Sponsored

If you're a manual lover, would you buy 2020 with no manual?

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I sort of wonder which is cause and which is effect here . . . do most of those who have MT cars not drag race because they have a MT or do they have the MT because drag racing is of less interest to them?

Good question, would make a great anonymous poll. I think you would get a pretty even 50/50 split. It’d be interesting if they engineered an extremely effective LC system that could consistently hit sub 1.8 60fts would the number increase?

Bet if you're coming from driving MT cars near-exclusively, a +/- gate for the shifter would feel more natural. There wouldn't be any tendency to tap a shift lever twice like can happen with paddles, either.
Possibly, I don’t have much experience with the gate style. Honestly though I’ve never accidentally clicked the paddles twice.
Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I'd rather have a manual ecoboost than an automatic GT500 if those are the two options given to me.
What??????????????????????????????????????

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
nope. no auto. no thanks... unless it's dual clutch and requires paddles to shift and there is no auto mode...

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package 1
Never. No car. I'd just drive old cars for the next 25 years by which point I'll be approaching 70 and no longer give a crap. Just would never buy an automatic no matter how much faster bla bla. Just don't care. Then it becomes steering not driving. Just not interested.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I love shifting gears myself. The raw feeling of linking up the next set in my Cobra is very satisfying.

However, I can’t begin to describe how lame missing a perfect shift gets when it’s important.

So an auto or DCT that enables consistently getting the most out of the car is very welcome. I also see that as a way for magazine drivers to have a harder time getting away with sandbagging mustang performance. A car this important deserves to have its best foot put forward every time.

That said, I can’t imagine there being no manual option. It’s the easiest thing to do.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
That said, I can’t imagine there being no manual option. It’s the easiest thing to do.
I think it has everything to do with costs, having a single performance target, etc., you know, not a "can they", but a "do they want to". If the auto is a traditional setup, then I could see them offering a manual - if it winds up being a DCT? I'd hedge my bets on that being the __only__ transmission.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think it has everything to do with costs, having a single performance target, etc., you know, not a "can they", but a "do they want to". If the auto is a traditional setup, then I could see them offering a manual - if it winds up being a DCT? I'd hedge my bets on that being the __only__ transmission.
Since it’s inception, the Mustang has always been about choice and options.

Ford knows it’s an enthusiast car. And some people will have to change their undergarments and possibly their pants if There is no manual.

So it’s possible that Ford is streamlining the car to only one drivetrain combo in order to save on cash. But I kind of doubt it.

And fords last minute retro additions (hood pins, etc) would seem to mesh well with the dna of a car that gives you the option to shift yourself.

But... I do see your point and it’s definitley possible.

However, dialing in the DCT or auto in this car is the hard part. Once that’s done, it takes all of a couple weeks to fine tune the manual from start to stop. Just figure out which one you want, plug in the engine numbers to determine gearing, then refine those numbers with CAFE goals, weigh that against gas guzzler status, make a decision, tell your partners what you want, design the mounts, build the hardware to manufacture, test, and it’s off to the assembly line. A bit more to it than that but not some crazy torture test by any means.

I imagine this has been done and dialed in a long time ago.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
I believe Ford was still dialing in the car (drivetrain) up until a couple months ago.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I believe Ford was still dialing in the car (drivetrain) up until a couple months ago.
Honestly wouldn’t doubt it if they’re still dialing.

Chances are we won’t know output for at least another 7-8 months. For real.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
More like they were deciding which one of a number of options to choose.

Either way, they know the output as the car is going to production in months. Plenty of time to get the manual ready if it wasn’t yet, which would be crazy. This car has been in development forever.

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
Honestly wouldn’t doubt it if they’re still dialing.

Chances are we won’t know output for at least another 7-8 months. For real.
You may be right.

Ford may release the GT500 as 750+, 780+, 800+ hp etc and release the exact hp number in a few months.

I hope they just release all the numbers on January 14.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
You may be right.

Ford may release the GT500 as 750+, 780+, 800+ hp etc and release the exact hp number in a few months.

I hope they just release all the numbers on January 14.
They’ve already told you 700+ and that was months ago. I think you’ll know power specs on the 14th. I’m not sure you’ll get any 0-60, 1/4 estimates or price though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They’ve already told you 700+ and that was months ago. I think you’ll know power specs on the 14th. I’m not sure you’ll get any 0-60, 1/4 estimates or price though.
When they did the original showing of the GT350 in November of 2014, they said 500+ HP. They didn't say 526 until quite a while later after we had lots and lots of information about the car's appearance, brakes, drivetrain, options, etc.

I'm prepared to be surprised if Ford gives an exact power number at Detroit.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
When they did the original showing of the GT350 in November of 2014, they said 500+ HP. They didn't say 526 until quite a while later after we had lots and lots of information about the car's appearance, brakes, drivetrain, options, etc.

I'm prepared to be surprised if Ford gives an exact power number at Detroit.
That’s only a couple months difference and my guess is they were still validating the final number. They said 700+ in what April at NY? I think they know and you’ll know in 10 days! I could easily be wrong though, and that would just be Ford continuing to drag their feet on this.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I bet they dont tell us exact HP numbers until the cars getting ready to roll down the line. I'm thinking they say, over 740 and then before production they give us final numbers, say 757HP.
this pretty much happened with all of their late model svt/FP vehicles, namely 13/14 gt500, 15+350, 17 raptor, GT and heck, even their '18 Mustang GT got a bump for final numbers.
Sponsored