Sponsored

If you're a manual lover, would you buy 2020 with no manual?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A lot of what's awesome or great in a car depends on how well it works and what the final product costs. If the GT500 ends up being relatively inexpensive compared to the competition it could be a must have car for many people.
Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
A lot of what's awesome or great in a car depends on how well it works and what the final product costs. If the GT500 ends up being relatively inexpensive compared to the competition it could be a must have car for many people.
True, but do you really believe that? Not even factoring in ADM, itā€™ll be more than the 350 and I would likely expect more than the ZL1 and hellcat (maybe not redeye/demon.) So itā€™ll need some serious specs to be a ā€œonce in a lifetime carā€. To me the difference is an amazing/once in a lifetime car gets buyers from all brands not just the usual brand X fan club.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
True, but do you really believe that? Not even factoring in ADM, itā€™ll be more than the 350 and I would likely expect more than the ZL1 and hellcat (maybe not redeye/demon.) So itā€™ll need some serious specs to be a ā€œonce in a lifetime carā€. To me the difference is an amazing/once in a lifetime car gets buyers from all brands not just the usual brand X fan club.
I don't know what will happen. I've been surprised and impressed by Ford before.

Many people will want the DCT - if it ends up in the car. There's never been a DCT in an American muscle car before. For some people the DCT could make the GT500 a once in a lifetime car.

And I'm sure it will hit a big power number. A lot of the buyers want a big power number.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Since we really don't know how much future development the ICE will see, he may be right about it being a once in a lifetime car. Ford (and others) are betting heavily on EV's in the future. When you think about it, the 18 GT/A10 is almost as fast as the 13-14 GT500's. The 2020 GT500 should be quite a bit better than the Trinity GT500's. I'll go as far as saying if I raced my son in his 13GT500, I'd get him through the 1/4 with my bone stock 18 GT. The 2020 GT500, will be a different animal!

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I don't know what will happen. I've been surprised and impressed by Ford before.

Many people will want the DCT - if it ends up in the car. There's never been a DCT in an American muscle car before. For some people the DCT could make the GT500 a once in a lifetime car.

And I'm sure it will hit a big power number. A lot of the buyers want a big power number.
The 2020 GT500 should be the best all around muscle/pony car there is. If it has a DCT and or over 800 horsepower it very well may be a car like no other.

I am hoping it is 800+hp. (may not be I know but I can hope)

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06

Good point. Unfortunately I think the DCT is a little late to the party now. It maybe a selling point for some but Iā€™m not really sure itā€™s that much better then the current generation of autos. Traditional autos have come along way on the last 8-10 years. But your right for some a DCT (if it happens) and 750+ hp maybe huge. Will a DCT legitimately help put power down any better than the A10?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Will a DCT legitimately help put power down any better than the A10?
I believe that will more be a function of traction controls, dampers/springs, gearing, weight distribution, tire compound, etc. The DCT should shine once the car is rolling, allowing rpm to stay in the optimum range with little to no dip between shifts. A pricey experiment that Ford believes to be worthwhile - according to all the buzz, anyway.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I believe that will more be a function of traction controls, dampers/springs, gearing, weight distribution, tire compound, etc. The DCT should shine once the car is rolling, allowing rpm to stay in the optimum range with little to no dip between shifts. A pricey experiment that Ford believes to be worthwhile - according to all the buzz, anyway.
Which is what I believe as well, and 5 years ago itā€™d be an amazing upgrade on a pony car but now the A10 is pretty darn good and is capable of keeping you in the optimum range. Sure will be interesting. I hope the DCT is as great as we hear.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I surely would buy a GT500 if it only had an automatic. I prefer manual trans but have found automatics can be a lot of fun. Ideally, Ford will offer a GT500 with the option of getting a manual or automatic. Then, we will have a chance to maybe own both.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
it seems to me if a DCT would add performance over the manual and add driver engagement over the auto, maybe thatā€™s how it won out...kind of a compromise that ainā€™t really a compromise

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I love me some rowing, but the GT500 is all about numbers.

I want what makes my car the fastest and most efficient beat it can be. Give me the auto,

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Iā€™ve heard this before and I donā€™t believe people understand how it works. Why WOULDNā€™T a dct dip between shifts??

