Sponsored

i can’t be the only one who runs regular in a GT right?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Our GT 5.0 COYOTE. Motors have a 12 to 1 compression ratio. And you want to run 87 octane its your motor our motors need all the octane at the pump. When you hurt your motor from detenation.
Its your money. I put only top tier gas in my gt.
Do you know that top tier has nothing to do with octane? If a station's 9x octane is labeled top tier, so is the 87.
Sponsored

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
Our GT 5.0 COYOTE. Motors have a 12 to 1 compression ratio. And you want to run 87 octane its your motor our motors need all the octane at the pump. When you hurt your motor from detenation.
Highly doubt anything bad will happen, seeing as ford itself says 87 is perfectly fine.

hockale1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Nah, I fill with regular 87 all the time. I went through the premium fuel cal phase for a while and realized how much cash I was blowing just to say I was making 20 more horsepower at 7000rpm. It’s silly and wasteful.

For a track day? Yeah sure, reflash a week earlier on an empty tank and refill again before the weekend. It’s a waste of money otherwise imo.

hockale1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I believe the owners manual says 87 is fine for a GT...your car, your cash, your decision! 😀
I've only been putting in BP 93 octane.....please don't judge me :crackup:
Tell me then, wise old man, how did Ford get that car out the door with an octane-flexible cal that doesn’t make it past durability testing? Do you think the engineers just toss some random numbers in a table and hope it holds together on a car that will undoubtedly be beat on within an inch of its life? Do you think product development is just pixies and fairy dust? Ooof.

hockale1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
😂
Boy you silly, get outta here with that.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Tell me then, wise old man, how did Ford get that car out the door with an octane-flexible cal that doesn’t make it past durability testing? Do you think the engineers just toss some random numbers in a table and hope it holds together on a car that will undoubtedly be beat on within an inch of its life? Do you think product development is just pixies and fairy dust? Ooof.
Correct. However, bet me that those the only use 87 are also using the cheapest oil as well. Haha.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Correct. However, bet me that those the only use 87 are also using the cheapest oil as well. Haha.
You are asserting that the individuals who are making a wise decision respecting which octane fuel to use on the street would make an unwise decision regarding which oil to use, which is illogical.
It also begs the question: What kind of oil do you use, Wilde Horse?
:wink:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
However, bet me that those the only use 87 are also using the cheapest oil as well.
As long as the oil meets specs it's all good.

hockale1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
You are asserting that the individuals who are making a wise decision respecting which octane fuel to use on the street would make an unwise decision regarding which oil to use, which is illogical.
It also begs the question: What kind of oil do you use, Wilde Horse?
:wink:
^ looks like critical thinking and the ability to process more than one variable is lost on this one.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Takeshi

Threads
Reaction score
United States : Cali land of the $1 Gas Tax
First Name
Alias: Takeshi
Vehicle(s)
2019 Liquid Shadow 401A PP1 MagneRide Borla ATAK
Highly doubt anything bad will happen, seeing as ford itself says 87 is perfectly fine.
With Gas in California Breaking 5.XX and 4.7X at Costco Premium just ain't worth it. I'll switch back when premium is under 4.44 :wink:.
87 is just fine with the COPS and occasional atmosphere stream. You don't need all 460 Horses when you getting followed by the police and the streets are flooded.

BULLITT480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in everything I own with a engine.
I am also using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, 5W 30 and Shell 93 only. The premium fuels also have more detergents to clean injectors, valves, etc.

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Car and Driver did a test within the last 2-3 years (?) on cars that could run on lower octane fuel and the performance gains by using premium were minimal. I had a Focus ST that required premium and, of course, I always used premium in it. If there are no timing clocks involved in what I'm doing, I don't feel the need to spend the money on premium, if the car doesn't require it. I do try to buy Top Tier for the added detergent, when possible.