Sponsored

If you're a manual lover, would you buy 2020 with no manual?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You may be right.

Ford may release the GT500 as 750+, 780+, 800+ hp etc and release the exact hp number in a few months.

I hope they just release all the numbers on January 14.
I bet they have a few internal HP target categories: no_sweat, reasonably_likely, pie_in_the_sky ... and we'll see a no_sweat+ number on Jan 14th. The worst thing they could do is overestimate and have to backtrack, so I'd imagine they'll be incredibly conservative, and possibly even hold a little back for 3rd year or special edition (or just to build in some extra margin of safety).
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I bet they dont tell us exact HP numbers until the cars getting ready to roll down the line. I'm thinking they say, over 740 and then before production they give us final numbers, say 757HP.
this pretty much happened with all of their late model svt/FP vehicles, namely 13/14 gt500, 15+350, 17 raptor, GT and heck, even their '18 Mustang GT got a bump for final numbers.
Exactly.

Hell, the ford GT was already in CUSTOMERS hands before the power figure was released. Unreal.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I think the first new Ford GT's were for top Ford executives and delivery of their cars was around January of 2017, IIRC. Public deliveries were a bit sparse and started a bit after that. SAE power numbers followed in early 2017. But you're right, it looks to have been after and not before the first delivery.

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/cpfd2_17fordgt/

And for only $1,000 you too can purchase the detailed test results from SAE.

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/cpfd2_17fordgt/preview/

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
To go back to the original topic for a bit, there is no way that I'll be able to afford the new GT500, at least not new, but while I fully understand that modern Autos can be much faster and more efficient than manuals now, I just find manuals more fun to drive, and I wouldn't want to buy a car that I don't enjoy driving. If I was buying a car specifically for heavy track use and I want the fastest I can get then I'd probably get an auto at that point. But for driving on weekends around town, to friends and family, work, daily tasks. I'd prefer a manual every time.

I'd also never say that any car "shouldn't" have an auto option. There are many people that have difficulty with a manual for a number of reasons and I'd never want to tell them "Sorry, you can drive your dream car because you have a back or leg problem" or some such.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd also never say that any car "shouldn't" have an auto option. There are many people that have difficulty with a manual for a number of reasons and I'd never want to tell them "Sorry, you can drive your dream car because you have a back or leg problem" or some such.
I get this. I really do.

But in the same breath I don't want to be told that I can't build my dream car with the transmission I want just because other people prefer a different transmission type. Works both ways, or at least it should.

Norm
Sponsored