The clutches arenā€™t programmed to slip after shifts to maintain maximum rpms, only a tiny fraction of slip to engage the next gear and go. Unless it was a continuously variable dct (doesnā€™t exist of course) there is no such thing as little to no dips. It will dip as much as the speed to rpm to gear ratio allows it to.

In what Iā€™m saying above, a 10sp would actually be better for keeping the car in its powerband than a 7sp dct.

The advantage of the dct is speed of inputs from the driver, launch control (assuming the auto wonā€™t have a trans brake like the demon) and weā€™ll, I donā€™t know what else. Itā€™s true, there really isnā€™t much more benefit over a great auto anymore.

My dct experience is from my ā€˜14 GTR I use to own. I also daily an F150 with the 10sp and Iā€™m familiar with how it behaves (in a pedestrian vehilce mind you).

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve heard this before and I donā€™t believe people understand how it works. Why WOULDNā€™T a dct dip between shifts??
Gears can be pre-selected and the transmission doesn't have to detach itself from the engine like an automatic via a torque converter or a manual via its clutch. This allows potentially smoother and faster shifts. There is an efficiency benefit which correlates to a potential improvement in the area of emissions.

Here's a great article that provids plenty of technical detail. Maybe overload for some but if you take the time to read through it you'll gain a bit more perspective. It's from ZF but is entirely relevant regardless of the fact that the GT500 is penned to use a unit from Tremec.
https://www.atz-magazine.com/dual-clutch-transmissions/Dual Clutch Transmissions_ATZ ww.pdf

The DCT in the Ford GT comes from Getrag and here's how they word it...

Getrag said:
All Getrag dual-clutch transmissions work without interrupting the power
flow and, compared to conventional automatic transmissions, achieve a reduction in fuel
consumption and CO2 emission by 4 to 8 %.

The shortened response times during the gearshift (compared to conventional multi-step automatic transmissions with torque converter) allow for more driving pleasure and provide a direct driving experience. Thanks to an individual adaptation of the transmission control, it is possible to cover various driving profiles (comfortable, sporty, racing, etc.). Compared to the conventional torque converter, dual clutches offer the advantage of a targeted actuation and
therefore optimized vehicle launch and gearshift with regard to the dynamics and driving comfort. In addition, Getrag dual-clutch transmissions combine the high degree of efficiency of a manual transmission with an application-specific shifting strategy, thereby resulting in a considerable reduction of the fuel consumption and the CO2 emissions compared to conventional automatic transmissions.
http://www.getrag.com/media/product...20150915_GETRAG_Press_information_7DCL750.pdf

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Gears can be pre-selected and the transmission doesn't have to detach itself from the engine like an automatic via a torque converter or a manual via its clutch. This allows potentially smoother and faster shifts. There is an efficiency benefit which correlates to a potential improvement in the area of emissions.

Here's a great article that provids plenty of technical detail. Maybe overload for some but if you take the time to read through it you'll gain a bit more perspective. It's from ZF but is entirely relevant regardless of the fact that the GT500 is penned to use a unit from Tremec.
https://www.atz-magazine.com/dual-clutch-transmissions/Dual Clutch Transmissions_ATZ ww.pdf

The DCT in the Ford GT comes from Getrag and here's how they word it...

http://www.getrag.com/media/product...20150915_GETRAG_Press_information_7DCL750.pdf
Nice articles. I do understand how they work, thatā€™s not what I was questioning though.

There will always be a dip in RPMs during gear changes. Impossible not to unless itā€™s a CVT.

Regardless, I would prefer the dct over the auto because I have experience with the dct and it feels better to me than the 10sp. Iā€™d have to drive a mustang with the 10sp to really see it in action though.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose nothing can operate at the speed of light...except for light. What is perceptable to the end user is something that is reasonably arguable. On paper, the DCT has the potential to eek out more performance from the GT500 engine than a torque converter managed transmission ever could. Shifting at or near hp/torque peak should provide a noticeable performance improvement over the best automatic Ford has access to as well as any TR6060 variant. I don't think Ford would have moved forward if the benefit wasn't there given the additional weight/cost.
Sponsored