Sponsored

Honestly, Options/Packages Seem Stupidly Aimed At Women

Chambo007

Threads
Reaction score
I can buy this a little bit, but I bet Ford also had other things in mind when they made this admittedly strange decision. That said, while I hope and expect some Ford execs, marketing people etc read this forum, is anyone writing in to complain? Maybe if enough people do they'll reconsider.
I have sent tweets to Scott Monty https://twitter.com/ScottMonty he says he will forward concerns to Team Mustang.

I also addressed the same issues on the Ford Mustang official FB page. https://www.facebook.com/fordmustang

PP, brembo brake option, and 3.73 gears should be available on auto GTs in my opinion and I am going to make it known to whoever will hear me. Also addressed the fact that on the base GT the only wheel options are the skinny 18" ugly aluminum wheels. We should be able to get the 19" black gloss from the PP or the 20" machined aluminum.

Make your concerns known ppl!
Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
PP, brembo brake option, and 3.73 gears should be available on auto GTs in my opinion
What is your intended use for 3.73s with an auto? Is it for drag use? Do you know that, assuming nothing has changed since MY 2014, 1st gear in the auto is much steeper than the manual? Its 4.17 first gear ratio (3.66 for manual) combined with 3.73 diff would potentially make wheel spin a major issue on launches unless you're running slicks...

Just wanted to be sure you (and others) really understand the implications of what you're demanding before you make a bunch of noise about it.

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
What is your intended use for 3.73s with an auto? Is it for drag use? Do you know that, assuming nothing has changed since MY 2014, 1st gear in the auto is much steeper than the manual? Its 4.17 first gear ratio (3.66 for manual) combined with 3.73 diff would potentially make wheel spin a major issue on launches unless you're running slicks...

Just wanted to be sure you (and others) really understand the implications of what you're demanding before you make a bunch of noise about it.

Other than the gears, everything else in the PP seems to be intended for better handling, not straight line performance; why do the automatic guys want the PP so badly?

People who take their car to track days (with corners) are not the people who buy automatics.

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
...why do the automatic guys want the PP so badly?...
Perhaps it is the point of choice. I will most certainly buy a manual equipped car, but having the choice between the two seems fundamental to car buying. Today it's a limit on auto with PP. What comes tomorrow? This goes along the same basis as being limited to the gloss black wheels with PP. People want choice. It has been touted that one of the things that make the Mustang a Mustang is the many customization options. In my opinion, Ford is taking a step away from this principle.

Chambo007

Threads
Reaction score
Other than the gears, everything else in the PP seems to be intended for better handling, not straight line performance; why do the automatic guys want the PP so badly?

People who take their car to track days (with corners) are not the people who buy automatics.
I am not that crazy about the PP. I do however think there should be a Brembo Brake package with better wheel options for the auto.

I understand what you are saying about the gears, scottpe, but I still think it should be an option we can get when we order the car.

Also the MY14 GT came with 3.31 gears right? And the 2015 is to come with 3.15. So if I do end up buying this car I guess the optional 3.55 would be the sweet spot then rather than fighting for 3.73s? Now that I look back to my tweets and posts on FB and emails to Ford, it seems I didnt mention gearing at all. Just the lack of PP or brembo opt and lack of wheel options for base GT.

The lack of brembo and wheel options is whats killing me atm. I really dont want to shell out nearly 40k for a car that I hate the wheels of. I mean, nothing besides skinny 18s unless I pay for premium trim??? why? I dont want leather or the screen or any of that other fluff on my mustang. Yet there are several optional wheels I would add that just arent available on the base GT and thats silly to me.

cheers

Sponsored

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
I've wondered about sport cars ratio of manual vs auto sold...Do you have a link to the statists?
Sadly I have no data on the take rate for the transgendered....:crazy:

40% taking the manual on the C7 is actually considered high, even in corvette circles.

A surprising 40 percent of C7 Corvette buyers opt for the seven-speed manual transmission, with the rest opting for the six-speed automatic.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/05...ssion-in-2014-corvette-stingray-remains-high/

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that most brake upgrades don't decrease stopping distances nearly as much as they get rid of heat a lot better for more repeated slamming on of the brakes, like you'd do after 30 laps. Slamming on your brakes 3 times in a row, i doubt you'd see much if any difference between the brakes in terms of distance or fade, but do it 10 times and you'll see a huge difference. How do you use your brakes?

I do plan on wearing through my factory rubber, but as soon as the tires are bald, I'm getting new wheels so look in the forsale section a couple months after the car is out and my PP wheels will be up for sale.

OP
OP
Terlingua

Terlingua

Threads
Reaction score
I can buy this a little bit, but I bet Ford also had other things in mind when they made this admittedly strange decision. That said, while I hope and expect some Ford execs, marketing people etc read this forum, is anyone writing in to complain? Maybe if enough people do they'll reconsider.
That would be the goal. :thumbsup:

I'm a potential (male) buyer.

I'm willing to get a Mustang if it's near the top of the Mustang food chain in terms of handling & performance - that means at least the PP.

