Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
So apparently the 18 GT I bought still has stock everything. The clutch pedal feels really soft. So much so that I’ve stalled it already once and I feel like an armature.

My GTO has a Monster stage 2 with and upgraded Tick master and a doorman slave with steel braided lines on both. It’s much stiffer. So the bite points are very easy to distinguish. Not so much with the Mustang.

What steps can be taken to stiffen the clutch pedal up. That way I cam take care of it once it’s time to do the new clutch.
TIA
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Steeds clutch spring helps a little. On my car the feed line for the clutch master was leaking, replacing that made a huge difference in clutch feel and control as well.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
Steeds clutch spring helps a little. On my car the feed line for the clutch master was leaking, replacing that made a huge difference in clutch feel and control as well.
I’ll start with fluid levels and line then. Thanks for that bit of info.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
As Ice445 mentions the Steeda spring will do it.

The Ford spring has an odd compression rate full cycle. The Steeda compression rate is more consistent throughout the cycle.

Well worth the small investment, and time.

Had the same problem at first, (not stalling) hard to drive the car smoothly.
Thought I could get used to it after 100 miles, opted for the spring replacement.

Check out this clip, a reasoned explanation of the problem.

And no I do not sell clutch springs...

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
As Ice445 mentions the Steeda spring will do it.

The Ford spring has an odd compression rate full cycle. The Steeda compression rate is more consistent throughout the cycle.

Well worth the small investment, and time.

Had the same problem at first, (not stalling) hard to drive the car smoothly.
Thought I could get used to it after 100 miles, opted for the spring replacement.

Check out this clip, a reasoned explanation of the problem.

And no I do not sell clutch springs...
Great video I’m gonna grab that spring and I’m gonna grab a braided line for the master. That should help with stiffening up that clutch. Thanks for taking time to post that up.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Great video I’m gonna grab that spring and I’m gonna grab a braided line for the master. That should help with stiffening up that clutch. Thanks for taking time to post that up.
Check out the feed line from the master reservoir as well, if there's yellow goo accumulated under it, replace it

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
There is a spring with spring rate between Steeda 555-7022 and stock.
McMaster-Carr 9657K573 (Steeda 555-7023 could be the same.)

Maybe order both Steeda springs and give them a try.

My choice is McMaster-Carr.
The JM Products 21500 clutch line is waiting to get installed: https://hotpart.com/product/jm-prod...-steel-clutch-hose-for-2015-present-mustangs/
Gonna do the springs for sure that line looks good. I was looking at the Steeda line but this looks really solid. Braided with metal tubing. Definitely looks like a win and for $14 extra it’s not bad.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
It is a clone of the M-7512-B clutch line sold by Ford Performance (supplied by Watson Racing, seems to be discontinued).

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I just looked for how to replace the master on these cars. Yeah Ford has made it a huge PIA to do it. Literally you have to remove the seat and break/clutch pedals wiring pins to remove it. I like working on my cars. If it ever needs one it’s going to be painful 😂

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
That’s the master literally inside the cabin. Why? 😞
84CD1F03-1B3F-4F04-9C39-B5D23E10D25A.jpeg

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
It also would help changing from the stock clutch itself. Bone stock they are pretty awful in terms of predictability and feel. Im changing mine out for a Exedy Mach 500 here soon. A couple of my buddies' cars have aftermarket units and it's amazing how much better theirs feel, especially when downshifting and starting from a full stop.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
It also would help changing from the stock clutch itself. Bone stock they are pretty awful in terms of predictability and feel. Im changing mine out for a Exedy Mach 500 here soon. A couple of my buddies' cars have aftermarket units and it's amazing how much better theirs feel, especially when downshifting and starting from a full stop.
I thought as much. The pressure plate for stockers regardless of make are shitty for pressure. Also a better slave also helps with feels. Especially with bigger gauge braided lines. And a bleeder line which is always a must. This is what I put on my t56 for the GTO when I was putting the trans back on. It’s a doorman piece braided lines all in all a great piece of equipment.
5D7C7073-94F3-4741-90BA-BA216A6C692F.jpeg
Sponsored