• Total voters

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
If they did this, it would be like a Challenger / Charger scenario. They could use the Mustang platform to make a 4 door car, but I sure hope they would not use the Mustang name... Give it a new name like Cougar or Thunderbird or something out of the historical database of car nameplates... AND make it look different enough that it does not look like a 4 door Mustang...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Pretty sure just asking this question can get you arrested in certain states...

Please don't give ford any ideas. They're already flirting with electric Mustangs

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Pretty sure just asking this question can get you arrested in certain states...

Please don't give ford any ideas. They're already flirting with electric Mustangs
Too late for that. I believe Ford no longer thinks of the Mustang as a model but as a brand. The name is iconic and they can build on 55 years of it. Why wouldn't they? I'm not saying I'd like it but from Ford's perspective you can certainly understand why.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thanks for the feedback guys, I knew it was touchy subject with the Mustang fans, if only the name is the problem then we can rename it to (I was thinking of calling it the Panther)!!! Appreciate the positive feedback!!!
I have a feeling that to make a legitimate 4-door, 4/5 passenger sedan from the S550 platform would involve something like 8" more between the axles, if for no other reason than making for rear doors long enough to actually function as adult-usable doors by themselves. A 115" wheelbase car is not a Mustang in any way, shape, or manner. A curb weight that starts with the number '4' for most if not all trims doesn't help the mental image any.

Fusion or Taurus I could see being the name for such a car. Or Torino (the Torino actually was available in 4-door trim).

Norm

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I have a feeling that to make a legitimate 4-door, 4/5 passenger sedan from the S550 platform would involve something like 8" more between the axles, if for no other reason than making for rear doors long enough to actually function as adult-usable doors by themselves. A 115" wheelbase car is not a Mustang in any way, shape, or manner. A curb weight that starts with the number '4' for most if not all trims doesn't help the mental image any.

Fusion or Taurus I could see being the name for such a car. Or Torino (the Torino actually was available in 4-door trim).

Norm
Agreed that on the S550 platform it would be a stretch to see that happening. If the rumors are true and the Mustang is moving to the 2020 explorer platform tho...then it becomes a little more believable

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
In all honesty, look at the 80's the famous Fox Mustang... They made more than Just the Mustang on the Fox platform, it incuded the LTD, the Fairmont, Thunderbird, Cougar, and a ton of other cars... Each of these cars used the same platform, but were so different that you would never realize it. It is a smart move to use the same platform for several models, it keeps costs down for one thing, and finding parts is not nearly as difficult...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Delete this! You delete this now. And burn the servers never speak of this again. We need to make sure no one from ford sees this
Sponsored