Sponsored

i can’t be the only one who runs regular in a GT right?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The Costco in my area sells Top Tier gas and it is usually 8 to 12 cents a liter cheaper than anywhere else. I filled up there a few times until I figured out that weird smell in my garage was sulphur fumes from the car.
It all comes from the same tank.
Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
That's the detergents cleaning all the crap out of your engine left over from the low grade gas you were using.
All the chain stations in town sell Top Tier, only the off brand stations have something other, so I have always used Top Tier from day one. My point was just because it's Top Tier doesn't make it the best gas, only it has more cleaners.

From my reading gas that has a high sulphur content is poorly refined and is of a lower quality.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
My wife drives a 2016 Hyundai Equus and refuses to put high octane fuel in it. She says the rated 429 hp is plenty, and she's not paying the extra for 93.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
It all comes from the same tank.
https://www.canada.ca/en/environmen...uction/fuel-regulations/sulphur-gasoline.html

I can only speak about Canada. That link will take you to the list of gas suppliers who have applied for an exemption to produce gas with a higher than allowed sulphur content. That list includes every brand of gas in Western Canada, or their supplier. It's similar to car manufactures needing to meet an overall fuel economy rating, each model doesn't need to meet it but the overall average must meet it. Same with gas, as long as their overall production averages out to below the maximum allowed the individual blends can vary.

Last edited:

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Gentlemen, gentlemen…please! Didn’t think I’d start so much drama with my thread 🤣🤣🤣🤣 at least i put 89 in yesterday…..🤣
this is getting crazy. I need to find my safe space...... :cwl:

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I can only speak about Canada.
Here in the US we have main distribution tanks for each area and the approved EPA blend. All the suppliers send the bulk gas to these tanks. Then the tanker driver adds say the shell add pack then fills with the raw gas then heads to the station. When he gets back to the tank he fills with the BP add pack and fills with the raw gas then heads to the BP station.

Costco is the only difference as they have a separate add tank at the station so the tanker driver skips the add pack when delivering to Costco.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You are. Paying upwards of $50,000 on a car and then skimping on a few dollars at each fill-up?

You also paid for 460hp, but you only get <450hp on regular.

Do you like buying stuff and not getting everything you paid for?
Wow, I am only getting 450hp? How will I maintain 80 mph on the freeway getting to work?
Oh yeah, that only takes 20 hp.

If you're not using full throttle at the time, you don't need that extra 10 hp, so why not save 20%?
Go to the track, fill it with premium. And if you ARE using full throttle all the time, on the street, you're an idiot.

And if you aren't going to the track or autocrosses in your sporty car. You are losing out a lot more on paying for a sporty car and never getting full sporting use out it it than if you save money on gas and give up a little power when you don't need it.

Buy Tier 1 gas, at any octane level, and the gas quality issues are mostly resolved. Actually, I bet it is better than off brand premium.

P.S. I have a 2015, which is specifically OK for regular per the manual (so I am limited to 425hp normally, yet I still keep up with traffic fine, and can spin the tires at will in first). I heard that the 2018+ cars bumped the requirement up. Also, if you are running an aftermarket tune that recommend premium (like most do), I wouldn't run less.

P.P.S. I you are really serious about your gas quality, why don't the premium only guys run 100 octane race gas. It's just a measly $12 a gallon. Why skimp?

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
agreed. ford says it can run on 87 no problem, so i lose maybe 20hp? who cares. it’s still 10000x faster than my old 3.7, my 2.7 twin turbo f150, and my 2.7 4 banger tacoma. i’m happy with it.
I agree with you. If you don't need or use the max output of the car, why put more money in gas that you won't need? And yes, the manual clearly says it only requires 87 octane so no big deal. As for performance, yes, when I was breaking in the engine (still is I guess as I only have 2600 miles on it) the 0-60 on regular was 6.0 seconds. When I switched to 92 (we don't have 93 here) after a couple of tankfuls to make sure I purged out all the 87, it ran 4.9 seconds. So clearly there's an increase in performance, but 1.1 seconds on a 0-60 is no big deal when you're merging on freeways, etc. So, yes, saving money on gas if you're not pushing your car to the limits all the time makes absolute sense to me.

BTW, when I used to live in Oregon (decades ago) they also did NOT allow us to pump our own gas. I don't know if things have changed there, but where I live now, we pump our own. The one thing I liked about having it pumped for me is not having to get wet filling gas as it was always raining in Portland.

shawshank22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Ok, so let's say 150 miles a week? That's filling up ever 2 weeks or so. If you save $6 per fillup, you'll be saving a whole $12 a month going 87 vs. 93.

What will you do with all that money? Make it rain quarters at the local titty bar?

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
All the chain stations in town sell Top Tier, only the off brand stations have something other, so I have always used Top Tier from day one. My point was just because it's Top Tier doesn't make it the best gas, only it has more cleaners.

From my reading gas that has a high sulphur content is poorly refined and is of a lower quality.
Yes, bad gas has sulfur that leaves deposits. High detergent gas cleans those deposits off.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
hahaha the brand of fuel is another fun argument that’s going on in another thread right now too lol
intresting subject...i worked on big coastal and nearby foreign gasoline barges for years...the brands blend their formulas from the general base stock ,"cleaning agents and product enhanchers"is what makes them different ...i've loaded at major"brand oil companies"..and took that 87 to another "brand" company(baytown,tx to corpus,tx)ingredients can be blended at the truck/rail loading facility also...so,same base stock(87)

joe007

Joe007
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Our GT 5.0 COYOTE. Motors have a 12 to 1 compression ratio. And you want to run 87 octane its your motor our motors need all the octane at the pump. When you hurt your motor from detenation.
Its your money. I put only top tier gas in my gt.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Our GT 5.0 COYOTE. Motors have a 12 to 1 compression ratio. And you want to run 87 octane its your motor our motors need all the octane at the pump. When you hurt your motor from detenation.
Its your money. I put only top tier gas in my gt.
Hello; I agree that you get to choose to run 89,91, or 93. However Ford allows for using 87 so the word need is not correct. If the engines did need higher than 87 there would be a message saying that is required is my understanding.
Sponsored