Sponsored

If you're a manual lover, would you buy 2020 with no manual?

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
I know a lot of purists and hard core drivers, enjoy the manual driving (not just for speed, but for the fun and control), but Autoblog seems to confirm, there is no manual with 2020 GT500.
So, if you're a manual lover, will you buy this car?
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Have any auto lovers bought a GT350, S197 GT500, '03-'04 Cobra, etc?

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
The DCT info was kinda my tipping point that caused a switch of brands (thanks @Epiphany for the post on the other site). I have never driven a DCT, so i can’t really judge how much I’d like it. Initial guesses are it’s more fun than a traditional auto, not as engaging as a traditional manual, and totally and completely necessary for the nasty performance this thing is about to unleash.

I feel like the dealer would not be so willing to give me the lengthy test drive I’d need to decide.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I know a lot of purists and hard core drivers, enjoy the manual driving (not just for speed, but for the fun and control), but Autoblog seems to confirm, there is no manual with 2020 GT500.
No. Been there with the A8 Hellcat. Back in a manual and loving every second of it. The hard shifting and kick down in the A8 Hellcat was awesome but just not as fulfilling for the other 90% of driving.

knightryder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500 SVTPP/SVTTP (traded) 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF GTS
I had the opportunity to drive many different cars with the latest automatic transmissions from DCT'S to the lasted 10 speed offerings from Ford and GM. Each time I experienced a feeling of being disconnected. I liken it to taking a shower with a raincoat on. I'll be the first to admit that the latest generation of automatics are quicker and can shift faster but to me the driving experience is lost in the translation. Give me 3 pedals or it's no sale.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've driven a DCT M4 on the street as well as a Ferrari and Porsche GT3 with DCTs on track and I'm not really interested in a car with that kind of transmission. I don't care in the least how fast it is - still wouldn't own one. If Ford puts a DCT in the GT500 I'm sure it will be fast and they will sell no problem. Just not to me. I am cheering for the GT500 to be really quick around a track, though.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I love the manual in the GT350, but in a car some 500lbs heavier, to me it wouldn't be as enjoyable.
It also depends on how good that manual is. If it's as bad as the last gt500, forget it.
With as much HP as this is going to have, I welcome the auto/DCT.
I'll hear the reviews on it before the order goes in.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'll be the first to admit that the latest generation of automatics are quicker and can shift faster but to me the driving experience is lost in the translation. Give me 3 pedals or it's no sale.
Ditto here ... has to be a manual.

And my 18 yr old (whom I'm teaching how to drive stick) is all for manuals as well, as his buddies are. I'm hoping they'll be ones to bring the manuals back to their former selling %'s.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Nope, not a chance. Automatics are fantastic for consistency in drag racing. Otnerwise, they are a fun-killer. SAVE THE MANUALS!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
No conventional 3-pedal MT, no sale.

Same goes for our "family cars".

Norm
Sponsored