Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a used 2019 in January and just brought it out of hibernation. Wanted to share my initial thoughts about the Shelby...
This has always been in my mind the Halo car from the S550 generation that made its debut in 2015. I remember going to a local dealership where they had a brand new 2016 (tech pkg) in Avalanche Gray. It was unlike any Mustang I'd ever seen and had such a intimidating presence. I was able to test drive several used models in the past, but I came to the conclusion that it was pretty useless to do so as you really cannot get a feel for this car on a test drive.
My drive back from Indiana in January felt somewhat like a test drive because I was driving on Michelin Cup2 tires in 40 degree weather. The MPSS tires are now installed and I have to say I notice a significant difference in reduced tramlining and overall confidence. The car feels smaller, lighter than my previous GT's with quicker steering response and precise handling. I made the mistake with my first GT of throwing a lot of mechanical and suspension mods on the car relatively quickly without thinking through what I really wanted. The final result was not good and I really struggled with enjoying the driving experience afterwards. Looking back i probably should have kept at it and re-adjusted some things, but by that time I was wanting to try the convertible. Both experiences have given me an appreciation for this car and it's differences.
Interior feels up scaled a bit from the previous model years, although I never complained about the interiors as I think all of the Mustang's interiors with the S550 refresh have been solid. The upgraded B/O stereo system is nice and little touches like the start button matching the shift knob, soft touch materials on door trim/side of center console, as well as the cobra puddle lamps are appreciated. It feels closer to the GT premium interior but without the My Color and ambient lighting which I miss. Visibility is great, probably the best out of all 3 Mustangs i have owned, with the exception of the vert top down. My model does have the BLIS feature which I am so appreciative of; I really like this feature as a secondary warning and I was never a big fan of the small extended view mirrors mounted in the upper corner on previous models. My brain just couldn't process that for some reason on other vehicles i've driven in the past.
Appearance wise it's just hard to describe how good this car looks.... the stance....lines, etc.. attracts a lot of attention, looks, waves, smiles. I appreciate the active exhaust feature as I can shut off the valves and be covert if I choose to be.
Performance wise, the GT350 is probably the perfect car for me as I am not a fan of instant torque which presses you into your seat from stop light to stop light. I will probably never own an electric sports car (I know, never say never) as the on/off switch of instant torque that takes you from 0-60 in 2-3 seconds never appealed to me. I hated driving my wife's Sienna mini van because it had that on/off switch feel. The car feels composed and almost docile when driving on the street. It's just doesn't have an intimidating feel in regards to acceleration when just cruising around town, which is mind boggling when you think of the performance capabilities of this car.
My wife actually was behind the wheel on the first real spirited drive since taking it out of storage. It's a long story, but guys remember to put your wife first, lol. I was very interested in her perception of the vehicle as she had driven both of my GT's extensively. I hate to say it, but she is as proficient or perhaps even more driving a manual sports car. Her first comment was "this feels very different" as she recognized the overall handling capability and nimbleness of the 350.
She was a little confused at first with the lack of immediate torque, but once I explained the expanded rev range of 8250 and the torque curve she very quickly started doing pulls up to 7500+ which put me back in my seat every time. We both chuckled and had grins on our faces for literally an hour as we did pull after pull. Her comment was "that's pretty incredible" I realized during our venture that you can still have a LOT of fun with this car while obeying the law and staying safe. I will say that the torque curve does come on pretty quickly when you have some room to run with this car, I was expecting a "lag" per se, but step on the gas aggressively and the torque curve comes on quick and it will pull you back in your seat. You quickly realize that the 526HP is no joke. This was on fairly straight country roads without aggressive curves, anxious to get it out in the twisties and eventually on the track.
Looking forward to more experiences with the car as I get to know it more. I still feel like i'm driving it home from the dealership for the first time every time I get into it. The car has such a wide range of capabilities that I'm just scratching the surface of.
20200405_194147.jpg
Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
So glad you started this thread !! Last September I bought a brand new 19R. Due to some traveling and the NJ winter I was only able to put 45 miles on the car before I had to store it for the winter. Those 45 miles were on OEM cup tires on cold winter days So I had to baby it.

Fast forward to this spring. After finally getting the right set of wheels to replace the OEM carbon fiber wheels, swapping out OEM brake pads and installing the Caliper Flexion stud kit, today was the very first day I was able to drive the car for my enjoyment.

I left my house with 52 miles on the odometer and came back with 82 miles showing. During those 30 miles I did not stop grinning/smiling/chuckling!!!!!

I was already aware of the lack of torque in the lower RPM range so that didn’t surprise me.
But, when I got this thing past 3500 RPM, the exhaust is screaming and the car is still pulling up to 6000 RPM I couldn’t stop giggling and saying WOW!! It’s such a different animal than the Hellcat and ZLE, it’s different in a good way !!!

The 350 is the composed, well dressed, well mannered assassin!! The Hellcat and ZLE are the loud, intimidating killers who want to kill you at all times.

I can’t tell you how much fun I had driving the 350 in JUST 30 Miles!!!! I can’t wait to drive it again tomorrow.

You want to talk about getting attention??!? On my way back home I stopped for gas, some dude in a late 90s mustang, which sounded like it had a huge motor in it, was courteous enough to give me the right away.

After I made the turn into the gas station, that dude did an 80 foot long burnout down Main Street !!!!!

I also had someone else in a Subaru doing some spirited driving behind me while I was in the mountains.

