Sponsored

I DON'T have the tick but I have the 2K Rattle

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Sometimes I have the rattle within the first mile of driving but it goes away completely after that. I'm gonna chalk it up to being an inherent characteristic of the engine. Obviously, a loud, excessive rattle that never goes away would be a cause for concern.
Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Sometimes I have the rattle within the first mile of driving but it goes away completely after that. I'm gonna chalk it up to being an inherent characteristic of the engine. Obviously, a loud, excessive rattle that never goes away would be a cause for concern.
I'm sure that's what most of us have but, until Ford actually knows the cause and what the actual, real remedy is, I'm driving mine and living with it. I do NOT want to go through short/long blocks, buy-backs into new cars that do the same thing, etc. There will be a fix at some point.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Am I crazy for thinking the video at the bottom of page 1 is normal? I've had direct injection cars since the Lincoln LS, which sounded just like the video but louder. I was shocked by it then and found out it was normal, took a while to get used to.

The video also sounds a lot like my recent turbo Mercedes & BMW injectors, and my Mustang has that sound too and it seems entirely normal to me.

They added direct injection for '18 & '19 right so this all makes sense to me. That's just how direct injection sounds, and it does get quieter when they warm up but never fully goes away. To my ears this is totally normal, but I obviously could be wrong! It doesn't bother me at all.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Am I crazy for thinking the video at the bottom of page 1 is normal? I've had direct injection cars since the Lincoln LS, which sounded just like the video but louder. I was shocked by it then and found out it was normal, took a while to get used to.

The video also sounds a lot like my recent turbo Mercedes & BMW injectors, and my Mustang has that sound too and it seems entirely normal to me.

They added direct injection for '18 & '19 right so this all makes sense to me. That's just how direct injection sounds, and it does get quieter when they warm up but never fully goes away. To my ears this is totally normal, but I obviously could be wrong! It doesn't bother me at all.
My BMW sounds nothing like my Mustang. There is no rattle at any RPM level. The fuel injection clicking is present in both cars, but it sounds much quieter.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Some claim to not have it. I am not sure I believe any car doesn't have some level rattle, even if it is barely audible. Maybe there are some lucky ones out there, but I am not part of that group (nor are the local owners I have met).
I've never seen, either in person or via a video, someone who doesn't have the rattle, at least when cold, on a 2018/2019. Everyone who has gotten a relacement also has the rattle. Some do it all the time, some only when cold. In my case, the first engine did it all the time and the second only when cold.

It's funny to then see threads like this one where someone asked "I have the rattle what do, is it serious, what's a search button?" And all I can think is "you and the rest of the world."

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I must be deaf. I heard virtually nothing out of the ordinary in either vid.
me too. Mic is very sensitive and it seems like loud but even turn signal sounds loud...
Makes me wonder how many guys are driving around with the 2K rattle and don't even realize it. I can hear it going on at 2K in both those videos. Sounds like a diesel engine.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just took mine out for a bit and it's there wether cold or warm. It's only if I'm tipping in the throttle and can make it stop if I adjust acceleration. I feel like it's normal almost. Have zero power loss.
Piston slap only occurs under certain engine RPM and loads ... not at all RPM and loads. I bet if someone was climbing a steep hill at 2K RPM with lots of throttle the rattle would be gone or noticeable different because of the changed engine load. Your light throttle vs acceleration through 2K basically proves that same point.

Has anyone tried just revving the engine slowly up to 2K RPM while in neutral? I'm assuming that condition will also make the 2K rattle happen.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Piston slap only occurs under certain engine RPM and loads ... not at all RPM and loads. I bet if someone was climbing a steep hill at 2K RPM with lots of throttle the rattle would be gone or noticeable different because of the changed engine load. Your light throttle vs acceleration through 2K basically proves that same point.

Has anyone tried just revving the engine slowly up to 2K RPM while in neutral? I'm assuming that condition will also make the 2K rattle happen.
Not with the new engine, but on my old I tried to. I think one of my videos in my old engine replacement thread has it. It rattled around 1k rpm and then faded. It also sounds a lot like bearing rattle, tbh.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Never rattled doing that in my car in the past. It may do it now.

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

I've tried it after I pulled it in the garage to see if I could hear it more pronounced since it's an enclosed space. Can't hear it at all. Literally no rattle doing this. It's only under load while driving.

Sponsored

devin2589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Noticed something this morning. my wife has a 2016 f150. curiosity got to me and i decided to see if her truck rattles. held it in 3rd gear at 2000 rpms. i'll be damned if that thing didnt make the same exact noise that my car does. even after its warmed up, it's still there. so what does that tell us?

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Noticed something this morning. my wife has a 2016 f150. curiosity got to me and i decided to see if her truck rattles. held it in 3rd gear at 2000 rpms. i'll be damned if that thing didnt make the same exact noise that my car does. even after its warmed up, it's still there. so what does that tell us?
That's just the way the Coyote sounds then. Time to tune it!

Crimson5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
P
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt a10
I've tried it after I pulled it in the garage to see if I could hear it more pronounced since it's an enclosed space. Can't hear it at all. Literally no rattle doing this. It's only under load while driving.
Funnily enough, mine would only do it in neutral. Never heard the rattle while going through a tunnel or tight spots.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This this not DI tick my friend.
I truly wish it was but is not.

I am starting to think it is tranny related or somewhere between the tranny and engine. Because sometime when cold when I downshift the same rattle noice is heard but much louder only when going 3 to 2 or 2 to 1.

Or manifold related but then again my manifold has been replaced... the first one sounded really bad

Sponsored