Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Lock out the IMRC and have him retune for that. If that doesn't fix it, then find another tuner who knows what they are doing.

SQ
this. I'd contact Shaun at AED or Rob at Palm Beach Dyno asap.
Sponsored

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Ok so I thought I'd share my experiences from today.

So after taking the car back to the shop that did the installs and tune, I took it to another shop to get a second opinion.

The second shop did an inspection and didn't find anything wrong (he inspected connections, lines, replaced the cai and took off the manifold to to check for anomalies).

After leaving the IMRC's disconnected, we flashed back to the stock tune (even with some e85 in the tank which made me worried). We took it for a test drive (obviously didn't gun it at all) and to be honest the driveability was substantially better, which is especially surprising considered all the mods were still in place. Like the surging was very minimal, it responded better on the throttle, and didn't buck that much. Only thing I didn't get to check was how it performed WOT obviously, which is actually my biggest concern. We decided that I'm going to bring back my stock injectors and we'll clear out the tank and put only 93 in it. Then he's going to let me use his wife's Lund 93 tune to see how it performs.

Before I left, I switched back to my original flex fuel tune to see how it drove without the IMRC's and good god it was the worst thing I've ever experienced. It stalled at least 3 times on the way home, acceleration was abysmal, and there was this strange popping after every shift. I'm not sure if that's to be expected after disconnecting the IMRCs on the same tune, but if the car was a 4/10 with the IMRCs connected, it was a 1/10 after. Disconnecting the IMRCs seem to not have any affect on the stock tune. The mechanic also pointed out to me that it never threw any codes on the flex fuel tune, regardless of what he did, which raised his concerns (and mine lol).

After tomorrow's test drives, I can give further updates. Anyone have any thoughts about today? It seems like Lund might be my answer.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Its obviously your tune then. Either the MAF data, throttle body data or injector data isn't set up right in your tune giving problems

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so I thought I'd share my experiences from today.

So after taking the car back to the shop that did the installs and tune, I took it to another shop to get a second opinion.

The second shop did an inspection and didn't find anything wrong (he inspected connections, lines, replaced the cai and took off the manifold to to check for anomalies).

After leaving the IMRC's disconnected, we flashed back to the stock tune (even with some e85 in the tank which made me worried). We took it for a test drive (obviously didn't gun it at all) and to be honest the driveability was substantially better, which is especially surprising considered all the mods were still in place. Like the surging was very minimal, it responded better on the throttle, and didn't buck that much. Only thing I didn't get to check was how it performed WOT obviously, which is actually my biggest concern. We decided that I'm going to bring back my stock injectors and we'll clear out the tank and put only 93 in it. Then he's going to let me use his wife's Lund 93 tune to see how it performs.

Before I left, I switched back to my original flex fuel tune to see how it drove without the IMRC's and good god it was the worst thing I've ever experienced. It stalled at least 3 times on the way home, acceleration was abysmal, and there was this strange popping after every shift. I'm not sure if that's to be expected after disconnecting the IMRCs on the same tune, but if the car was a 4/10 with the IMRCs connected, it was a 1/10 after. Disconnecting the IMRCs seem to not have any affect on the stock tune. The mechanic also pointed out to me that it never threw any codes on the flex fuel tune, regardless of what he did, which raised his concerns (and mine lol).

After tomorrow's test drives, I can give further updates. Anyone have any thoughts about today? It seems like Lund might be my answer.
How do you plan to “borrow” a tune? :shrug:

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
"Can I tune more than one vehicle with this programmer?

- You may only tune one vehicle at a time. You may return to stock and tune another vehicle up to 5 times."

That's what I got from SCT's website. Hopefully it works out

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
"Can I tune more than one vehicle with this programmer?

- You may only tune one vehicle at a time. You may return to stock and tune another vehicle up to 5 times."

That's what I got from SCT's website. Hopefully it works out
My bad. What I meant was, I’m pretty sure Lund locks their tunes to the vehicle. Eg. You can’t share them. :shrug:

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Funnily enough, when I went for the injector replacement today, he never loaded his wife's tune onto mine. I don't know if it was because he couldn't or because he felt my stock tune was enough to prove his point that my tune was bad.

