Sponsored

Honestly, Options/Packages Seem Stupidly Aimed At Women

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
I fully agree that manual transmission is not hard at all, any idiot can do it, it's nothing special in any way, shape, or form. What is special is that for some reason unknown to me, no one else is actually doing it.
Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
I fully agree that manual transmission is not hard at all, any idiot can do it, it's nothing special in any way, shape, or form. What is special is that for some reason unknown to me, no one else is actually doing it.
I think the reasons are many. Some of it is that automatic transmissions have improved significantly in performance over the years. Some of it is that there is a younger generation that simply has not had much exposure to manuals and thus stick with what they know. Some of it is because frankly the population is growing and traffic is becoming an issue in more and more cities.

And I hate to say it, but I think some of it might be because we've become lazier as a society. Now, obviously that's a generalization. Clearly someone wanting an automatic does not necessarily mean they are lazy. But I do think there is something to it on a larger scale.

Regardless of the reasons, the bottom line is that manuals are becoming less common. I fear that some day they will be a niche item that will be exclusively available as part of a special 'track pack' or the like, rather than a standard feature. That would be a crying shame...

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Regardless of the reasons, the bottom line is that manuals are becoming less common. I fear that some day they will be a niche item that will be exclusively available as part of a special 'track pack' or the like, rather than a standard feature. That would be a crying shame...
That is my motivation. Among a group of car guys, i'm seen as an automotive extremist; thats a little sad, but I recognize myself as the canary in the automotive coal mine.

Not_sure

Threads
Reaction score
I have a feeling, or at least strongly hope in that the auto package would give you the potential to shift faster than a traditional manual gearbox.

Quick shifts = quick times.

I digress, I love the 5sp in my 4.6 right now and it certainly makes it an occasion when rocking and rolling and having fun. :D

Michael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Corvette
A Mustang GT PP option not offered with an automatic or in a convertible? (forget the limited 50th - that's just a limited showroom mark-up tool). Even Ferraris come in automatics now. The Corvette Z06 has an automatic. Even race cars are automatics these days! :shrug:
Try to buy a Z28 with an auto. Not happening. Viper? Nope. Corvette C7R race car? Nada.

It's nice to see a few manual trans goodies thrown to the hard core drivers for a change.

Michael

Sponsored

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
Try to buy a Z28 with an auto. Not happening. Viper? Nope. Corvette C7R race car? Nada.

It's nice to see a few manual trans goodies thrown to the hard core drivers for a change.

Michael
While I agree it is nice to see, there is probably other forces at work here. Part of it is probably due to the power/torque ratings of the engines you are referring to are more than the autos those companies have can support. MTs are cheaper to develop and make stronger.

On the flip side, you could just as easily talk about the opposite.

Want an MT in a 911 Turbo or GT3? Try again.
McLearan 12C or P1? Nope.
Ferrari 458? Not there.
Mercedes SLS? Never gonna' happen.
Anything Lamborghini? Not anymore.

And all of those are faster and more desirable.

It is interesting to note that when money is no object, the MT is typically the first to go.

mustanghobo

Threads
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure ford will offer the PP on autos on next years model if not later on in the debut models life.

Its a ploy to make the anniversary model more limited and collectible.

Blue_blur47

Threads
Reaction score
Most women buy automatics.

They assume men will be satisfied with sticks.

Since mostly only the male buyers care about the PP option, they only offer it in stick - no automatic.

Trust me, that is their math.

Chevy woke up and offered the 600+ HP Z06 with an automatic. Time for Ford to wake up too. Hey Ford: focus on that instead of cars on top of the empire state building. :rant:
What? Math involves numbers and variables. Options and Packages isn't math.

You make zero sense. :thumbdown:

mustanghobo

Threads
Reaction score
That is my motivation. Among a group of car guys, i'm seen as an automotive extremist; thats a little sad, but I recognize myself as the canary in the automotive coal mine.

It will happen eventually. With less people buying vehicles these days the art of manual driving is going to die.

Most 16-23 yr olds have no idea how a manual works.

If not for it being so widely available in the past, there would probably be even less MT knowledgeable drivers today.

I honestly think they are archaic with a higher variable for human error than an automatic.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
I honestly think they are archaic with a higher variable for human error than an automatic.
Funny. Isn't that just a pessimistic way of saying it requires some skill? ;)

Personally, I don't want all of the skill removed from driving, thank you. We're already headed that direction, and have been for a long time, unfortunately.

Sponsored

deven2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deven
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT w/ PP
I glottal say it out loud: The Mustang GT options seem diluted to capture women buyers.

A Mustang GT PP option not offered with an automatic or in a convertible? (forget the limited 50th - that's just a limited showroom mark-up tool). Even Ferraris come in automatics now. The Corvette Z06 has an automatic. Even race cars are automatics these days! :shrug:

But noooo… Ford figures automatics are only for non-performance oriented females. :crazy:

We know Ford wishes the number of women buyers would increase for the Mustang like they once were, but c'mon. The market has changed - women have other options nowadays (e.g. Kia Soul and other cute zoomy cars).

I've waited for the specs on the 2015 - and big time disappointed now. :frusty:
My little sister drives manual, and she's 21...

... and did you classify the Kia Soul as a "cute zoomy car"? There's nothing zoomy about it.

If you can't handle the skill required to drive manual, then don't buy one or the PP! I'm not getting the PP mainly because I don't like the rims offered for it. The slightly higher gear ratio may help initial acceleration slightly with a tid bit more torque, but I have manual on my GT Premium anyways, and I feel 3.55:1 ratio will put out plenty of torque to get my Stang movin' in a hurry.

Anyone else feel like the PP will only have subtle differences? 3.55:1 to 3.73:1 doesn't seem that massive of a difference to me... It's a personal preference just like everything else I guess...

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Funny. Isn't that just a pessimistic way of saying it requires some skill? ;)

Personally, I don't want all of the skill removed from driving, thank you. We're already headed that direction, and have been for a long time, unfortunately.

It doesn't not matter what we're talking about, everything in life falls under "If you don't use it, you lose it"
Don't like to parallel park? new fords will park for you, but after a while of relying on the car to parallel park and you lose the ability to parallel park very well because there is no practice.

the same thing applies to driving.

Those who like to and want to drive will keep up the practice and the ability, those who don't like to drive will just become worse at it.

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
While I agree it is nice to see, there is probably other forces at work here. Part of it is probably due to the power/torque ratings of the engines you are referring to are more than the autos those companies have can support. MTs are cheaper to develop and make stronger.

On the flip side, you could just as easily talk about the opposite.

Want an MT in a 911 Turbo or GT3? Try again.
McLearan 12C or P1? Nope.
Ferrari 458? Not there.
Mercedes SLS? Never gonna' happen.
Anything Lamborghini? Not anymore.

And all of those are faster and more desirable.

It is interesting to note that when money is no object, the MT is typically the first to go.
I'm not 100% confident what ceo said (but i think it was lamborghini's) "The problem is, the skill level of the driver doesn't increase with the cost of the car"

Some cars, like the GT3, are really focused for the track and trying to push the fact that their transmission is faster, however the buyers have been throwing a fit over it; mostly because it's not as engaging.

The SLS and labmo's....look at the average buyer of a either car, not a manual transmission buyer, they're flash and money, but it's not the same buyer as, say a GT3 or a more "race inclined" driver.

With these cars, money is no object but sometimes they have details they feel are more important than making a track car.
Sponsored