Sponsored

I DON'T have the tick but I have the 2K Rattle

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
One thing I have noticed is that when at full operating temp and starting off from a dead stop with light throttle, the rattle is present from approx 1800 - 2800 rpm. When cruising on the highway at any rpm within that range there is no rattle at all, it would seem that from an idle when the piston starts to accelerate in the bore the slap is the worst but once the piston gets up to speed the slap goes away.
Sponsored

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I have noticed is that when at full operating temp and starting off from a dead stop with light throttle, the rattle is present from approx 1800 - 2800 rpm. When cruising on the highway at any rpm within that range there is no rattle at all, it would seem that from an idle when the piston starts to accelerate in the bore the slap is the worst but once the piston gets up to speed the slap goes away.
Same here. Mine starts as the engine warms up, not there from cold start, but within less than three minutes it appears. If I'm steady on the throttle in the "rattle zone" it nearly goes away, any change to engine load brings it right back, even slight increase/decrease of throttle.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I fired up my car last night from a cold start and let it run for a minute or so then I took off from a dead stop under light load to simulate the 1800 - 2800 rattle, car was silent no rattle at all. I repeated this 3 times and on the fourth try it started to make the rattle and got up to it's normal sound level by the sixth try, so it would appear that on my car when it's dead cold the PTW clearance is not enough to cause any piston slap. As the engine block warms up the bore gets larger and the piston doesn't grow enough to make up the difference and it starts to make the rattle which in my case is confirmed piston slap. As it sits right now there is no significant scuffing or scoring in the bores as indicated from the pic's I posted above, the only way to correct this rattle is to tear the block down and measure the bores and if they are found to be consistent and true then a custom forged piston would need to be installed. A recommendation from the piston manufacturer would be required for the suggested PTW clearance for a forged piston and this PTWA liner, seeing that I'm going FI I would normally set up the PTW clearance at .003 - .0035 with a steel sleeve. However in this situation I don't know the growth rate of the block with this PTWA liner and for that matter not even sure you could get a set of steel rings to seal in this application with this spray liner. The only choice may be to sleeve the block or possibly look into the Livernois option for 6K.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I can hear mine both cold and warm :(

Funny was at the the dealer 3w ago the tech really tried hard not to hear the sounds. But then he admitted hearing it. Got scheduled for a time on last Monday, the manager tagged along I the car and tried hard not to hear it but admitted that he could "hear something". But they won't take the car in again until Fords own technician (only one in Sweden) has a look at it. However that is not going to happen because the same manager reported back that there is nothing wrong with the car.... What the f...... I Received this info on Thursday. Have submitted the videos below, let's see how it goes

Filmed this on my way home on Thursday....
This apart from the bbq tick

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Funny was at the the dealer 3w ago the tech really tried hard not to hear the sounds. But then he admitted hearing it. Got scheduled for a time on last Monday, the manager tagged along I the car and tried hard not to hear it but admitted that he could "hear something". But they won't take the car in again until Fords own technician (only one in Sweden) has a look at it. However that is not going to happen because the same manager reported back that there is nothing wrong with the car.... What the f...... I Received this info on Thursday. Have submitted the videos below, let's see how it goes

Yep, that's it. Mine sounds identical.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
91 octane is the highest we have.
I have access to 93
I've always wondered if the rattle was potentially fuel related. As in compression ratio, variable timing, low rpm 2k rattle, underload ......in my experience the perfect storm for ping.
Any one with the 2k rattle ever try locking out the CMCV plates?

Back in th Old smog era Ford used valves on the exhaust side that rattled.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

WOW that's bad I noticed the car had 12KM how many are on the second motor ? Do you know the production date on the new engine, I would bore scope the cylinders there must be major scuffing with that loud of a piston slap.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have access to 93
I've always wondered if the rattle was potentially fuel related. As in compression ratio, variable timing, low rpm 2k rattle, underload ......in my experience the perfect storm for ping.

When I received the car from the dealer it had 87 octane then I ran that tank out and put in 91 octane no change in rattle. You are correct that all those variables together will set the stage for detonation, however IMO I believe that with today's technology and the use of 4 knock sensors that the timing would be retarded in such an event and prevent detonation. The charge motion plates essentially control air velocity into the cylinders I doubt that would play a factor, but who's I've seen stranger things.

Sponsored

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
WOW that's bad I noticed the car had 12KM how many are on the second motor ? Do you know the production date on the new engine, I would bore scope the cylinders there must be major scuffing with that loud of a piston slap.
EXACTLY how mine sounded.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
In the mornings it is almost embarrassing driving past pedestrians...

I believe around 3000km or so with the new motor. Early July I believe it was produced (can't remember the exact date on top of my head).

At the moment the dealer wont take the car in until this special tech has given his input....

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
They swapped my manifold as the first one really made a bad noise.

When disconnected it sounded way less. So the manifold was swapped. However it is quite evident that it is not solved. Been thinking of disconnecting the IMRC and go for a test run...

I have access to 93

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
In the mornings it is almost embarrassing driving past pedestrians...

I believe around 3000km or so with the new motor. Early July I believe it was produced (can't remember the exact date on top of my head).

At the moment the dealer wont take the car in until this special tech has given his input....
Was it that loud when you picked the car up after getting the new engine ?

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Was it that loud when you picked the car up after getting the new engine ?
I did not hear this as the manifold was messed as well. Once the manifold was swapped I heard this the same minute I drove away from the dealer....
Sponsored