Sponsored

How bad does a dark color really look if you don't wash it?

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
OP, don't ignore a black Mustang. its just not a good idea. Especially living as close as you do to a massive body of salt water.

Part of the joy of ownership, in my personal opinion, is taking care of her inside and out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
peetucket

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Thanks for the discussion and photos folks. I do care about the car looking nice, but not enough to wash/detail it regularly in my driveway. Would rather be driving it, spending time with the family, etc. But I do like the darker colors better than the lighter colors, and would probably enjoy a dirtier looking guard than a cleaner looking white!

I'm also lucky in not having to deal with snow/road salt/etc. round here (near San Francisco). Used to live on Cape Cod, and I washed my car more often there just to keep it from being eaten away. Not really a problem around here thankfully.

Last edited:

Horse Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicorn
Um...you're seriously comparing cloth to paint?

A white car is not going to visibly show any 'water drops/dust/salt/sea air' coating on their car compared to what a darker color car is going to show.

If we're talking mud, then obviously it doesn't matter the car.

For everyday stuff minus the caked on stuff, a lighter color is the way to go.
Do buildings painted a dark color appear dirtier than those painted white?

:doh:

Does a bicycle painted a dark color appear dirtier than one painted white?

Does a train car painted a dark color appear cleaner than those painted white?

Does the sea air make the dark "International Orange" paint on the Golden Gate Bridge look dirtier than bridges painted a light color?

FusionGT

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP / Jeep TJ

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Do buildings painted a dark color appear dirtier than those painted white?

Does a bicycle painted a dark color appear dirtier than one painted white?

Does a train car painted a dark color appear cleaner than those painted white?

Does the sea air make the dark "International Orange" paint on the Golden Gate Bridge look dirtier than bridges painted a light color?

Yes to all

Sponsored

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Honestly I've never had a car before that I cared about keeping clean. It's driving me crazy when I get her all shined up and then then next day there is a fine coat of dust/pollen on it. I don't know if it is as bad as black, but I bet the Ruby Red is worse at showing the dirt than Magnetic. The wide highly visible hood is both a blessing and a curse... the dust looks like shit from the low angle view from the driver seat, and then I get out and look at it from the outside and it looks clean. So far I haven't been able to go a full week without washing it, or at least getting the dust off with the detail spray and a microfiber. I'm sure my stamina for this won't last forever, but damn it sure looks sweet when its clean and shiny. I still wouldn't change to a different color if I had the chance... Love it, just got to take care of it.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Honestly I've never had a car before that I cared about keeping clean. It's driving me crazy when I get her all shined up and then then next day there is a fine coat of dust/pollen on it. I don't know if it is as bad as black, but I bet the Ruby Red is worse at showing the dirt than Magnetic. The wide highly visible hood is both a blessing and a curse... the dust looks like shit from the low angle view from the driver seat, and then I get out and look at it from the outside and it looks clean. So far I haven't been able to go a full week without washing it, or at least getting the dust off with the detail spray and a microfiber. I'm sure my stamina for this won't last forever, but damn it sure looks sweet when its clean and shiny. I still wouldn't change to a different color if I had the chance... Love it, just got to take care of it.
Get one of these. It will become you new best friend. Works absolutely great for dust just and only takes a minute.

http://www.amazon.com/California-Ca...=1424732269&sr=8-1&keywords=california+duster

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
We've kept our cars an average of 18 years, with a minimum of 9 and change. I strongly doubt that any of them was ever washed, on average, more than about once every 6 or 8 weeks. To be fair, I did repaint the one car that we had for 33 years about midway through its life.
That's nuts! Do you live in the rust belt?

Sponsored

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
What waterless car wash brands do you guys recommend? I'd rather do that then do the coin op spray place.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424733571.139963.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't care about the dirt. I like black so that's what I have. Sometimes it's dirty. Oh well. It doesn't stress me out. I don't care if it shows scratches more. I still like it better than any other color, so that's what I have.

michformulas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium
I live in the middle of Michigan and can't remember the last time I saw a 1994 or newer style mustang with any significant rust. I drive mine every day. Once or twice a week through the auto wash and it is black. Same with my wife's black SUV. Yes they get dirty but a good polish in the spring and they will look very good again.
I bought a 2002 Mineral Grey GT new and traded in with 15,000 miles. Never would consider driving it in the winter and obsessed over every rock chip.
Insurance was killing me so I got a 2001 used GT vert in about 2005. I only drove in the summer and never let get dirty. Sold it for a little less than I paid for it 2 years later.
2011 Challenger RT black new. I never drove in the winter and obsessed over keeping it clean. I freaked out when I heard a rock hit it on the freeway. Dirt/dust would only be met with a hand wash. Traded it in on a Jeep when I realized I wouldn't even consider parking it at a Walmart. Too high maintenance.
No more....I am enjoying the heck out of this black GT all year long (traded in the Jeep). Even parked it at the airport for a week last week. Never worried about it and it was just fine when I got back.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I don't care about the dirt. I like black so that's what I have. Sometimes it's dirty. Oh well. It doesn't stress me out. I don't care if it shows scratches more. I still like it better than any other color, so that's what I have.

Amen.:cool:
Sponsored