How thin is too thin?

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Soooo, I have been dilligently researching paint (specifically clear coat) thickness the last few days since I got myself a coating thickness guage. I was messing around and did some readings on both my cars and found my Mustang is pretty thin but my 2022 Mazda CX5, Holy Cow, the paint is wicked thin on that car. I did some googling and found tons of complaints of how thin Mazda paint is, but none even comes close to how thin mine is. I've got my guage set on Microns and calibrated using the included shims and it is spot on. My Mustang averages around 70 Microns which is thin but not dangerous, but my Mazda measures sub 40 microns all over, even below 30 on the roof. The car is 2 years old, sits outside 24/7 and has over 75K miles at this point. I wash regularly and even put a 12 month ceramic on it last summer (Gyeon CanCoat). I was planning on doing a light polish later in the spring and putting a more durable ceramic on it but I am a little gun shy to even lay polisher on the paint at this point. Anybody else have experience with newer Mazda paint?
Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Soooo, I have been dilligently researching paint (specifically clear coat) thickness the last few days since I got myself a coating thickness guage. I was messing around and did some readings on both my cars and found my Mustang is pretty thin but my 2022 Mazda CX5, Holy Cow, the paint is wicked thin on that car. I did some googling and found tons of complaints of how thin Mazda paint is, but none even comes close to how thin mine is. I've got my guage set on Microns and calibrated using the included shims and it is spot on. My Mustang averages around 70 Microns which is thin but not dangerous, but my Mazda measures sub 40 microns all over, even below 30 on the roof. The car is 2 years old, sits outside 24/7 and has over 75K miles at this point. I wash regularly and even put a 12 month ceramic on it last summer (Gyeon CanCoat). I was planning on doing a light polish later in the spring and putting a more durable ceramic on it but I am a little gun shy to even lay polisher on the paint at this point. Anybody else have experience with newer Mazda paint?
Try this website

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
We had a new Miata a few years ago and you aren’t kidding about the thin paint. Personally I don’t think polishing would be wise to do when the paint is that thin but maybe someone would say otherwise. If anything, perhaps a wrap or paint protection film on the front would help.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Anybody else have experience with newer Mazda paint?
I do not, Alex, but I have used a thickness gauge on my vehicles ('20 500, CT6, F250,) and as I recall, they were all around 90-100. Plus, as I understand how the gizmo works, it's measuring the depth of ALL the layers of paint to include primer, color coat, and clear.

So, when I first got the thing, I tested to see how much clear is removed with standard, machine polishing, and if memory serves, the deepest cut I saw was about 5µm.

Assuming those numbers are relatively accurate, I'd say you still have more than enough clear left for another polishing session as long as you don't have any deep scratches to remove. Just keep the gizmo handy and check how much is being removed as you go, I think you'll be fine.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I do not, Alex, but I have used a thickness gauge on my vehicles ('20 500, CT6, F250,) and as I recall, they were all around 90-100. Plus, as I understand how the gizmo works, it's measuring the depth of ALL the layers of paint to include primer, color coat, and clear.

So, when I first got the thing, I tested to see how much clear is removed with standard, machine polishing, and if memory serves, the deepest cut I saw was about 5µm.

Assuming those numbers are relatively accurate, I'd say you still have more than enough clear left for another polishing session as long as you don't have any deep scratches to remove. Just keep the gizmo handy and check how much is being removed as you go, I think you'll be fine.
My plan is to do a simple paint enhancement, a light, very light once over to improve the gloss a little and make the coating stick well. Nothing more, it's a daily driver so perfection isn't what I will go after for sure..

