to see a 2011+ GT500 interior. He grinned and said, "It doesn't stop there". He popped the hood and there sat a stock 2011 GT500 swap in this 2008. It was so cool. He's getting ready to turn it up and tune it. He did the whole thing. Tranny instrument panel, ECU...the whole thing. Runs like a sewing machine.
If you do the helical gear option, the Procharger's are quite stealthy. So quiet it's nearly inaudible inside the car when in quiet exhaust mode. Outside the car you only barely hear it when its coming down to idle, although you really have to know what it is to even notice. Straight cut gears are very noisy, however.

Friesian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Alot seem to go turbo in the end. But with the choices listed, if you go procharger you may want to try the 3.73s first, give you bottom end. Whipple the 3.73s will be useless

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Alot seem to go turbo in the end. But with the choices listed, if you go procharger you may want to try the 3.73s first, give you bottom end. Whipple the 3.73s will be useless
There's another member on here with a d1x stage 2 on 3.55 with no reported low or mid range weakness. I was considering dropping to a 3.15 when the time came til I read up on his build and feedback. Will probably stick with my current gearing.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Can always pulley down or waste gate a p1x too if need more instant torque.

Sponsored

Friesian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
There's another member on here with a d1x stage 2 on 3.55 with no reported low or mid range weakness. I was considering dropping to a 3.15 when the time came til I read up on his build and feedback. Will probably stick with my current gearing.
I was gonna go 3.15s as well, but they are an aluminum case

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^^^ Steel housing swap. They are standard on stick shift models.

Supercharged__5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I may be biased to the Centri style, but if you are not going to track the car a ton, and most of your driving will be on the street I personally think the Centi style superchargers are a better setup for street driving. A little less torque on the street is not a bad thing for trying to keep traction, and is easier on the motor. Also, the centri won't heat soak like the PD blowers can. Plus if you do go centri you can probably keep those 3.73s too, which would save you some money.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
All posts on this will be based on opinion and bias, so here's mine...

When deciding between all the different FI offerings, I chose a wastegated Procharger. Since I am governed by fuel (no E85) and a stock motor, I didn't feel the need to go turbo as the other options can easily achieve the power goals I wanted. Most turbo systems reduce ground clearance (piping ran under frame) and either mount the turbos on the ground or in the hot engine bay. On a DD car, those options just weren't for me.

I liked the idea of a wastegated centri because I could get almost the same powerband as a PD, but on a system that runs generally cooler. I chose Procharger because I liked the mounting and layout over the other options.
Sponsored