It has to be automatic, or I won't trade (from my Corvette convertible) to a new Mustang.

So as of now, no Mustang. Let's hope Ford reconsiders with Job 2 and the Convertibles: Convertible GT, Paddle-shift, PP.

And in case Ford is reading & profiling (not likely, but anyway) - some previous cars:

2013 Corvette
2005 Viper
2003 Corvette
2001 BMW M3

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4

The car is pulling people from other brands where the automatic is faster around the corners and the straight lines, so people expect performance. You know at some point Ford will get with the times and get something like the 8 speed ZF, right?

It sounds like you live still in the 1990s, was a good decade though.

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
The car is pulling people from other brands where the automatic is faster around the corners and the straight lines, so people expect performance. You know at some point Ford will get with the times and get something like the 8 speed ZF, right?

90's? naw too computerized, in the late 80's was truly the optimal mix of fuel injected engines with no other nannies. back when we had little weight so we didn't need crazy power and steering wheels that communicated with the front wheels; them were the days...

but i'm not living there, i'm living in the paddock of willow springs, of chuckawalla, of buttonwillow and laguna seca, walk around the paddock on an amature track day, where people race what that drove to the track. It's a flood of manual transmission, where the only automatics at the track are driven by crazy nutters who took a family car and tried to make a race car out of it but there was never a manual transmission version, those are the only ones in the cold pit with automatics.

take a quick vote, everyone post here if you've driven your automatic on a road course more than three times.
as a test, who here has driven their manual on a road course more than three times.

anyone who's walked a paddock knows the statistics back fords decision.

Sponsored

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
90's? naw too computerized, in the late 80's was truly the optimal mix of fuel injected engines with no other nannies. back when we had little weight so we didn't need crazy power and steering wheels that communicated with the front wheels; them were the days...

but i'm not living there, i'm living in the paddock of willow springs, of chuckawalla, of buttonwillow and laguna seca, walk around the paddock on an amature track day, where people race what that drove to the track. It's a flood of manual transmission, where the only automatics at the track are driven by crazy nutters who took a family car and tried to make a race car out of it but there was never a manual transmission version, those are the only ones in the cold pit with automatics.

take a quick vote, everyone post here if you've driven your automatic on a road course more than three times.
as a test, who here has driven their manual on a road course more than three times.

While its true you see a ton more manuals on the track I take issue still with

- only family cars forced to be track cars have automatics (all the new exotics and high end cars are going automatic only).

- someone who drives an automatic car doesn't have fun on the corners and therefore would have no use for a PP.

I just don't think it has to be so black/white. I'd prefer a manual but this is going to be our main car and I'm the only one who drives stick. I don't see why that means I don't enjoy tearing up some corners or going to the track.

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S

Totally agree Ford needs to offer a hi-po auto.
You are aware Ford is working on a 10 speed auto for rear drive applications?
I wish they would but I don't see them buying ZF's.

OP
OP
Terlingua

Terlingua

Threads
Reaction score

You're kidding right?

Take a vote: What % of PP ever see the track? 1%?

A PP at the track is a nice image, but reality is that PP cars will see the track about as often as a Mercedes M class sees the Baja.

Tracking a car is great fun (I personally prefer to beat up someone else's car, or vintage racing). But if my intent were to track a car, a new 2015 Mustang is the last place I would start looking.

Track usage has virtually no real connection to Ford's offering a PP on the Mustang. It's just another, well-appreciated, hot-on-the-street marketing option.

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
While its true you see a ton more manuals on the track I take issue still with

- only family cars forced to be track cars have automatics (all the new exotics and high end cars are going automatic only).

- someone who drives an automatic car doesn't have fun on the corners and therefore would have no use for a PP.

I just don't think it has to be so black/white. I'd prefer a manual but this is going to be our main car and I'm the only one who drives stick. I don't see why that means I don't enjoy tearing up some corners or going to the track.
I haven't seen too many new gt3's around yet, but lots of 997 manuals; other than porsche's, exotics don't come to the race track, i've never seen a single lambo or a ferrari out there, at least not at the poor little tracks i go to. there are a fair amount bmw M's, but even an amg merc. is rare, it's not about the car, it's about the type of customer who buys the car.

People that want to show off in supercars that never see the track (atleast i've never seen at the track, around my area i only see those cars cruising down HWY 111) do favor automatics, But that is not the buyer who takes his car to the track.

when was the last time you pushed any car so hard on the street that you produced understeer?

If you can't remember the last time or the last time was never, then why do you need a higher limit when you can't reach the lower limit?

I understand you like to take corners in your automatic, lots of people do, but if you're not reaching the limit of grip in a lower model, why do you need a higher model?

I live in a rich area with lots of 85 year old women who drive around in v12 SL65 AMG's who never crack 35mph or 2,500rpm's; they only buy the cars because they're the top of the line and the most expensive, so they can brag to their friends how rich they are. they never use the power, it's all about "i got mine fully loaded with everything i possibly could" and the automatic owners wanting the PP starts to feel like more people just want it so they can brag they got every option and the top of the line while never using it.
Sponsored