LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Today's Mustang is a brand, not just a model. This is what Ford wants no matter how we feel about. I don't like it, you don't like it. Ford doesn't care. The End! ☹
100% accurate. It's Ford's baby, and they can do what they want with it. The Mustang II and Probe are proof of that!
Sponsored

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
hey htat would make a Great name for the 4-door. Mustang Probe. Though the jokes would not be kind.
They are going to stick with Mustang, because it's a great name with much heritage. Even the Thunderbird was made with a 4 door version from 67-71.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I heard Ford was dropping the Mustang name. It’s apparently offending too many horses.
only free range horse opinions matter after all. You horses showing your barn privilege should keep your nose in your feedbag and stay in the bicycle lane.

Sponsored

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Today's Mustang is a brand, not just a model. This is what Ford wants no matter how we feel about. I don't like it, you don't like it. Ford doesn't care. The End! ☹
True. Ford doesn’t care, but they surly realise that but by calling a 4door a mustang, the brand will be diluted and loose it’s effect so to speak.

In years to come it will just be another overused name with no substance.
Probably you will also get SUV mustangs, hatchback mustangs , diesel mustangs etc.
O well, such is life...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
True. Ford doesn’t care, but they surly realise that but by calling a 4door a mustang, the brand will be diluted and loose it’s effect so to speak.

Probably you will also get SUV mustangs, hatchback mustangs , diesel mustangs etc.
O well, such is life...
That may or may not happen. But personally, at this point, I do not care what they do as long as it keeps our Mustang alive, preferably with a V8.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

O well, such is life...
Keep in mind that while the purists hated it, the 4 seater Tbird quickly outsold the 2 seat Tbird, and the 67-71 4 door Tbird did nothing to dilute the Tbird name either. The only years that sold as poorly as the 55-57 2 seaters were the 02-05 2 seaters. Sometimes you have to think out of the box. As long as they offer the same powertrains as the coupes, I don't see an issue with selling them side by side.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
100% accurate. It's Ford's baby, and they can do what they want with it. The Mustang II and Probe are proof of that!
I don't get all the hate toward the Mustang II. Quite honestly, given the time it was produced, it was not a horrible offering. Better than what a lot of the other competitors were putting out at the time.

Can people stop doing this please?

There is no 4 door Mustang. Never was, never will be. Ford got rid of cars, they aren't adding anymore to the lineup.

Does this qualify for a lock symbol? @Twin Turbo
What folks don't seem to be realizing is that Ford Motor Company is positioning Mustang as a sub-brand, not just a model. You are correct that Ford, in the foreseeable future will not produce passenger cars.

I have been a Mustang aficionado since I purchased my first pony in 1984 (1966 289v8 coupe) and have owned no less than 15 different Mustangs since that time. I welcome a four-door version of the model. If it will help attract buyers, then more power to Ford in doing it. It will not make the two-door version any less of a performance car.

Yes, "purists" will denigrate it as some sort of treason by Ford and may not choose to purchase another Mustang because of it but those will be in the minority. Dodge fans lamented the four-door Charger, but they have sold more of those than the Challenger even though both offer similar drivetrains. Dodge has sold an average of 93,000 four-door Chargers a year between 2005 and 2020. Imagine what their sales would be if they offered a two-door version of the same car! And that is with Dodge also offering another performance car in the two-door Challenger! (Which, BTW, has averaged 49.6K units sold per year over 13 years of production with no significant visual/platform changes.)

And let's not forget when Porsche announced the Cayenne SUV. The "purists" hated it and felt it diluted the Porsche name. Agin in 2009 when the Panamera went onsale, "purists" grumbled, another Porsche too far; another unnecessary detour from the company's core values. (Sound familiar?). Did it prevent Porsche from delivering and improving its core performance offerings? Nope. It just increased overall Porsche sales volumes.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I don't get all the hate toward the Mustang II. Quite honestly, given the time it was produced, it was not a horrible offering. Better than what a lot of the other competitors were putting out at the time.
Most classic Mustang guys absolutely hated the II. They were quick with a built 302 and a little nitrous though!