Sponsored

How accurate is the ecoboost boost gauge?

01gt46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I’m thinking it might be a good option for my 2020 GTPP. Was wondering if they are accurate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The ecoboost gauge just reports a digital boost number calculated by the pcm. The pcm, as you know, does not have a map sensor to read from like the roush kit does. But, it needs to know the manifold pressure so it can accurately model the throttle body flow and open the right amount to achieve desired airflow. It does this using rpm, airflow, and cam position as inputs to a quadratic equation to calculate manifold pressure. That said, the gauge can only be as accurate as the constants used in the quadratic manifold pressure model. I tend to think that the roush model is very accurate because it has to get it right for the purposes of calculating fuel flow. Whipple, on the other hand, can tolerate some error in the model and throttle angle because it’s on a flow PID loop and will correct itself very quickly.

All that to say, the ecoboost boost gauge is only as accurate as the speed-density model in the calibration.

Last edited:

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
The ecoboost gauge just reports a digital boost number calculated by the pcm. The pcm, as you know, does not have a map sensor to read from like the roush kit does. But, it needs to know the manifold pressure so it can accurately model the throttle body flow and open the right amount to achieve desired airflow. It does this using rpm, airflow, and cam position as inputs to a quadratic equation to calculate manifold pressure. That said, the gauge can only be as accurate as the constants used in the quadratic manifold pressure model. I tend to think that the roush model is very accurate because it has to get it right for the purposes of calculating fuel flow. Whipple, on the other hand, can tolerate some error in the model and throttle angle because it’s on a flow PID loop and will correct itself very quickly.

All that to say, the ecoboost boost gauge is only as accurate as the speed-density model in the calibration.

OP
OP

01gt46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I

Thanks for the info but I’ll admit. It confused me. So for a whipple, is there a gauge setup you’d recommend to replace the factory PP gauges?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The ecoboost gauge works well if you just want to replace the vac gauge with a relevant one. It's an inferred value so it's not as accurate as a gauge that is reading boost directly but most guys that use it get a pretty accurate reading. I'm using it on my hellion kit and it is pretty spot on.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Thanks for the info but I’ll admit. It confused me. So for a whipple, is there a gauge setup you’d recommend to replace the factory PP gauges?
Any gauge that pulls from the pcm calculation can only be as accurate as the calculation, which is built by the tuner. I don’t think the Whipple model is that accurate TBH but It might be good enough for your purpose.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I have a vortech, Lund tuned and it is fairly accurate. Usually reads the same as my boost gauge.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I

I did a mechanical boost gauge to the port on the back of the blower housing. I designed and 3D printed a mount for my center (non-PP) vent pod. Plenty of commercial options to do something similar to one of your vent pods though and have an accurate gauge. Something like this would accomplish pretty much the same thing: https://lmr.com/item/ATI-VPOD76/mustang-vent-gauge-pod-15-17

FB7F999D-74A5-4F61-B7A9-3D373FFBDB71.jpeg

910AEDA2-04BB-4406-9953-1AB4BDCF46B5.jpeg

AE1F6885-3CFC-428F-A5C3-2F1348E2BA17.jpeg

E73512A3-E21A-4028-B71D-E98B54799094.jpeg

Last edited:

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I used the ecoboost gauge on my whippled '18. It was pretty close, and worked fine for my purposes. Plus it's nice that it plugs right into the factory location.

Sponsored

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
Did you have to enable anything to get the OEM boost gauge to work? Mine is reading vacuum but never shows boost

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
FYI, I installed a 3 bar map sensor and logged data alongside the pcm inferred pressure to check the Whipple speed density model. To my surprise, it was accurate within 1/2 all the way from 3 to 29 psia. Take this with a grain of salt, as I’ve tweaked the Whipple cal quite a lot and made big changes to the exhaust that should lower the manifold pressure vs the model calibrated for stock exhaust.

mitsuchris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
platinum white gt premium
i just installed the eco boost gauge pod and was wondering if it was accurate or not. i was going to get a normal boost gauge to check it also. with my 3.8 pulley on the paxton i am hitting 10lbs on the eco boost gauge so i am assuming it is pretty accurate. glad to see most are seeing it as pretty accurate though. (had to edit, I put 3.6 and I meant to put 3.8 pulley.)

Last edited:

svildosola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
FYI, I installed a 3 bar map sensor and logged data alongside the pcm inferred pressure to check the Whipple speed density model. To my surprise, it was accurate within 1/2 all the way from 3 to 29 psia. Take this with a grain of salt, as I’ve tweaked the Whipple cal quite a lot and made big changes to the exhaust that should lower the manifold pressure vs the model calibrated for stock exhaust.
hi Engineermike,
great posts man, thanks for sharing.

I'm waiting for the Whipple SC kit and want to get into polishing the tune myself. wondering if you could point me on the right direction as of what it takes to get a map sensor installed and wired to the pcm, basically:
- what sensor did you use?
- the wiring, is there a tech doc i could follow? ( i was thinking that since the roush kit comes with a map if i can find their SC installation guide i might find the answer there...thoughts?
- i assume once hooked up to the PCM then it will be another available param I could use on HP

also, im all new to ford tuning, i learned and tuned myself my previous car (chevy), any good documentation source you can share will be much appreciated!

thank you.
Sponsored