Talk about attracting attention !!!

so glad I stuck with my search and didn’t give up on getting one of these cars !!! Totally worth the hassle and aggravation of searching and dealing with greedy dealers !!!
9D5379A8-C5C4-4700-BE9A-E8CD5087CF78.jpeg
BC69775D-39BB-4B3B-AC7F-E71986E96584.jpeg

JadeGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I absolutely agree with everything previously posted. This machine is a beast and while the deep Mustang DNA is still there it is sooo different in many ways. We also have a 2017 S550 that is my wife's DD. It's a dream car for her and while she has been behind the wheel of the GT350, twice, she just doesn't care for it. She says it just to different from her GT, that it's a lot to handle, and she can drive like you wouldn't believe.

It's truly a privilege to own something like this.

Last edited:

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
My initial thoughts after nearly 1000 miles in my 19 GT350 is that even though my GT350 is a far superior car to my 13 Boss, I find myself missing the Boss. Maybe I'm crazy who knows.

Sponsored

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
Mine is a daily driver. I can honestly say I feel the same each time I push the red button. :) When looking back at my 91 Mustang GT there are zero comparisons. The foxbody was so crude on so many levels, but I loved it and drove it for 14 years and sold it sight unseen for $5k with 101k miles on it.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the posts guys, I was pretty confident that I was not alone in my assessment and love so far for this car. Regarding the comment about the BOSS302, you might want to watch this video if you haven't already. It might explain your feelings for the 302. Would love to drive one some day....

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday six of us with GT350s went riding up in the mountains. I agree this car is special.
IMG_2213.JPG
I am scheduled to do an event in the Smokey Mountains this July... includes tail of the dragon and some other famous roads in that area. Is that were you guys are from? Wisconsin has a lot of fantastic roads and easy access to Road America, but I do envy those who have those famous mountain pass roads....

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Thanks for the posts guys, I was pretty confident that I was not alone in my assessment and love so far for this car. Regarding the comment about the BOSS302, you might want to watch this video if you haven't already. It might explain your feelings for the 302. Would love to drive one some day....

Yes I have certainly seen this video, they are spot on with the two cars. Great video except they should have used a 350 with a track package for the review. There is just something about the Boss that I find missing in my GT350.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I am scheduled to do an event in the Smokey Mountains this July... includes tail of the dragon and some other famous roads in that area. Is that were you guys are from? Wisconsin has a lot of fantastic roads and easy access to Road America, but I do envy those who have those famous mountain pass roads....
We have a group of guys meet on FB. We're all from NJ with different backgrounds. This was the first ride together to the Hawk Nest in Upstate NY on the twisty mt. roads where three states are join they borders NY, NJ and DE. Just over this week we grew to 13 GT350s and planning to do the ride to Cape May, South NJ. I'll be in Charlotte, NC for my GT350 Track Attack in July and maybe will go ride Tail of the Dragon, which is 4 hours away from Charlotte raceway track. There're a lot of events (every weekend) around where I'm with different cars and different groups. So many rides, so little time.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
We have a group of guys meet on FB. We're all from NJ with different backgrounds. This was the first ride together to the Hawk Nest in Upstate NY on the twisty mt. roads where three states are join they borders NY, NJ and DE. Just over this week we grew to 13 GT350s and planning to do the ride to Cape May, South NJ. I'll be in Charlotte, NC for my GT350 Track Attack in July and maybe will go ride Tail of the Dragon, which is 4 hours away from Charlotte raceway track. There're a lot of events (every weekend) around where I'm with different cars and different groups. So many rides, so little time.
Sounds fantastic. I am hoping to find a group here in WI/IL area that I can connect with on these types of rides...

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
My initial thoughts after nearly 1000 miles in my 19 GT350 is that even though my GT350 is a far superior car to my 13 Boss, I find myself missing the Boss. Maybe I'm crazy who knows.
You are not crazy as many of my car buddies and close friends feel exactly the same way and must say that I am also in the mindset as well.

When comparing a GT350/R to a 2012/2013 Boss or LS it is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are significantly different animals but each has their own terrific qualities and attributes as well.

I was very fortunate to put on ~10,000 miles on the Boss 302 cars that I owned including ~5,000 miles on these 3 Pilot Production cars therefore came to know and understand a regular Boss 302 along with the Laguna Seca model.

As you mentioned the GT350 is a superior car to the Boss 302 but for me I get just as much driving enjoyment, pleasure and exhilaration from the Boss/LS cars as I do the GT350/R's.

Maybe it is the better low end torque or the quad/side exhaust of the Boss 302 or the lumpy idle when the TracKey is activated but I really miss driving my Boss 302 cars a great deal.

Don't get me wrong as I love driving the GT350's and the R models as they are outstanding Mustangs but can honestly say that I enjoy driving both the GT350 and the Boss 302 cars equally.

For those of you who own a GT350 or an R and have not driven a Boss 302 or the 2 seat Laguna Seca do yourself a favor and try to get some seat time in the best handling live axle Mustang prior to the 2015 MY and suggest that you will have a blast with these cars!
DSCF0765.JPG

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Hey Len. Are they still gonna hold the Track Attack?
PM me next time you guys get together for a run. I'm by Sandy Hook. Always up for driving this beast.
Cape May run sounds good to me.

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
Sounds fantastic. I am hoping to find a group here in WI/IL area that I can connect with on these types of rides...
What area of WI are you in? I'm about an hour south of where the IA/IL/WI borders all meet. Like all of western WI, NW IL and NE IA are full of fantastic driving roads.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I am in North East Wisconsin up by Greenbay. It's about a 5 hr drive to minneapolis from where I am... chicago is 3 hours away. Lacrosse WI is 3 hours....
Sponsored