Sponsored

How long will the 2015 MY run?

Beastie

Threads
Reaction score
Let me first say that I understand that "TBD" is the answer to this but I am looking for any good educated guesses as to how long you think the 2015 Mustang model year will run given that we will likely not see any on the road until October and close to winter.

Does the 2015 MY get shortened and switch over next Spring or will it continue with this current May (orders), mid-August (production), and Fall (deliveries) cycle?

This is relevant for those like myself who are deciding whether to wait for the model year switch over for issues to be ironed out and any potential improvements/features to be added for '16MY.
Sponsored

Callie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT Convertible
Good question but it is anyone's guess at this point. I recall the 2005 began around this time period but eventually settled on the Spring cycle. I do not remember when or how that happened though.

Either way I doubt much gets added in 16 but I understand your point about ironing out issues next MY. Maybe we start seeing some '16 mules soon... :lol:

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Yeah that is a good question. As hard as it is to wait, I too have decided to wait for a '16 to make sure some of the potential bugs are ironed out.

Chris22888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 400a guard 50th appearance
The "Rumor" or fear is going to amplify if we start to see a delay in production or keep seeing ford push off giving us numbers the conspiracy theories and haters will start coming out in bulk. I really have hope that ford got this new model right on the first try knowing how special it is to mustang/car lovers.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
When Ford switched Mustang production to the Flat Rock Ass'y Plant (FRAP) for the 2005 MY, the model year switchover had to coincide with the jointly owned plant's other products and line up with summer vacation schedules that also serve as switchover timing. This means June or July switchovers typically. I trust the 2015/2016 switchover will be in that same timeframe, as well next year.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Beastie

Threads
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. Might be a stupid question but by switchover in June/July I assume you are talking about retooling for next model year production? I thought the current S197 production cycle is timed for deliveries in late summer?

If Job 1 for the 2015 is currently at August 11, why are we all thinking October before we see it on the lots? Also if your guess of June/July switchover is accurate, when would orders begin for model year 2016? Using the usual ~3 month lead time I am thinking around same time as 2015 -- in May?

Apologies if these questions are old news for people here. It has been a while since I looked into buying a new car, much less a Mustang.

HTownStang

That would make for a slightly shortened 15 model year if true, from the sound of it. I hope so because it would be a huge mistake if they kept with this cycle of end of the year availability. They might not notice it in sales this year since a new design will sell on its own but a few years into the S550, more and more people will hold out (or look elsewhere) if they can't buy a new MY without having to put it in the garage a few weeks later.

As for bugs being fixed, yes that happens even without new model year switch over. Job 1/Job 2/ etc can even iron out some problems if it is easily fixed.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Thanks Brian. Might be a stupid question but by switchover in June/July I assume you are talking about retooling for next model year production? I thought the current S197 production cycle is timed for deliveries in late summer?

If Job 1 for the 2015 is currently at August 11, why are we all thinking October before we see it on the lots? Also if your guess of June/July switchover is accurate, when would orders begin for model year 2016? Using the usual ~3 month lead time I am thinking around same time as 2015 -- in May?
Ford always holds a big batch of early production of all-new cars for quality control to inspect them thoroughly for a few weeks before giving the okay to ship. Also, production goes much slower until Ford can ramp up the assembly line speed. This is an all-new car, so the people assembling them can't just make them at full speed right away.

Production starts August 11th. Figure the first several thousand '15's will be held up for 4-6 weeks for QC putting the initial shipments leaving the factory in mid to late September. IMO, it'll be early October before any hit dealer lots.

I've worked at a Ford dealership for 15 years and do all of our ordering. This is completely normal with every new roll out, and I expect the Mustang will follow this same process. If they get released early, you might see some show up in September, but October is really more realistic.

Now, in subsequent model years of the S550, new model years will roll out in mid to late summer, like normal, and to your point.

Somms

I could be wrong but I'm thinking the 15 will not have a ton of bugs. The engines are basically carry over, even the 4 cylinder not totally untested. The transmission is pretty much carried over too. I guess issues could be from the suspension and totally new chassis but really those are two major areas that issues tend to creep up. I don't see a lot of benefit waiting for 2016, maybe just a few production stages out into the 2015 is fine. Just to see if anything blows up lol.

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
Ford always holds a big batch of early production of all-new cars for quality control to inspect them thoroughly for a few weeks ... Figure the first several thousand '15's will be held up for 4-6 weeks for QC.. .
Does anyone have any experience with Ford's QC process? Does this mean that the QC cars will be tested and have miles on them once they are shipped?

Sponsored

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
Does anyone have any experience with Ford's QC process? Does this mean that the QC cars will be tested and have miles on them once they are shipped?
Yes they will have Miles On Them and Documentation saying that the car was Randomly Selected for Quality Control Testing. My c Mom's 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe was a Chosen fir Quality Control Testing.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
That is frickin' lame. I custom ordered so that NO-ONE could drive the damn thing except for loading/unloading and I can break in the engine properly myself. I will refuse delivery if it's got miles on it. Period.

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
That is frickin' lame. I custom ordered so that NO-ONE could drive the damn thing except for loading/unloading and I can break in the engine properly myself. I will refuse delivery if it's got miles on it. Period.
Down, Dog, easy boy. As to Brian's point, a dealer told me that they make thousands for dealer lots before they even start making custom orders. I have to think they only test the ones that aren't custom ordered, and even then I'd hope the customer would get some sort of discount on the car.

deeps29

Bizarre Edition!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Down, Dog, easy boy. As to Brian's point, a dealer told me that they make thousands for dealer lots before they even start making custom orders. I have to think they only test the ones that aren't custom ordered, and even then I'd hope the customer would get some sort of discount on the car.
That's true. I saw similar car at a dealership once which had about 1400 miles as a result of randomly selected testing and there was a discount of $3000 on that car from company itself.

Shredicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3
I'm happy the Ford qc standards are so rigid. :)
Sponsored