Sponsored

New MT Fluid - Reccos and does it impact Tranmission warranty?

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I was going to take the Stang into the dealer for an oil change and ask one of their head mechanics to install the BMR lockouts and BMR/Steed bushings. Also wanted to ask them to change the manual transmission oil - I heard out here that some of the non-OEM oils make the shifting action much better. I have stiffness when cold and wouldnt mind more smoothness in general (yes, an MGW is going to be ordered at some point!)

• Any recommendations on brands? Here is what I have for now as a candidate. (Royal Purple Synchromax 3 quarts or 2 quarts Amsoil Synchromesh with 1 quart Severe Gear Additive)
  • Will it void my warranty on the transmission and/or, are there any warranty friendly oils I can go with that improve the OEM action (or oil additives)? The MT82 in the 2011's used to have some reliability issues I believe, and I'd like to ensure I keep my warranty.
  • Lazy question - how many quarts will I need? It seems 3 quarts total?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks!
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
So long as the trans fluid meets OEM requirements you will not void your warranty.

I used just over 3 quarts for mine, but I had a bit of spillage.

Action was MUCH improved. Combined with Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter I'm very, very pleased.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
So long as the trans fluid meets OEM requirements you will not void your warranty.

I used just over 3 quarts for mine, but I had a bit of spillage.

Action was MUCH improved. Combined with Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter I'm very, very pleased.
What fluid did you use?
Cheers

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
[*]Will it void my warranty on the transmission and/or, are there any warranty friendly oils I can go with that improve the OEM action (or oil additives)? The MT82 in the 2011's used to have some reliability issues I believe, and I'd like to ensure I keep my warranty.
It most definitely can. That what I heard from dealer when asked them to put RP in. Problem with essentially all available transmission fluids is that none of them meets Ford spec. I even pasted RP Tech Support response where they clearly say it doesn't.

Choice is yours, my fluid is still in the original bottles. If you do it, I wouldn't do it at the dealer.

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB PP 6MT Navi 401A.
As stated, there are no fluids that explicitly meet the OEM specs requirements. If you are extremely risk averse, you can only use the OEM fluid.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
As stated, there are no fluids that explicitly meet the OEM specs requirements. If you are extremely risk averse, you can only use the OEM fluid.
Thanks. I'll stick with OEM engine oil and transmission oil for now. Just dont want to void the 60K/5 year powertrain warranty.

Sponsored

Sithel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That's like saying you can't put Mobil 1 in your car for oil because it is not OEM oil. I guess this can void your warranty to? I find that hard to believe.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
You may find it hard to believe, but look at it from the viewpoint of Ford. They've done all of their testing and validation work with the specific lubricant that they intend to use. They have lots of data that says that it is acceptable with that lube. They have zero data that says that long term durability, performance, etc are acceptable with Royal Purple. Or RedLine. Or Mobile1. That's not to say those lubes are bad, but you're introducing a huge variable into an otherwise well known equation. Any engineer would tell you hell no, not without data.

Transmissions can extremely sensitive to lube properties. Its not just the gears, but the syncros, the seals, the bearings, etc are all impacted by the lubricant. In many cases, they can be quite sensitive to it as well. Consider this - if the oil makes enough difference that you can feel a change in shift-ability, can you really say that it has no other influence on other transmission systems? Because, as a drivetrain system engineer, I'd never make that claim. The engine oil comparison isn't really valid; as said above, as long as the oil you use matched the OEM spec, you're OK. If the manual calls for 5W-50 Motorcraft oil and you use 5W-50 Mobil1, there can be reasonable expectation that they both adhere to the same standard for that type of oil. But if you throw in some other grade of transmission lube, formulated to a custom spec which is not blended to the same standard and has been specifically stated as not being to Ford's requirements, well, that's a different story.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I can see Ford denying warranty and making an easy claim based on transmission or engine oil being different. ^^
Just not worth the risk for me - plenty of other mods anyway to go through!

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
You may find it hard to believe, but look at it from the viewpoint of Ford. They've done all of their testing and validation work with the specific lubricant that they intend to use.

Ford does little to none. The Customer is the Test Pilot! Always been like that. :eyebulge:

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
I can see Ford denying warranty and making an easy claim based on transmission or engine oil being different. ^^
Just not worth the risk for me - plenty of other mods anyway to go through!

You keep the old stuff in a jug and if on the very odd chance you have a tranny issue you drain the unit and pour the original back in.

The Ford factory fill is crap. Not Ford's fault. They have a budget to maintain.
Sponsored