Vehicle Showcase

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Notwithstanding gimmicky gadgets, I was at a car show and a GM engineer had an EV converted Corvair on display (his personal vehicle). He put a Tesla motor in the back where the original engine sat, and the batteries in the frunk. What caught my eye was the 4 on the floor stick and a clutch (which I figured were just for show). But no - this guy somehow connected the motor to the 4 speed tranny and clutch. He made a true EV with a manual trans. That was cool.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
An unconnected shifter and clutch? If the car doesn't need any transmission at all why simulate one? Are drivers really going to think they are doing something to make the car go?

Might as well put an unconnected, simulated hand crank starter on the front of a GT500.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
What's still missing is an exhaust tip that shakes when you start it up and creates steam in cold weather.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Soooo… the technology I had with a racing steering wheel connected to a PlayStation in the early 2000’s is now about to be in a mass produced electric vehicle. Got it.

Sponsored

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback Restomod in GT350 livery
I'm in the camp that thinks a transmission in EVs is an excellent idea when viewed from an enthusiast perspective.

I realize they add cost, weight, inefficiency and complexity. The payoff is a boost to the primary performance advantage that EV's are known for - acceleration. The gearing in any one-speed EV is a compromise between (among other things) acceptable low-speed torque vs. specified top speed, given the RPM rating of the motor.

A transmission is a torque-multiplier. As with an ICE vehicle, an EV could have significantly more low-end torque with a transmission - up to the motor's RPM limit.

Is it economical? No. Financially practical? Probably not. But then, neither is my '65 Mustang, or my '19 GT350 Line-Lock. But they're fun!

Still, it might be a hoot to drive a multi-speed Mach-E with sticky tires that accelerates faster than a single-speed Tesla Plaid up to 60 MPH.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't think I would even consider a car with a FAKE manual transmission. I do agree with those who are saying an electric with a manual could be fun. Especially since a lazy person could just leave it in one gear and drive it that way if they didn't feel like shifting that day.
Sponsored