Sponsored

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
We had a new Miata a few years ago and you aren’t kidding about the thin paint. Personally I don’t think polishing would be wise to do when the paint is that thin but maybe someone would say otherwise. If anything, perhaps a wrap or paint protection film on the front would help.
Only planning on a very light micro polish just to improve gloss and make the coating stick well. Might even use a primer polish (CarPro Essence, Gyeon Q2 Primer). Perfection is a lost cause at this point, it being a high mileage daily driver I just want to make it look a little better and lay down some good protection... It still looks decent to have 75K miles in 2 years :)

IMG_0238.jpeg

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I actually belong to this site, however I rarely to never go there because my Mazda is simply an appliance to get from A to B. Now my Mustang is a whole different ball game :) I will have to browse and see if I get some info there, I have seen tons of complaints on a google search regarding thin paint...

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Only planning on a very light micro polish just to improve gloss and make the coating stick well. Might even use a primer polish (CarPro Essence, Gyeon Q2 Primer). Perfection is a lost cause at this point, it being a high mileage daily driver I just want to make it look a little better and lay down some good protection... It still looks decent to have 75K miles in 2 years :)

IMG_0238.jpeg
Handsome SUV. I really like these CX5 models. Would have one myself if I needed an SUV. Stylish, comfortable, reasonably priced and so far have proven themselves to be reliable over time. I wouldn't worry too much about the paint thinness. You know what you are doing. As long as it is shiny and UV protected you will be good. Nothing will prevent rock chips from happening except paint protection film.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

IMG_0238.jpeg
I think you are on the right track using a primer polish. Having used both Gyeon Primer and Carpro Essence, I would favor Essence as I find it more forgiving, it will also play with Gyeon Can Coat. The other benefit with these products is that they also fill and mask minor imperfections, which the ceramic coating then locks in, meaning you don't have to chase scratches as much.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I think you are on the right track using a primer polish. Having used both Gyeon Primer and Carpro Essence, I would favor Essence as I find it more forgiving, it will also play with Gyeon Can Coat. The other benefit with these products is that they also fill and mask minor imperfections, which the ceramic coating then locks in, meaning you don't have to chase scratches as much.
Looking forward to it but was a little nervous when I saw how thin the paint is. Was going to use KCX M3.02 and matching pad but not so sure now. Then coat with NV Nova Evo...

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Looking forward to it but was a little nervous when I saw how thin the paint is. Was going to use KCX M3.02 and matching pad but not so sure now. Then coat with NV Nova Evo...
Is that Polymetal Grey or Eternal Blue? Having polished an Eternal Blue CX-5, I only needed to use the very mild Carpro Reflex to it sorted. So, using the even milder Essence should be quite safe.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Is that Polymetal Grey or Eternal Blue? Having polished an Eternal Blue CX-5, I only needed to use the very mild Carpro Reflex to it sorted. So, using the even milder Essence should be quite safe.
It's Polymetal Grey. Only color offered in the Carbon edition :) They sold tons of them around here, very common. I would love another color but I do like this one really well other than the black wheels, I have grown tired of the black wheel fad. And they are a pain to keep clean and scratch if you look at them funny... And yes it has gotten pretty swirled, all my fault as I took thru an automated tunnel wash a few times right after I got it :( If I had known how thin the paint is, I would have done much differently.

Now my dilemma is what pad to use? I have both the KCx fine pad to go with the M03.02 as well as Rupes to go with Uno Pure. I also have a few of the older Hex Logic foam pads in all varieties, not sure how that will work. Ah the rabbit hole deepens LOL :)

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It's Polymetal Grey. Only color offered in the Carbon edition :) They sold tons of them around here, very common. I would love another color but I do like this one really well other than the black wheels, I have grown tired of the black wheel fad. And they are a pain to keep clean and scratch if you look at them funny... And yes it has gotten pretty swirled, all my fault as I took thru an automated tunnel wash a few times right after I got it :( If I had known how thin the paint is, I would have done much differently.

Now my dilemma is what pad to use? I have both the KCx fine pad to go with the M03.02 as well as Rupes to go with Uno Pure. I also have a few of the older Hex Logic foam pads in all varieties, not sure how that will work. Ah the rabbit hole deepens LOL :)
Rupes white or yellow foam should do it.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)

DFB5.0

Threads