Sponsored

I DON'T have the tick but I have the 2K Rattle

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
So after combing through 15 or so pages of everyone sharing their experiences, has anyone gotten a concrete explanation as to why this is happening or how to remedy it? Seems like many of you have brought it into the dealer and some have had the engine replaced.
I'm looking into installing a supercharger, but after hearing my car make this rattle, I'm hesitant now.
I am by no means an engineer or work for Ford... but I did own a 2018 Mustang GT and now a 2021 2SS 1LE Camaro... I've been on both sides of the fence. My Mustang had the 2k rattle and BBQ tick. It turns out I had cylinder wall scoring on 2 different cylinders.... one was moderate and the other was mild as far as scoring.

I still think the 2k rattle has something to do with direct injection and the way the high pressure fuel pump works and it creates some sort of sound disturbance that sounds horrible. I notice in that same RPM band with my Camaro, I can sort of hear that 2k noise... but it seems like GM has droned out about 95% of it... whereas Ford just didn't put in the effort to get rid of the noise.

As far as engines getting replaced, I think the Gen 3 Coyotes are just over engineered and there's a lot of tolerances that vary depending on how each engine ends up getting built.... That's why I think some Gen 3s have had immediate replacements. I also think that's why some have no scoring at all, some have moderate scoring (like mine), and others have really severe cylinder wall scoring. Just quality control issues on an over-engineered engine.

There is no real answer I think... you just hope your engine doesn't have a ton of cylinder wall scoring, I don't think the 2k rattle is related to engine replacements.
Sponsored

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
The rattle is usually from the VCT system. You can actually tune it out.
Another use for the volume knob?šŸ˜‚
After reading through all these posts, I haven't found anyone who faced catastrophic engine failure from the rattle. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.
I surmise that this is just an inherent issue with this engine that canā€™t be addressed.

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
Another use for the volume knob?šŸ˜‚
After reading through all these posts, I haven't found anyone who faced catastrophic engine failure from the rattle. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.
I surmise that this is just an inherent issue with this engine that canā€™t be addressed.
I fixed it by permanently enabling "optimum power" cam timing as a test in the tune. It stops the cams swinging so hard (as they no longer go into the best fuel economy retard position). I assume that the extreme swinging causes some slack in the chain/actuator which is what makes it rattle.

The rattle seems to occur at very light throttle when backing on/off. If you change the cam timing to the optimum power angles (about 20 deg differences) there is no rattle at all.

I don't run the car like this all the time as it ruins fuel economy, but it was an interesting find. I think you can probably just add a filter to the max degrees/per second in the tune also. From looking at 2018 to 2020 cals I think they even did this from the factory to assist.

The exhaust is also noticeably louder when running the OP cam timing tables at cruise, you also require slightly more throttle to maintain the same torque/speed.

I think there probably are a lot more other causes for rattles, but in my case this specifically fixed the rattle at 2k light throttle when cold.

Wheat392

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 MT82
I fixed it by permanently enabling "optimum power" cam timing as a test in the tune. It stops the cams swinging so hard (as they no longer go into the best fuel economy retard position). I assume that the extreme swinging causes some slack in the chain/actuator which is what makes it rattle.

The rattle seems to occur at very light throttle when backing on/off. If you change the cam timing to the optimum power angles (about 20 deg differences) there is no rattle at all.

I don't run the car like this all the time as it ruins fuel economy, but it was an interesting find. I think you can probably just add a filter to the max degrees/per second in the tune also. From looking at 2018 to 2020 cals I think they even did this from the factory to assist.

The exhaust is also noticeably louder when running the OP cam timing tables at cruise, you also require slightly more throttle to maintain the same torque/speed.

I think there probably are a lot more other causes for rattles, but in my case this specifically fixed the rattle at 2k light throttle when cold.

What tuner / tuning suite are you using?

Sponsored

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10

Do tell, my friend. This rattle is embarrassing. I heard another person's GT go past me and I immediately thought, "Is this what my car sounds like?"

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
Do tell, my friend. This rattle is embarrassing. I heard another person's GT go past me and I immediately thought, "Is this what my car sounds like?"
Two options. Use a PCMTEC multitune and permamently enable optimal power mode at all times (this will reduce fuel economy).

With a standard tune change the following tables to engage optimal power mode earlier.

Eg at 0.3 load at 15% throttle

1671100368218.png

Wheat392

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 MT82
Two options. Use a PCMTEC multitune and permamently enable optimal power mode at all times (this will reduce fuel economy).

With a standard tune change the following tables to engage optimal power mode earlier.

1671100368218.png
Thank you!!!

Wheat392

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 MT82
2019 GT Manual PP1

I have posted many times on this topic and while I have come to terms with the noise, I still maintain my interest in this topic.

I finally went and did an oil analysis. Have owned the car since new, approaching 40k miles. Oil changes done every 5k using motocraft 5w30 and FL500 filter. The car has rattled since day one. The cylinders show mild scoring on 5 out of 8 . The car uses zero oil. Car runs great. Attached report indicates very low wear and a healthy engine.

One other note, I used Cera Tec once and it made the BBQ tick go away but did nothing for the 2k rattle.

Figured I would pass the info along for anyone it may help. Turn the radio up and floor it.

Oil Results.png

Cylinder 1.JPG

Cylinder 2.JPG

Cylinder 3.JPG

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2

1671100368218.png
how could I get this done for a 2020 gt with a roush supercharger on it because I am ready to pull my hair out over this

Sponsored

Wheat392

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 MT82
If you are tuned by Lund or PBD tell them to talk to PCMTEC and we can go through it with them. They probably already know how to do it also.
how could I get this done for a 2020 gt with a roush supercharger on it because I am ready to pull my hair out over this
Decanes,

If you discuss this with your tuner and have positive results please post!

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
If you are tuned by Lund or PBD tell them to talk to PCMTEC and we can go through it with them. They probably already know how to do it also.
it is a Roush tone in it never done a tune

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Decanes,

If you discuss this with your tuner and have positive results please post!
Guess I need to find a tuner because it just has the Roush tune in it

Drift S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150, 2015 Mustang GT
90k Miles on my F-150 Coyote with the rattle. I bought it used with about 20k on it and never noticed it until I was driving with the radio off one day. That was roughly 3 years ago. I was super concerned about it for a while, but with the costs of new trucks even if this one blows up I can replace the engine at least twice before it'll make sense to buy a new truck. I've driven it like a truck it's made plenty of cross-country towing trips with 7,000 lbs behind it. It burns oil like an old tractor, whether that's from the cylinder scoring or from the engine pulling too much vacuum on decel and pulling oil through the PCV system I don't know. I just check the oil and add it when it needs it these days. Either way, she'll run until she doesn't and when she doesn't well I guess I'll deal with it then. So far the rattle has been more of an annoyance than anything else.
Sponsored