Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oh no, that's the final straw for the FPC? Say it ain't so!
Yep. I feel is financially irresponsible to buy another FPC and continue chasing issues. ha. CPC and custom cams will make power and get me going faster.

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
I’ve heard there are significant availability issues right now for crate engines. Aluminators are non existent.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’ve heard there are significant availability issues right now for crate engines. Aluminators are non existent.
I just need a crank. Block, rods/pistons, and heads are good. I'n hoping I can find one

edit: And cams obviously :)

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
I really hope the Voodoo platform can get sorted one day for track reliability. It’s got inherent flaws, but I’ve kept my fingers crossed that some smart engine builders/ aftermarket manufacturers can overcome the limitations.

As you discovered, being on the leading edge is expensive.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
I just need a crank. Block, rods/pistons, and heads are good. I'n hoping I can find one

edit: And cams obviously :)
M-6303-M52B, give Scoggins Dickey a call see how long it takes. FWIW, the predator crank shows in stock, which is what the FP part is. FP crank comes with bolt which is larger than Voodoo bolt.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Sorry to hear man…. If i did not just sell my second “spare “ I would have offered it to you … at least to get you going .

if you can’t find. 5.2 crank you could use the Boss … lose a little bit of compression /displacement but also “quench “ I am told , so may be not ideal .

Hopefully you can find cams .
May be the predator ones will work ?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I really hope the Voodoo platform can get sorted one day for track reliability. It’s got inherent flaws, but I’ve kept my fingers crossed that some smart engine builders/ aftermarket manufacturers can overcome the limitations.

As you discovered, being on the leading edge is expensive.
I'm not sure it will without some major changes (like stoke). We did everything right on this one and still broke it.

I also had some convos over the past few days with folks in the industry that don't give me hope. I need to put my thoughts together better before I share, but essentially I don't think it'll happen. Some big brands that support the factory race efforts walked away from the FPC and refuse to support it.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sorry to hear man…. If i did not just sell my second “spare “ I would have offered it to you … at least to get you going .

if you can’t find. 5.2 crank you could use the Boss … lose a little bit of compression /displacement but also “quench “ I am told , so may be not ideal .

Hopefully you can find cams .
May be the predator ones will work ?
I'm hoping to drop some L&M or Comp Cams (or something similar) in. Now that I am going CPC, there are a good amount of options for custom cams. I want something that takes advantage of the lockouts. I'm okay waiting a few months. Waiting on the race trailer anyways.

In the meantime, I'll go harass some people in the Miata

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I always wondered how feasible it would be to have a custom UDDU billet crank and cams made along with individual intake runners to convert the firing order to a UDDU order. Any thoughts?

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I'm not sure it will without some major changes (like stoke). We did everything right on this one and still broke it.

I also had some convos over the past few days with folks in the industry that don't give me hope. I need to put my thoughts together better before I share, but essentially I don't think it'll happen. Some big brands that support the factory race efforts walked away from the FPC and refuse to support it.
Damn, was it more or less the vibrations with heavy track use? There's a fast R out here (Christian Burke) that's supposedly also going the same route as you. Was hoping you would stick with the FPC but I get not wanting to deal with constantly chasing issues. Good luck with the new build though.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
You might find this useful:
1646714648335.jpeg
Curious if you can achieve the same result by just switching to a cross plane engine harness ?

dem00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Ruby Red
This thread constantly pushes me in and out of supporting this platform. 😢

Regardless, thank you for your contribution to this wonderful car. I'm excited to see what path you take with this engine!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I always wondered how feasible it would be to have a custom UDDU billet crank and cams made along with individual intake runners to convert the firing order to a UDDU order. Any thoughts?
I always wondered this too. But you'd need to also change out the intake to a dual plenum (added cost/complexity) and then you're still fighting the bore/stroke issues. I guess you could go with a shorter stroke and lighten everything up, but I doubt it's worth the effort. The Coyote architecture just wasn't built for this type of RPM and use.

Damn, was it more or less the vibrations with heavy track use? There's a fast R out here (Christian Burke) that's supposedly also going the same route as you. Was hoping you would stick with the FPC but I get not wanting to deal with constantly chasing issues. Good luck with the new build though.
Sounds like it. I have some more thoughts to share based on some convos I've had with folks in the industry over the last week, but it sounds like no one can reasonably solve the issues in a way that is satisfactory for extreme duty use. Essentially it boils down to not being able to dampen it enough.

You might find this useful:
1646714648335.jpeg
Excellent. Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely be re-pinning :)

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Kevin - Sorry to hear about this issue, but enthusiastic to watch the next level of development of the Honey Badger, for sure!

When I bought the Mule, I did so with the plan that if the engine (a replacement Gen2) takes a dump, I'll be going CPC with the replacement.