Initial Oil Change thoughts?

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Well i *tried* to unsubscribe to this thread by unclicking the boxes and even that didn't work. Besides *another* oil change thread there are too many unsubstantiated and probably nonfactual claims about drain plugs and factory fill oil. It's all been covered before.

GetSum2112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT - TO, AE, BO, 10 SP & 301A
I did my own at 1k.
Yes, Exxon Valdez oil spill. As prepared as I thought I was...
No, plug didn't break.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I say you should do it by 1000 miles. Then we can listen to you start a thread about your engine tick sooner. Haven't had one of those to read in at least a few days. :crackup:

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
I say you should do it by 1000 miles. Then we can listen to you start a thread about your engine tick sooner. Haven't had one of those to read in at least a few days. :crackup:
😝😝😝 i love my threads lol
i may just hold off a bit, seems to be mixed and nowhere can i see ford saying 1000. so i’ll enjoy my tickless 5.0 for a bit longer lol

Sponsored

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
i may just hold off a bit, seems to be mixed and nowhere can i see ford saying 1000. so i’ll enjoy my tickless 5.0 for a bit longer lol
The only thing in the manual says the breakin is 1k miles before then no aggressive driving or sudden acceleration is recommended. Mentions nothing of changing the oil at 1k that i seen. Many performance engine builds usually call for 500mi break in and oil change but thats a different animal all together.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only thing in the manual says the breakin is 1k miles before then no aggressive driving or sudden acceleration is recommended. Mentions nothing of changing the oil at 1k that i seen. Many performance engine builds usually call for 500mi break in and oil change but thats a different animal all together.
i did my 1000 mile break in. i only accelerated semi hard like twice but wasn’t like in first revving past 5k

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Since I am stuck in this "Hotel California" thread, here is my take:
I changed oil at about 400 miles, I do this for all my new cars sometime between "as soon as I get it home" to "as soon as I get around to it". I broke them in mostly according to the factory recommendation. None of them used excessive oil or seemed short on power, some went well over 100,000 miles. Good luck, ymmv, whatever...

Do I know anything? Maybe not but I worked at a company that has a whole department for tribology so I listened to what they said.
As for my Mustang: maybe it ticks, I am not sure and don't care, it runs great. I put in 10 qts of name-brand synthetic, Motorcraft filter, and drive it. The plastic drain plug (in the plastic oil pan) works ok, the o-ring looks fine and if it doesn't I will get another.
There is no special factory oil fill but if you think there is that's ok, drain it at the recommended mileage and drive on. :)

Here is my cardboard backsplash for oil draining, it comes out FAST!
mustang_oil_drain_20190426_120919_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Joking aside, I changed mine about 4k miles. Been doing about 4k ever since. I drove it hard but not abuseful during break in. I'm a 62k miles now and boosted. My tick has only been loud enough to hear maybe 6-7 times ever so it's there (barely) but nothing like what some people have.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since I am stuck in this "Hotel California" thread, here is my take:
I changed oil at about 400 miles, I do this for all my new cars sometime between "as soon as I get it home" to "as soon as I get around to it". I broke them in mostly according to the factory recommendation. None of them used excessive oil or seemed short on power, some went well over 100,000 miles. Good luck, ymmv, whatever...

Do I know anything? Maybe not but I worked at a company that has a whole department for tribology so I listened to what they said.
As for my Mustang: maybe it ticks, I am not sure and don't care, it runs great. I put in 10 qts of name-brand synthetic, Motorcraft filter, and drive it. The plastic drain plug (in the plastic oil pan) works ok, the o-ring looks fine and if it doesn't I will get another.
There is no special factory oil fill but if you think there is that's ok, drain it at the recommended mileage and drive on. :)

Here is my cardboard backsplash for oil draining, it comes out FAST!
mustang_oil_drain_20190426_120919_resized.jpg
Ooooo great idea with the cardboard!

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is not in my 2019 service manual, is there a TSB about this? If so I need to get some new drain plugs!
Indeed, I can't find it in my service manual either. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where. :blush:

Also, people who track their S550s have reported aftermarket plugs being ejected causing them to pour out all of their oil on the track. This doesn't seem to be a concern for daily driving.
I don't see how that could happen. The Ronin plug has the exact same shape and size as the original plug, the same channel, the same kind of o-ring, and it clicks as snugly in place as the original plug does. Besides, it also has a sort of spring-loaded collar that holds it in place even tighter. I can see how it could leak, if the o-ring were broken, but being ejected? Sounds really strange.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
62k miles and no issues with factory plug. I did purchase an extra one early on just so I had a spare in case I had an issue during an oil change. Haven't used it yet.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I changed mine at 1000k but it was more-so to make me feel good lol. After that, I've been changing between 3000-3500k but only because I do tend to drive it pretty hard when I do drive it.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I change mine every 3,500 miles whether it needs it or not. I did the initial at 1,000 miles, as I have always done this with my cars. Don't be scared of the plastic plug. You should replace it every or every other change for piece of mind, but you can also get a billet one from UPR or one of the other companies that offers one, and not have to worry about it.

Rilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019 PP1
I'm every 3,000 mi. I also never change my oil type. Some engine builders say that is bad for your engine to consistently change the oil types..

I'm sure there's a difference of opinions on this. Just keep that in mind
Sponsored