Sponsored

If you're a manual lover, would you buy 2020 with no manual?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The auto is boring.hands on the wheel and hit the gas pedal, that's it.
But hey, you can't push the gas pedal all the way down without spinning the tires! You have to modulate the pedal!! That is if you turn traction control off - otherwise the car probably does that for you as well.

Hopefully the GT500 will have lane assist and smart cruise as well - it's too much work actually driving the car. :giggle:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It is coming with a DCT so gives a lot of you an excuse not to buy one.
Not having enough money is another excuse I have. Oh, and not wanting to sell my GT350.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Not quite. Autos make the car faster and more consistent. Manuals are more fun to drive overall but are a little slower and not as consistent.

Both are great and it is silly to think only manuals are any good or only autos.
If I was only out for pure numbers, you are right. I'm in it for the engagement of the entire driving experience, and I find the disconnect with an automatic disheartening. I find it truly funny to read so many road tests of high performance and supercars currently available, and the main complaints lie within the issues of shift maps and transmission sluggishness. All problems all that could be fixed with the third pedal.

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
If I was only out for pure numbers, you are right. I'm in it for the engagement of the entire driving experience, and I find the disconnect with an automatic disheartening. I find it truly funny to read so many road tests of high performance and supercars currently available, and the main complaints lie within the issues of shift maps and transmission sluggishness. All problems all that could be fixed with the third pedal.
If you are not drag racing the car at all then yes, the manual transmission gives you a overall more satisfying experience.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you are not drag racing the car at all then yes, the manual transmission gives you a overall more satisfying experience.
Manual transmission is more fun for drag racing as well. I realize it's difficult to get a great time while drag racing no matter what transmission you have. However, with a manual it's even more difficult to be fast and consistent. Therefore, ultimately more satisfying when you succeed with a manual transmission.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Manual transmission is more fun for drag racing as well. I realize it's difficult to get a great time while drag racing no matter what transmission you have. However, with a manual it's even more difficult to be fast and consistent. Therefore, ultimately more satisfying when you succeed with a manual transmission.
I agree, but it takes a very good driver to drag race a manual well. (Still will never be quite as fast as an auto with a very good driver) Most people are not even good drivers, let alone very good drivers.

I have an auto in my 2017 mustang gt. Reason I got it is because I was planing on supercharging it and drag racing.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree, but it takes a very good driver to drag race a manual well. (Still will never be quite as fast as an auto with a very good driver) Most people are not even good drivers, let alone very good drivers.

I have an auto in my 2017 mustang gt. Reason I got it is because I was planing on supercharging it and drag racing.
My way of thinking about it is it depends on your ultimate goal. Is the ultimate goal to have the most fun, or is a faster time more important than having fun?

I realize I would probably be better off in the fun department if I had a less expensive car and could afford more track outings, so I'm not necessarily living up to my own advice. Do what I say, not what I do...

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06

It’s very hard, that’s why most that have manuals don’t drag race!! 700+, rwd cars in manual are tons of fun but extracting the performance out of them is much more difficult. In this case I’d be very happy if it’s a DCT, it’d probably be the best option to be fast on track and strip. And I personally think a good auto with good paddles can be tons of fun, not too mention on track it’s way easier to focus on the driving and being fast.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It’s very hard, that’s why most that have manuals don’t drag race!! 700+, rwd cars in manual are tons of fun but extracting the performance out of them is much more difficult. In this case I’d be very happy if it’s a DCT, it’d probably be the best option to be fast on track and strip. And I personally think a good auto with good paddles can be tons of fun, not too mention on track it’s way easier to focus on the driving and being fast.
Especially hard to control mega power with a front engine rear drive configuration where there is more weight on the front than the rear.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Especially hard to control mega power with a front engine rear drive configuration where there is more weight on the front than the rear.
Exactly! I’d love to see a GT500 KR (or any of the American manufactures) with AWD (traditional or small motors powering the front wheels) to literally be the king of the road! 0-60 in 2.5 would be wicked!! A 500R seems appropriate for the fastest/lightest road course/track car.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I'd buy one manual option or not this is a once in a life time car!!!
Really? I’m genuinely curious why you feel that way? So far, it has some tricks but nothing groundbreaking.

Groundbreaking for a pony car maybe...? But not a once in a lifetime car.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Really? I’m genuinely curious why you feel that way? So far, it has some tricks but nothing groundbreaking.

Groundbreaking for a pony car maybe...? But not a once in a lifetime car.
I was thinking the same thing! I hear the possibility of a nice DCT, but definitely nothing ground Breaking. I think turbos and/or AWD would qualify or a serious amount of CF, but nothing so far really seems next level.
Sponsored