Regardless, putting the stock injectors back in and switching over to entirely 93 seemed to resolve a large part of the issues I was having. The car's pickup was much better and the surging is almost entirely gone. Over 3k rpm is much more consistent, even if it is a little bit slower. I would rather have a car with 420 wheel consistently than a car with 450 wheel intermittently. It still bucks a little in the lower rpms, but I think that's due to the IMRC's being locked out, which the stock tune can't adjust for obviously.

I switched over to Lund today, so next week I can update on everything again. I purchased the 93, cai, full exhaust, 18 manifold tune. Going to wait and see how it performs before I pick up the e85 race tune and switch back the 47 pound injectors.

Brianh922

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have an 18 mani with the IMRC's locked out and tuned by Lund. No drivability issues at all, perfectly smooth idle, and pulls like a freight train

Sponsored

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Matt, are you experiencing any issues at all with the IMRC's locked out? Any bucking or surging down low in the RPM range during normal driving?
None what-so-ever! It actually runs better than the stock manifold ever did and I love the more linear throttle feel. No more light pulse or surge when the IMRCs are opening or closing. Lund Tuned and loving it.

Matt

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Are these '18 manifolds worth the hassle really?!
What hassle? (honest question).

They are cheap and easy to get ahold of (no hassle)

The install is very straight forward. I did it twice to add lockouts (no hassle)

LOCK IT OUT the first time and have a reputable tuner hook you up and itll run better than ever before (no hassle)

I cant recommend it highly enough. I love mine.

Matt

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
What hassle? (honest question).

They are cheap and easy to get ahold of (no hassle)

The install is very straight forward. I did it twice to add lockouts (no hassle)

LOCK IT OUT the first time and have a reputable tuner hook you up and itll run better than ever before (no hassle)

I cant recommend it highly enough. I love mine.

Matt
The hassle of getting it working properly and dealing with the IMRC (as you can see from the various posts) and then paying to get it tuned.

In other words, is it REALLY that much better than the '15-'17 GT mani and are you gaining at the top to lose elsewhere?

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
The hassle of getting it working properly and dealing with the IMRC (as you can see from the various posts) and then paying to get it tuned.

In other words, is it REALLY that much better than the '15-'17 GT mani and are you gaining at the top to lose elsewhere?
I went though a TON of hassle trying to get the IMRC's working. LOCK THEM OUT. No hassle there. Get a tune from a reputable tuner and you wont have a lick of hassle there either. The intake and a tune is worth every penny over stock hands down, without a doubt, would do it over again.

Those who are bone stock without any tuning done wont notice any loss anywhere after an 18 manifold LOCKED OUT and a good tune. They will feel a gain all across the board. If your like me and have most of the major bolt-ons and a tune already, you will notice a bit of a loss down low but a MAJOR boost up top and you will pick up a noticeable gain at the track as well.

You appear to be close to where I was mod wise when I did the swap. It felt noticeably sluggish down low when I was trying to get the IMRCs to work. After I locked out, the throttle felt more linear and I felt like the low end when just putting around was back to normal. Only time I noticed it was a bit slow down low was when doing 2K-8K rpm pulls for datalogging. It would take its sweet time till 5K or so then rocket from there. Never bothered me after the lockouts, was perfectly driveable and acceptable. I then added Longtubes and it seems like my low end is back to what it felt like before the Intake Manifold swap and I love it.

Matt

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Quick update:

So I finally got the tune on the car yesterday after driving around for a week with the stock tune (w/ 18 mani IMRCs disconnected, gt350 cai, and long tubes, stock injectors were put back on). The stock tune performed surprisingly well with all the mods and no tune (ran 93). It was a little harder to drive down low, with subtle bucking, but the idle issue was resolved and it pulled like stock after 3k rpm. The car was behaving consistently, which was a really good sign for me.

At that point, I was pretty convinced the issues I was having stemmed from the tune, so the last part of the puzzle was to upload the Lund tune last night.

Well guys, I must say, I haven't been so in love with the performance of my car. It feels fantastic down low (even with IMRCs disconnected still and long tubes), all drivability issues are gone, and it drives like a totally stock car but substantially quicker.

HUGE shout out to Lund and the mechanics that helped me with all the diagnosis, and of course to all of you guys that helped me through this difficult and stressful experience.

I couldn't be happier.

Lessons learned: don't do too many mods at once (aka be patient with modding), get multiple opinions (from these forums, local owners, reputable mechanics/tuners), and as much as I want to support local businesses, Lund really knows what they're doing (do plenty of research on tuners before deciding).

Thanks again to everyone
Sponsored