Sponsored

How bad does a dark color really look if you don't wash it?

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Why buy one in a color that it will not look good when dirty? Ingot Silver and Oxford White can be your friend...
Conversely, light colors show every little seam and panel gap -- you look at a white car, no matter how flawless it's finished, and you can see black seams where the doors meat the fenders, and where they meet the rear quarterpanels, and where the hood meets the fenders, etc. You just see these dark black lines that stand out on the white car all over it... that bugs me way more than a little dirt.
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Conversely, light colors show every little seam and panel gap -- you look at a white car, no matter how flawless it's finished, and you can see black seams where the doors meat the fenders, and where they meet the rear quarterpanels, and where the hood meets the fenders, etc. You just see these dark black lines that stand out on the white car all over it... that bugs me way more than a little dirt.
I get what you are saying, but I can easily see the door/fender gaps/seams on the picture you posted of your car - even with the 20lbs of salt and dirt on it.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
If you know you're not going to wash it, just go with company car white.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Try an experiment - alternate wearing a pair of white underwear one day and a pair of black ones the next without washing either. After a month, turn each inside-out and see which one "shows the dirt" more.
Um...you're seriously comparing cloth to paint?

A white car is not going to visibly show any 'water drops/dust/salt/sea air' coating on their car compared to what a darker color car is going to show.

If we're talking mud, then obviously it doesn't matter the car.

For everyday stuff minus the caked on stuff, a lighter color is the way to go.

Scorpion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium PP Silver

Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Here in the NYC area every color currently looks like shit. But if you're buying a s550 you owe it to yourself to keep it clean regardless of color!

AndreG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Here in the NYC area every color currently looks like shit. But if you're buying a s550 you owe it to yourself to keep it clean regardless of color!
Really? It's a car, not a girlfriend. I plan on washing it as often as I wash my other cars, once or twice a year.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
See here for my car nine days after its most recent wash:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=463015&postcount=52

That's just ridiculous! I lived in NY through 24 winters of salt, sand, and snow and my cars never looked this disgusting and I parked outside. This is pure laziness. I would swear with some of your nonsense posts and advice that you're trolling, sadly you're not. I seriously feel sorry for anyone that buys your used car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Really? It's a car, not a girlfriend. I plan on washing it as often as I wash my other cars, once or twice a year.

That's why according to your profile you drive a Mazda. I take care of my things, I like nice things and I like to keep them nice. I take spending my hard earned cash seriously and spending $25 on a hand wash is not much to spend compared to the price of a car.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Well for me it's weird buying a brand new car and not taking care of it. Paint is important imo. Unless you plan on getting rid of it sooner rather than later.

Sponsored

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Well for me it's weird buying a brand new car and not taking care of it. Paint is important imo. Unless you plan on getting rid of it sooner rather than later.

Seriously, I couldn't agree with you more! I don't understand the lack of care for a car, it really makes me sad when I see a nice car not maintained.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
That's why according to your profile you drive a Mazda. I take care of my things, I like nice things and I like to keep them nice. I take spending my hard earned cash seriously and spending $25 on a hand wash is not much to spend compared to the price of a car.

You spend $25 every time you wash your car? During a particularly sloppy month, at $25 a pop, that would be getting close to a monthly car payment.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
You spend $25 every time you wash your car? During a particularly sloppy month, at $25 a pop, that would be getting close to a monthly car payment.
I usually try to go at least two weeks between hand washes, that's about as long as it takes for the salt spray to drive me nuts. of course they also wash the bottom of the car. But $50/month doesn't even register when the truck I used to drive was $75/week in gas alone. not to mention this is only from December-april, and not year round.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe

No, I don't spend $25 every time I wash my car. I live in FL and can wash mine myself with a waterless wash and wax spray every couple of days and I do. Give me a break there are plenty of touch less car washes you can run your car through for between $5 and $10 in the winter to remove this crap from your car, nothing ruins a car's paint faster than salt and sand covering it, not to mention the damage it does to the undercarriage eating away at it. If you're that strapped for cash that you can't afford to maintain it then you probably can't afford to drive a new car.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Just saw this on the WP and thought it's appropriate for this discussion thread.

Worse than salt, brine sprayed on roads will munch your car to pieces

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...949-11e4-aa05-1ce812b3fdd2_story.html?hpid=z3

Also want to give some experience with undersprays and cold temps.

Had my explorer out 2 years ago and went through one to get the brine/salt off my car and got the undercarriage spray.

Next day my Explorer had an O2 sensor issue. Found out the under spray had damaged the O2 sensor from the pressure and also the cold.

But the bigger issue was the cracked manifold. The tech said that most likely the spray got areas usually that aren't that wet, pretty wet and in the extreme cold and extreme heat with it wet, it cracked the manifold.

So take care with these undersprays..they can wreck havoc on your car's engine internals since they aren't subjected to those types of pressures on their wires, hoses, etc.
Sponsored