Sponsored

How bad does a dark color really look if you don't wash it?

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
No, I don't spend $25 every time I wash my car. I live in FL and can wash mine myself with a waterless wash and wax spray every couple of days and I do. Give me a break there are plenty of touch less car washes you can run your car through for between $5 and $10 in the winter to remove this crap from your car, nothing ruins a car's paint faster than salt and sand covering it, not to mention the damage it does to the undercarriage eating away at it. If you're that strapped for cash that you can't afford to maintain it then you probably can't afford to drive a new car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow. Look at you go. A simple 'no' would have sufficed.
Sponsored

AndreG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Hmm? I don't wash my car often so that's why I drive a Mazda? Sober up, then we'll talk, because you're making zero sense.

I have a 2015 GT/PP on order, and like I said, that will get washed as much as I want, which is probably very little.

Anyone can wash their car as much as they want. I don't owe myself to wash mine everyday because its a Mustang, that's just crazy talk.

My Mustang is a tool, not a prized collectors car. I bought it with my own money, I do what I want with it.

edit: for the record I wash it little because in the summer it stays clean and in the winter I don't have a nice cozy warm garage at the moment to spend some quality time with my precious automobile. I don't trust automatic washers and I don't know of where to go to pay for a hand wash. Go judge someone else , thanks

That's why according to your profile you drive a Mazda. I take care of my things, I like nice things and I like to keep them nice. I take spending my hard earned cash seriously and spending $25 on a hand wash is not much to spend compared to the price of a car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Yeah definitely your right. Just strange to me to not try maintaining the exterior. Part of the car to me at least is the sexiness which is diminished when it isn't clean. :)

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Hmm? I don't wash my car often so that's why I drive a Mazda? Sober up, then we'll talk, because you're making zero sense.

I have a 2015 GT/PP on order, and like I said, that will get washed as much as I want, which is probably very little.

Anyone can wash their car as much as they want. I don't owe myself to wash mine everyday because its a Mustang, that's just crazy talk.

My Mustang is a tool, not a prized collectors car. I bought it with my own money, I do what I want with it.

edit: for the record I wash it little because in the summer it stays clean and in the winter I don't have a nice cozy warm garage at the moment to spend some quality time with my precious automobile. I don't trust automatic washers and I don't know of where to go to pay for a hand wash. Go judge someone else , thanks
Not drunk or crazy but thanks. Of course it's completely different if you have a nice and cozy garage to store it in. I'm really not a fan of automatic washers either but I'm less of a fan of salt grime covering my car. I have seen the damage harsh winters can do to a car when they aren't maintained. I've seen an entire exhaust fall of a car going over a speed bump because it was completely rotted and rusted from that damn salt.

Everyone has the right to treat their car how they want but I don't understand the lack of care for cars that I see everywhere. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

AndreG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I accept the fact cars here will generally rot. I do what I can but I don't kill myself over it. I treat all my cars equally, always have, just because it's a Mustang that won't change. I make sure all the maintenance is up to date, my interior is clean and in great shape, etc...

Also, I drive all my cars all year round, including my former Spec Miata... I make sure I am getting my moneys worth with them :)

Not drunk or crazy but thanks. Of course it's completely different if you have a nice and cozy garage to store it in. I'm really not a fan of automatic washers either but I'm less of a fan of salt grime covering my car. I have seen the damage harsh winters can do to a car when they aren't maintained. I've seen an entire exhaust fall of a car going over a speed bump because it was completely rotted and rusted from that damn salt.

Everyone has the right to treat their car how they want but I don't understand the lack of care for cars that I see everywhere. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

JessV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Auto
Really? It's a car, not a girlfriend. I plan on washing it as often as I wash my other cars, once or twice a year.
Hold on there, man. There are some of us here (like myself) that treat our cars like our girlfriends. :D

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Forget the color...buy a Camaro. no one ever notices them so you won't have a problem :)QUOTE]

Dark colored cars look awesome, even Camaros:D, but get dirty quickly.

Even my Escalade is black. That's a full day to detail..

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Hold on there, man. There are some of us here (like myself) that treat our cars like our girlfriends. :D
The correct answer was "You like to wash your GF every day" :D

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Really it depends on how anal you are about it. If you are hell bent on having a perfectly shiny car all year around then it will drive you crazy and you will hate having a dark car. If you are like me you will believe that even dirty a car in DIB looks better than a clean white or silver one. This is not to bash white and silver because they are nice and I can see liking them but certain other colors have more upside depending on your taste.

My advice is ask yourself what type of person you are and you will have your answer.

Chris

Sponsored

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
What waterless car wash brands do you guys recommend? I'd rather do that then do the coin op spray place.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Well for me it's weird buying a brand new car and not taking care of it. Paint is important imo. Unless you plan on getting rid of it sooner rather than later.
We've kept our cars an average of 18 years, with a minimum of 9 and change. I strongly doubt that any of them was ever washed, on average, more than about once every 6 or 8 weeks. To be fair, I did repaint the one car that we had for 33 years about midway through its life.

Seriously, I couldn't agree with you more! I don't understand the lack of care for a car, it really makes me sad when I see a nice car not maintained.
Honestly, I've found detailing beyond a quick wash in the driveway to be among the least satisfying things I could be doing with my time, and running it through a commercial car wash ain't gonna happen. And since it's only 27° outside my house at the moment, none of the cars are getting a bath today. Call me lazy, but I spent over an hour yesterday scraping natures own ice off the driveway and I'm not about to get sucked into doing that again today.

For me, the pleasure is in the driving and in the modification tasks that make the driving more fun for me.

FWIW, this is about the dirtiest angle I could find of my '08 GT as it sits right now. We've had a little snow, some freeezing rain, and I threw a little more at the paint having a little fun in a deserted and snow-covered parking lot yesterday afternoon. I think the last time it was washed might have been December 26 (the day before my last track day). It's 7 years old, and it'll clean up just fine once I get a warm day if the warm days in the 10-day don't bring rain like they're predicting. It gets waxed two, sometimes three times a year.

Note that you can clearly see the reflection of our 14 year old Maxima, the house, the trees in the back yard over the roof, and even the leafless shrub . . . hell, if you know what you're looking for, you can even make out the rooftop TV antenna that now only serves my stereo receiver.

Norm

Last edited:

drewdiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP, 85' SVO
had a silver car that needed to be washed maybe every 3-4 weeks and still looked clean. just got this black mustang and honestly..it needs to be washed every 3 days lol. its never parked in a garage. i live in northern cali

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Really it depends on how anal you are about it. If you are hell bent on having a perfectly shiny car all year around then it will drive you crazy and you will hate having a dark car. If you are like me you will believe that even dirty a car in DIB looks better than a clean white or silver one. This is not to bash white and silver because they are nice and I can see liking them but certain other colors have more upside depending on your taste.

My advice is ask yourself what type of person you are and you will have your answer.

Chris

Nailed it. Less about the car, more about the owner. I could not care less if my car was dirty. I bet I had more fun making my car dirty than anyone had making their car clean, then losing brain cells trying to keep it that way.
Sponsored