im such a wannabe.

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
I've watched every single youtube video and for some odd reason my mind isn't capable of making the connection. I've tried to learn how to double clutch and heel toe and all that fun racer stuff but i just can't....... I just don't get it..... Like whenever i try to double clutch, say from 2nd to 3rd....i try to time it so that the second i press the clutch pedal, im simultaneously shifting to neutral and when i press it the second time i'm trying to go from neutral to 3rd. .....lol But i don't know.....well what i do know is that i'm not doing it right bc it seems like everytime i make the transition from the second clutch press to the accelerator pedal, the car just grunts ahead like it rev matched at a low rpm. I hope that made sense.
I think i've got the heel toe down......but that's for later. The videos make double clutching seem like its a piece of cake......Well for me its not.
I know the evidence of a proper shift has a lot to do with acoustics and how everything sounds leveled and smooth. I guess my timings just off bc when I try, lol you hear all types of shit lol.

Anyone who's recently learned themselves or is a great teacher.....please chime in. I want to start developing the right driving habits for this car.

PS: I have a barton hybrid and mantic twin disc ceremetallic clutch with the steeda spring.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
I've watched every single youtube video and for some odd reason my mind isn't capable of making the connection. I've tried to learn how to double clutch and heel toe and all that fun racer stuff but i just can't....... I just don't get it..... Like whenever i try to double clutch, say from 2nd to 3rd....i try to time it so that the second i press the clutch pedal, im simultaneously shifting to neutral and when i press it the second time i'm trying to go from neutral to 3rd. .....lol But i don't know.....well what i do know is that i'm not doing it right bc it seems like everytime i make the transition from the second clutch press to the accelerator pedal, the car just grunts ahead like it rev matched at a low rpm. I hope that made sense.
I think i've got the heel toe down......but that's for later. The videos make double clutching seem like its a piece of cake......Well for me its not.
I know the evidence of a proper shift has a lot to do with acoustics and how everything sounds leveled and smooth. I guess my timings just off bc when I try, lol you hear all types of shit lol.

Anyone who's recently learned themselves or is a great teacher.....please chime in. I want to start developing the right driving habits for this car.

PS: I have a barton hybrid and mantic twin disc ceremetallic clutch with the steeda spring.
BTW: I have the auto blip and its hooked up and works great. I absolutely love it. I just wanna rid the training wheels, ya digg?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
You shouldn't need to double clutch; you're not driving a bus. Are you trying to figure out the art of rev matching your down shifts? That can be done by clutching in, blipping the throttle (the amount of throttle required is the hard part to learn), dropping a gear (or two), and then releasing the clutch. Double clutching requires clutching in, going into neutral, clutching out, clutching in, changing the gear, and then clutching out again. This is entirely too much work.

sZedely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm pretty sure double clutching was for old transmissions without synchronization.
I second this. The MT in the newer Mustangs have synchronized gears . The way I understand it, as long as you are moving up gears sequentially, you are fine. No need to double clutch.
Granted, I'm not a trans expert, so I may be off.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I also had the mistake of confusing rev matching with double clutching. I'm throwing it out there because I felt like an idiot when my semi-professional open-wheel-ford driver asked me why I wanted to double clutch.

If the trans is fully synchronized, then it's not needed (Until you are nursing it because the blocker rings are toast, the syncro friction material is nonexistant, or any other number of mechanical failures).

Rev matching just requires the blip as everyone else says. Heel/toe is for you to do the blip at the same time as getting into the brakes.

FWIW, I find it very hard to properly rev-match in the mustang. The engine decelerates so quickly after the blip, the RPM's still have to jump up when I release the clutch. Yes, this is partially because I shift like a grandma, but the whole "nursing" thing taught me how to shift like a granny because the trans wasn't made any more and I wasn't going to pay top dollar to recoat the synchros.

OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
I guess i'll try slowing down the order of operations. I know that i'll get a MUCH better idea of what needs to be done when if someone skilled drove my car with me in the passenger seat.
Anyways, thanks for all the input. I'm gonna ditch double clutching and just continue to sharpen the heel toe.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
If you can heel toe, you're in good shape. It's especially helpful for 3>2 downshifts (on PP cars anyway) because you have to slow down quite a bit to get in a safe rev range to drop it into 2nd.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
granny shifting, not double clutching like you should.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
granny shifting, not double clutching like you should.
In case you don't know, when street racing it's fastest to upshift at redline in each gear all the way to top gear, then downshift for extra speed. No really, the engine won't mind. Also, if your car "blows the welds off the intake" don't worry, because it will automagically work good enough to evade 100 police officers... Naaaawwwwwsssss!

I loved that movie. So bad, yet so good. Newer ones make the first one look like the stunts were actually possible.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
In case you don't know, when street racing it's fastest to upshift at redline in each gear all the way to top gear, then downshift for extra speed. No really, the engine won't mind. Also, if your car "blows the welds off the intake" don't worry, because it will automagically work good enough to evade 100 police officers... Naaaawwwwwsssss!

I loved that movie. So bad, yet so good. Newer ones make the first one look like the stunts were actually possible.

So true. I always felt that out of all the movies, “Tokyo Drift” was the one that deserves the reboot. Like with all the crazy cgi tech nowadays i think it would be pretty dope. Nice story to work with also.

Speaking of movies ....ive been having this weird dream that comes in pieces....long story short....i was sitting in my 5th grade soc studies class..the whole world starts to shake causing devastation everywhere....weeks later we find out that all the continents of the world moved back into one large land mass.....pangea....and then the story begins....i obvi save the world.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I have been practicing the blip to rev match and downshift. It takes time to get a feel for it but I've gotten better.

OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
Soo im still at it but have definitely gotten alot better....3rd to 2nd is still a brain fart. You know what sucks. Trying to practice this with a modded car makes you look like that douche thats always revving his engine trying to race everyone lol. Im sooo not that guy.....

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I really liked this thread!

Another solution is to never let off the gas pedal at all and power shift it everywhere you go. :like:
Sponsored